Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic friendships and busyness Next Topic
Page: of 2

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  08:51:38 AM  Show Profile
I hear ya too. I was thinking just last week: MY email inbox is b o r i n g yawn . I used to get more emails from friends but not anymore. Guess most are too busy with either FB or any other social media.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410

Edited by - dutchy on Oct 31 2011 08:52:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  08:18:52 AM  Show Profile
I agree, that most of my e-mails are from farmgirls from meeting here. They are very encouraging and very much appreciated.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  1:10:34 PM  Show Profile
We are the only ones in our extended family to not be on Facebook (we have no interest in participating) and we get a lot of grief about it from other family members. We even had one close family member's husband have a heart attack and we didn't find out about it for a week. Stunned, we asked why no one told us and immediately asked how he was doing - the answer was, "Weren't you following the updates on Facebook?" WHAT?!

I also find that a lot of my friends have been falling by the wayside lately. A lot of the friends I made when my oldest two daughters were little now have no kids at home during the day (because they are at school) and I do have small ones at home (and will have all of them when we start homeschooling). One of these mom "friends" actually told me she didn't want to get together with me anymore unless I got a sitter and we went out alone because she had decided she really didn't like being around kids anymore (which is sad, because she has two kids of her own - ages 9 and 7!)

As for chores, all my girls love pitching in and do so all summer long. Problem is, when school starts I don't get the oldest two back home at the end of the day until almost 4 pm and school actually gives them about an hour of homework every night (and they are only in 1st and 3rd grades!) By the time we do snack and sort everything out, they're doing homework until well after 5 every night. Then it's time for showers, dinner and then bedtime. No time for pitching in. That's another reason we're homeschooling - we could use our time efficiently, get all our learning and activities done and plan time for tackling chores together. If we can run our family more evenly, everyone would be happier and have more free time and less stress!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  4:52:21 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes it feels as if our way of life is becoming extinct doesnt it?
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  9:47:18 PM  Show Profile
On the other hand, I am frustrated by my relatives who refuse to use email. I am caught up in corporate life which demands twelve-hour days for corporate business, I only have so much time for personal correspondence or personal business or sleep. If they won't use email, I have to use snail mail which requires more manual effort.

I have only so much time to devote to work, home maintenance, food - refueling, exercise, and spiritual matters. I am impatient with relatives who refuse to use email, as it causes me expense, ie. postage, and time addressing envelopes. Most of these relatives actually have email available through family members but refuse to use it as a "protest" of some sort. OK, that's fine, but if they want to communicate with me, they will wait until I have time to deal with their method of communication.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com [ or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  10:16:25 PM  Show Profile
Now that the birth of my baby is imminent, I actually had a girl I went to high school with for one semester message me on Facebook telling me that I suck for not telling her I was pregnant... Uhm, what? Sorry, but we don't talk. We don't email, or even message on FB unless she's telling me how she didn't get her invite to my wedding or that I should've told her I was pregnant... People are so strange sometimes, it drives me bonkers. Just because you're on someone's "Friend list" doesn't make you their friend or entitle you to anything. I think a lot of people feel a false sense of closeness just by having access to a FB page. The more I see of FB and how it changes people into mindless, addicted drones, the more I want to delete my account. Unfortunately, I do have a few great people I love on there, and they do read my blog and keep up with me through other mediums.

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  05:04:42 AM  Show Profile
Brenda I have a friend who is retired now but when she worked her solution was to type the letter or message and instead of email she printed it off and sent copies of the same update to all of us. I guess the gist of all of this is if you really care about someone you will find a way to reach them and to reach out to the needs of others above our own.Natlie congrats on your baby! How exciting! Boy or girl?
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  07:56:41 AM  Show Profile
The only place I feel even remotely connected to another woman is on MJF.
Thank you all for being here. I do believe we are all here on purpose not by accident.
Dysfunctional families,unattached friends, busyness, unfriendly neighbors this world is such a weird place.

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  11:50:10 AM  Show Profile
I agree - I am so thankful for MJF. Before I found the Farmgirl Connection I thought I was some oddball. I want to be with my kids and husband, enjoy nature, have pleasant conversations, laughter, etc and nearly everyone else I know in my area thinks I'm a nut. Here I feel like we all know the things that are good and important.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  1:12:27 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I was just feeling this today about communicating with friends and family and stumbled upon this post. Ya'll have a lot of similar feelings as I do. I feel like we have all the tools in the world to be connected and we are all feeling as isolated as ever. It's hard to find times for us to connect with all our friends. The schedules are bonkers! So much going on that we have some friends we haven't seen (local friends, mind you) in years! It makes me sad. The world seems to be spinning out of control and no one is willing to stop the crazy cycle....except a few :)
I love MJF ladies, cause ya'll love sending real letters and sittin' on a porch shootin' the breeze and loving just the quietness of nature. I'm blessed by ya'll and thankful for such a great community of ladies who take the time to communicate beautifully!

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  6:55:15 PM  Show Profile
...and I was just trying to find the "like" button for some of these posts...heehee

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bvfarm
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Christine
Santa Fe texas
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  10:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Send bvfarm a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by katmom
I hope our world never replaces human contact with impersonal validation.

I love this (not the point of it) - how it is said. tech, including this, is really such impersonal validation. So much of it can be completely misinterpreted without body language, tones of voice...

God is the only cure without sideeffects. Gratitude and Coincidence are His footprints. - CMV
I thank God for my handicaps for, through them, I have found myself, my work, and my God.
- HK
Go to Top of Page

bvfarm
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Christine
Santa Fe texas
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  10:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Send bvfarm a Yahoo! Message
I am really glad I found this too. Moving "out here" ...which is NOT that far from where I was...seems to have isolated me a bit. I attend distance ed school and am not working. I too feel that so many are so busy and really...seems they are simply uncomfortable to truly be real in another's presence anymore. Oh well. I love the pictures of Facebook, and to be able to share something cool or inspirational with several people at one time, but its no substitute. I find myself actually ignoring weird little things like when I long time friend instant messages me rather than calls. When I come to the computer during certain hours, its for business, not time-wasting instant messaging. I'm not really connecting or feeling anything. Its like when I was in the military and they would send out those stupid MEMORANDUMs (always in all caps, numbered, DRRRYYYYYY as heck)It takes so long and just distracts me from my original task, which I do NOT need any help w/distraction!
I also notice it goes with my lovely monthly cycle. Some days are way more lonlier than others. I watch as my guy's friends all stop by, but it takes an act of congress for my dear friends to do so. They are too busy cleaning , caring for the kids (so that their DH can be the one stopping by to visit w/my DH??) yup, thats griping for me. hear a resentment brewing, guess I need to shut this thing off & head to bed. I'm just grateful that K reached out and posted honestly and so many of you followed up. I relate so well!
So...NOW...we all have a solution somewhere in our hearts. Clearly we have identified the problem...any ideas anyone??
I'm game.

God is the only cure without sideeffects. Gratitude and Coincidence are His footprints. - CMV
I thank God for my handicaps for, through them, I have found myself, my work, and my God.
- HK
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic friendships and busyness Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page