Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What to do for my 50th birthday?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What to do for my 50th birthday? Next Topic  

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  2:09:44 PM  Show Profile
I turn 50 next April. That seems sort of a milestone to me and I want to do something memorable, but I'm having a hard time deciding.

What I have come up with:
1. Ride the portions of the PCT in Oregon that I have not yet ridden. The entire trail in OR is over 400 miles long. I have ridden most of the central sections, leaving about 150 miles +/- on the southern and northern ends. So for this option, do I ride one portion this year and the remaining one the following year? Do I do both portions this year? Either way will take some figuring, especially on how to get the trailer from Point A to Point B once I am dropped off.

2. Ride a loop around the Three Sisters in the Three Sisters Wilderness (which I have done twice) but extending the number of days spent and riding in to some new country.

3. Ordering a new, custom saddle. I have a nice saddle that I bought from my sister-in-law a few years back. Nothing wrong with it. I just have saddle envy, I guess. Besides, isn't this what horse people do--upgrade?

4. Make two different twin-size quilts, one for me and one for the trailer.

So, what do you think? I guess this is an informal poll.

And did you do something memorable for your 50th?

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  2:50:48 PM  Show Profile
I spent my 50th at MaryJane's Farm Bed and Breakfast! Great way to unwind and indulge yourself.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  3:38:48 PM  Show Profile
Skinny Dipping!

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  4:32:58 PM  Show Profile
I like Julie's idea - but I would add skinny dipping some place warm...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  6:35:45 PM  Show Profile
Sky Diving
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  7:02:53 PM  Show Profile
Loyce, just wanted to say Congratulations on turning 50. I think life just got better for me when I turned 50.. I went and bungee jumped, no one else in my family has done that. They were all amazed. It was a blast. Just do what makes you happy. You only turn 50 once!! although, I have to tell you that it seems like the older you get the bolder you get. I am now 61 and still having a blast in life. Hugs from a farmgirl!! #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  8:50:56 PM  Show Profile
Loyce:
I believe, being it is the 50th bithday, that a new pair of BOOTS would be in order!!!! I love, love, love boots.
If you do get a new pair of boots, let us see them. I hope you have a wonderful and memorable birthday.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  9:35:54 PM  Show Profile
I have a friend who had a neat 50th birthday party.

She turned the candles around and had a 5th birthday party!!

Everyone showed up in pigtails and 'kid' style clothing. They played pin the tail on the donkey, the egg and spoon game, ate ice cream cones and birthday cake and then had a slumber party complete with funny pajamas! It was actually really fun and we watched all our favorite disney cartoons and ate junk food and pizza and popcorn and drank hot chocolate. It was completed with a pajama pancake breakfast with chocolate milk to drink.

I told her I was totally stealing the idea for my 40th and 50th and 60th and any other zero ending birthday I have! I loved it!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  01:55:47 AM  Show Profile
Loyce,
I was so excited you see your post . . . I turn 50 in December and I am so excited, too. I thought I might be a bit crazy, no one seemed to understand why I was excited about the big 5-0. Glad to see you are embracing your excitement, too. I haven't decided how to mark the big day, either. I will be staying tuned to this thread to see all the ideas . . .

Congratulations in advance!!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  08:54:08 AM  Show Profile
I got a tattoo.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  09:11:02 AM  Show Profile
Wow--what a gamut of different celebrations. Thanks.

I thought about the boots. There is a boot maker in town. I had a pair of burgundy and grey kangaroo dress packers made for my 40th. Obviously, they aren't worn out yet. But several years later I had them make a pair of burgundy bullhide using packers and they get lots of wear but haven't worn out yet. Darn.

And I like the "05" party. I can just picture several 5-something ladies in their jammies having a slumber party. Too funny!

Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  3:43:31 PM  Show Profile
I turn 50 in Feb and am also looking forward to it. There is a wellness center here you have to be 50 to join and then it is only $25 for a year. Gym,pools,pottery,scrapbooking all sorts of classes, flower gardens etc. So I am planning on going there that day and joining.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  8:53:45 PM  Show Profile
gosh,lea, that sounds like heaven! Wish there was something like that around here.

marianne
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  10:05:56 PM  Show Profile
I think they all sound grand! Why not try for all of them during your 50th year? My best friend just turned 65 this year and she celebrated by jumping out of a perfectly good airplane! Tsk, tsk.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  07:29:06 AM  Show Profile
Marianne I think the story behind the wellness center was it was Steve Womacks baby. He was mayor of Rogers,Ar. where this is located. He has since been elected to Congress. Maybe since he is serving on a national level he can start one in every state.lol
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  09:29:26 AM  Show Profile
I found something--my dad turns 80 in January. I am planning to go to Alaska for that occasion as a surprise! I called my mom yesterday to make sure that they wouldn't be gone then.

The impetus for this comes from the fact that my mother-in-law's sister turns 80 on Sunday. One sister-in-law is coming down from AK just for the surprise party. Struck me as a good idea.

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  12:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I plan on skydiving for my 50th birthday and having it filmed as I am flying through the air. That would be my vote for you.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Herman Cain

Edited by - ClaireSky on Nov 04 2011 12:49:01 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What to do for my 50th birthday? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page