Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  10:41:27 PM  Show Profile
All of my hollyhocks this year came down with a devastating case of rust - they look parched and awful, and they've had enough water and good soil, so.... I was looking for a good, natural spray, and here's a recipe that I found. It says that it's good for rust-free hollyhocks and roses, and also treats black spot.

1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 T. canola oil
1/2 tsp. liquid soap
1/2 C. white vinegar
1 gallon water

Blend ingredients and pour into a spray bottle. Shake thoroughly before each use, and apply weekly to tops and bottoms of leaves. Always remove diseased foliage, and dispose of it in a trash can - don't compost it (so says the recipe).

While it may be too late to try this spray THIS year, I just thought I'd have the recipe on hand for next year, and I also thought that maybe some of you other farmgirls out there had experienced a rust issue, too...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  05:56:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing that, Libbie. I am going to be planting hollyhocks in the spring for the first time, so I am printing this out and putting it in my garden journal!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

zilzirk
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Liz
Fort Mill South Carolina
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  10:45:57 AM  Show Profile
I'll try that too! In my previous gardens in CA, I used to get rust like crazy this time of year. All I did was pick off the offending leaves and clean up the fallen ones too. I did that with roses with then got rust bad - you can completely defoliate a rose and it is ok - comes back nice and fresh! only way to get rid of rust is to get rid of the infected leaves or it just spreads. So prevention with that natural spray would be great!
Do you have to re-spray frequently?

a city girl with farm roots
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  1:54:57 PM  Show Profile
The "recipe" says to spray weekly - so I'd say every week to ten days. I sure hope that this works. Next year will be the test for me...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  8:43:09 PM  Show Profile
What you are describing sounds like Cedar Apple Rust and is very common on hollyhocks in my area. There isn't alot you can do about it but remove the affected leaves and/or remove the affected "host" plants(cedar or apples). Disposal is tricky because this is one of those problems spread by spores so alot of people just live with ugly hollyhock leaves. A friend had moderate success changing the location of the hollyhocks so they were not as near to the offensive "host" plants and had less leaf damage after a few years. Since hollyhocks are biennial, it's always easy to start a fresh crop and experiment with location(sunny and out of the wind is best). Hope that helps...

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Hollyhock rust... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page