Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 The Art of Handspinning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic The Art of Handspinning Next Topic
Page: of 3

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  06:27:23 AM  Show Profile
I haven't had time to play with the fibers yet. Been on vacation with my hubby..Hoping to next week. Also hoping to send your package out to you as well. I hope your going to like it...
Happy Spinning....Deb

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Be like a Sunflower, Turn your Face to the Son.
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7603 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7603 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  2:40:13 PM  Show Profile
How pretty that is, I would love to make something with that color.

quote:
Originally posted by kristin sherrill

nnika, thanks for the lonks. I will look them up soon. I tried the hand spindle and did not like it at all. Way too time consuming for me. I have a spinning wheel and really want to learn on it. It was my great grandmother's wheel. I found a guild close by that is into all this and want to join it. Also am going to a fiber fair in Nov. near here. I have 3 hair ewes right now and a Hamshire-Finn ram. I met a lady at the market a few weeks ago that has Finn sheep. SHe has some to sell!!!! She is in NY right but when she gets back I am going to see her sheep. I want to get 2 ewes. I am so excited I can hardly stand it! I want to learn the whole process from sheep to sweater. And I will! So hopefully this thread will stay going so I can get some good advice.

Sheri, your wool is beautiful! It looks so soft.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Life begins each morning...Each morning is the open door to a new world-new vistas, new aims, new tryings.

By, Leigh Hodges
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4185 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4185 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  04:31:44 AM  Show Profile

Deb, I am sure I will love it.

I just made a doily with some single spun yarn I had leftover on a spool. I think, that is the right term. It turned out really nice. Something different to do with home spun yarn.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  4:42:14 PM  Show Profile
Michele
Hope to see a picture of it ..I just got done a felted bag I knitted up with my fibers. It is in the machine right know , hopefully it comes out..
Deb

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  4:59:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi again! I have been working outside in the gardens so I haven't checked in here for awhile. How did your felted bag turn out, Deb? I haven't touched my wheel for two weeks - eeek! Once I finish spinning what I had started and get it plied with the other bobbin - hopefully it doesn't go wonky after being on the bobbins so long. I am going to try Grace's trick of quickly re-spinning it onto a new bobbin before plying to wake up the twist. I have had some really interesting plied results with Shetland singles that have been on the bobbin too long before plying. The commercial Merino doesn't seem to have a problem with it as it has little or no crimp before it's spun. I would much rather spin the Shetland as it's so easy to spin but I like to ply it with a merino single for softness. Shetland can get a bit scratchy because it is double coated. I try to remove some of the guard hair before combing it but it's still isn't as buttery soft as the merino but it does wear much better. So I like to combine them and get the strength of the Shetland and the softness of the merino.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4185 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4185 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  04:47:29 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, your blend sounds great. Making the yarn a little softer is a great idea. I have heard that you shouldn't leave the yarn on the bobbin too long. What is too long? What happens to the yarn, as far as going wonky? While making the single plied doily, the yarn wanted to twist a bit, but once crocheted it was fine. Even the finest parts of the yarn held together.
You ladies here have taught me alot!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  07:05:02 AM  Show Profile
Felted bag came out nice, just finishing up the handles then I will post a picture for all to see. spinning, knitting etc is so...much...fun.
Deb

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  11:50:20 AM  Show Profile
Well Michele it will look perfectly fine when it's plied on the bobbin but when you get it wet to set the twist the twist "wakes up" and it gets curly and twisty and your finished yarn will look more like a boucle with funky loops and twists instead of a smooth yarn. I guess that's fine if that is what you are after but if it's not....I have found that with the Shetland, even two weeks will sometimes cause that to happen. Grace told me to spin it onto a new bobbin really quickly to wake up the twist before plying. I'm going to give that a try - I will let you know how it works out. Did your doily lay flat okay? I don't usually work with singles because they tend to bias what I am knitting. Perhaps crochet is more forgiving than knitting is. I know a lot of ladies knit with singles.

Looking forward to seeing your bag, Deb. I haven't tried to do any felting yet. I have a lot of wool hanging around so one of these days I am just going to jump in and give it a shot.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4185 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4185 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  4:38:28 PM  Show Profile

this is the doily I did with singles. It probably worked cause I didn't know the rules, that it was not supposed to work! : ) ha I really like how it turned out. Though I have not gotten it wet either. I crocheted right off the bobbin.

Cant' wait to see your bag Deb!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  5:23:33 PM  Show Profile
Your doily looks nice, Michele. It's not that it won't work per se - it depends on the amount of twist, the consistency of the twist. It's just when the yarn is plied the twist becomes balanced and doesn't continue twisting in the direction it is plied. (unless of course you over do it on the plying.) I am no expert by any means but that is the explanation I have read.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4185 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4185 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  04:20:34 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Sheri. Yup I understand the balanced yarn thing. My yarn hangs nicely when I take it off the niddy noddy. The singles I used where a bit over twisted as I crocheted. I had to rip out some and do over, and it all held together. It was fun anyways! something different to make.
Checked out your blog, love you pictures. Your sheep look great. Hope your garden is doing well. Do you sell at a farmers market?
Michele
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4185 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4185 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  04:15:27 AM  Show Profile
Just wanted to thank Deb, sunflower critters, for the nice package she sent. I had emailed also, but wanted to make sure she was thanked.
She sent some of her angora bunny fiber, some alpaca fiber, and a great drop spindle pin.
thanks so much
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  3:58:51 PM  Show Profile
Glad you like the package. I finally spun up the wool you sent me. Love it. I will take a picture of my yarn. Hope to hear and see what you do out of the fibers I sent to you.
Deb

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic The Art of Handspinning Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page