nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  3:11:34 PM  Show Profile
I need a recipe for pumpkin bread made with yeast. I used the recipe from Farm Journal published in the 60's for years but I don't have the book anymore. Does anyone have a copy of that cookbook and would be so kind as to print the recipe? The recipe makes a huge loaf loaded with cinnamon and is just perfect with ham which I'm serving for Thanksgiving this year.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  4:04:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy,

I don't have that cookbook, but I do have a really good recipe in fact I just made it 2 weeks ago to use in place of regular bread for a french toast casserole.

Here it is:

Pumpkin Bread

3 1/4 - 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 packages active dry yeast
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup cooked mashed pumpkin
3/4 cup raisins

In large mixing bowl thoroughly combine 1 1/2 cups flour, yeast, and spices. In saucepan heat milk, brown sugar, butter and salt just till warm (115-120 degrees) stirring constantly. Add to dry mixture in mixing bowl; add pumpkin. Beat at low speed of electric mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes at high speed.

By hand stir in raisins and enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead till smooth and elastic (5-8 minutes). Shape into a ball. Place in lightly greased bowl, turning once. Cover and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour). Punch down, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into loaf; place in greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise till double (about 30 minutes). Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Remove from pan and cool.

From BH&G Heritage Cookbook

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Oct 27 2011 4:05:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  6:29:24 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for the recipe. I didn't use raisens in my recipe but I can always leave them out when I try yours.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  8:56:57 PM  Show Profile
Sharon:
That recipe sounds very good. I think I may try it. I've never made my own bread, I had a bread machine which I just loved. But, the recipe sounds like I may be able to do. I'm not much of a baker, but I'll try. Thanks.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  05:52:34 AM  Show Profile
I hope you girls like it :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory