Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

nikki
Northern wyoming
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  07:01:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!
Thought I shoot this out there and see what the farmgirls know about this one!
My step-son is 11 years old, his chores have always been to feed, water chickens, make sure dogs have water, and cows, and shower everyday. Well, this seems alot maybe to some, but it's been his list for the last few years, Lately, though he hasn't been accomplishing the tasks. Some mornings I go say Hi to the chickens and they are out of water etc. If he was doing his chores in evening, and morning, there shouldn't be any where to make a mistake. To alleviate things, we offered to do the chores in the mornings. Well, chores are still being incompleted, this even includes a chore list on the fridge, he fails to look at!! Since, chores are not being done extra curriculiar activities are at a stand still. And we are still hitting road blocks.
What do I do? I am pulling my hair out? Suggestions.Please!!!

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  09:30:35 AM  Show Profile
Take away something he likes--video games, tv, computer, friends, cell phone, etc. Maybe for a week. Seems that is the "standard" length of punishment. If he mouths off, add a week.

Or give him something to do that he REALLY dislikes--cleaning the toilet, cleaning up after the dog--and watch him to make sure he does it to your satisfaction. That might get the point across.

Or start out with "X" amount of money in a jar. Everytime he "forgets" a chore, take one unit out. Or take away his allowance.

Good luck.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  7:46:00 PM  Show Profile
This is one of those parenting issues that takes a real diplomat. I am not. My DH is. However, when we hit a roadblock we have no problem talking to a therapist a few times to learn some helpful parenting tips. Some kids will respond to having their things taken away and some will only dig their heels in deeper. I hope you can find a solution soon.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine7
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

nikki
Northern wyoming
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  11:35:58 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Ladies. We have taken away priviliges and even start grounding for a week, no sports, even going to bed without dinner which I don't like.But our theory was if he forgot to feed animals, well " we forgot to feed you", it sounds strict. But we have actually tried all of it and really it hasn't gotten through to him. So I made an appointment to see the pediatrician to start getting help, as what Julie suggested.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  11:44:46 AM  Show Profile
This is the age with boys (this "tween" age) that hormones wreak ten kinds of havoc before you even recognize that they're growing up. 11-13 is like aliens abducted them and then bring them back about 16 or so and everything is back to normal. Sometimes punishment won't do the trick (and I'm not saying you shouldn't do it) but sometimes, finding a new way to motivate him does it better.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Forgetful Son Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page