Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Whats the first homesteading thing you did?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Whats the first homesteading thing you did? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ursula Norsedottir
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Amanda
Nebraska
37 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  8:49:29 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm not sure how it happened, because I was always afraid of getting dirty and eating anything besides potatoes and pasta growing up. But I was a young wife, 18, and pregnant, and I somehow acquired a book from my then-in-laws. It was a copy of "Back to Basics", and I had no idea how it would change my life! All of a sudden I had a little veggie garden, and even a little compost pile. They both failed miserably, but I did it again the next year, and I started making jelly. Again, my garden failed, but by the end of the second year, I had a pressure canner, a sourdough starter, was baking all of our breads from scratch, could get 5 different meals from one chicken, was cloth diapering, and had phased out diaper cream in favor of a homemade version. I had big plans for chickens, goats, and bees. My divorce threw a wrench in the works, but after 5 years and a new Hubby, we have our feet on the ground and on the right path. I still have that book :D

http://theblackbearden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Whats the first homesteading thing you did? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page