Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Tea and Coffee Next Topic  

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  07:04:00 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
This morning started out with a stack of fabric to tea dye for my newest project. Of course I am a bit ADD, so half way through I decided to try dying some with coffee. The coffee didn't give the super deep coloration I had expected, but it does give a nice warmth that the tea didn't. Comparing and contrasting my newly "antiqued" fabric made me wonder what experiences you ladies have had with tea and coffee dye. I also got me to thinking about other natural dyes like onion peel. Please, let me know your thoughts, ideas, and expertise on these mediums.

www.muddyprincess.wordpress.com

www.barefootfashion.wordpress.com

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  08:19:51 AM  Show Profile
I so love using natural plants ect for my dyes...have you ever done dandelion? using the leaves & heads gives a great light greenish color that is so pretty.....Red onion peels give a nice soft pink to raspberry color depending on how many peels you have...I agree that coffee & tea have slightly different colors...I think the tea has more of a tan where as the coffee gives the browns colors....you will have fun trying different things to use as dyes...helpful hint...get a plastic milk jug or small bucket that you can set aside & pack that full of your plant material with boiling water & just let it sit for a day or if its hot outside put it out in the sun to heat up even more during the day.....the longer it sits the darker the color you will get...with the milk jug cut an area near the top big enough that you can dump out the wet used plants after you are done but don't cut the top completely off....reason for this is you can use the regular opening to drain the water without having all the plant material follow the liquid...when done turn it so the bigger opening is there so you can dump the plant stuff in the compost....nothing I hate more than having to strain & restrain to get all the plant material out of the liquid.....you all have poke berry bushes there so try that...now thats a super fun color but please wear gloves when handling berries unless you want to wear that color for quite along time.....all of these can be set with salt to hold the color in to the fabric...or go get a container of Alum at the grocery store in the spice section & use 1-2 T in the hot water when you add the fresh plant material....have a great time & let us know what you do & learn...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  08:23:58 AM  Show Profile
When I was in boarding school, I used to dye my hair with almond tea. The smell was intoxicating and it gave a nice hint of rich brown on my blond locks. I've used beet dye on baby onsies, and walnut dye to make ink to write with, also. Marigold makes some of the prettiest colored dyes!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  10:28:24 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Great ideas! The milk jug sounds a lot more time efficient than boiling the mess on the stove all day. Beet and marigold are both intriguing. I wonder, does paprika make red-gold dye? Am I suppose to chemically set tea dye? I never have in the past. I just dry it on high heat in the dryer.

When I was a little girl I baked a bucket full of dandelions in the sun and dyed a set of my mothers old sheets a very pale yellow/green (I set it by soaking in vinegar). As for poke, I usually eat it, but my son likes to use the berries to stain his wood carvings. I can't believe i forgot about those!

www.muddyprincess.wordpress.com

www.barefootfashion.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  3:04:57 PM  Show Profile
When i did paprika it came out yellow on the fabric..so i don't know if I didn't use enough or what...but it was still pretty....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Tea and Coffee Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page