junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2006 :  04:55:38 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone made their own sun dried tomatoes? I'm hoping to get enough tomatoes soon, if the critters stop eating them, to try my hand at sun dried, I've never done it before so I needing directions, hints, and tried methods, I'd hate to lose them to the bugs. Thanks!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  9:47:30 PM  Show Profile
I've never made sun dried tomatoes but I found this website:

http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtocookvegetables/a/sundriedrecipe.htm

I'm planning to either get a dehydrator or try the oven method for mine. I just don't see remembering to bring them in every night or keeping the cats out of them while I'm sleeping.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  11:54:36 PM  Show Profile
Laura thanks for sharing this. I love sun dried tomatoes and never thought of doing my own. Think I'll get some Romas at the Farmer's Market to do the oven process. My brandwine plant is covered in green tomatoes that won't be ripe for a while.

If the brandywines don't get ripe then I can have fried green tomatoes - yum! Anyone else like those?

Lotion bars, linen spray, and purses in my online shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Read my ramblings at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  07:20:07 AM  Show Profile
I love fried green tomatoes. It's been a long time since I've had them. I might have to make a special lunch today.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  11:48:10 AM  Show Profile
Laura, thanks so much for the neat link, can't wait to try it out. Another treat with green tomatoes, is green salsa, yummy!

Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  1:50:31 PM  Show Profile
Ooo, do you have a recipe for that, Sue? That would be a great way to deal with the tomatoes that don't ripen before first frost.

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  2:56:41 PM  Show Profile
Did anyone see the Solar Food Dehydrator in MotherEarth News this month? I bet that would be great for sundried tomatoes. The article gave a web page but my motherinlaw has it right now so I can't give it to you. Maybe another reader has it.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  04:39:11 AM  Show Profile
I'll hunt up that recipe, give me a few days, I've got my sister in from Nevada for a visit. Also, has anyone actually sun dried their toms? I've always been curious about bugs getting into them, they say sun dried is the best?

Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  07:35:29 AM  Show Profile
I filled my dehydrator with roma's yesterday. I also canned 18 pints of salsa.

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  10:38:42 AM  Show Profile
Wow Bridgette! I don't have that many ripe tomatoes yet, but I'm planning on putting up a lot of salsa too. I'm hoping for enough for spaghetti sauce too. I want to do a lot of convenience foods for the winter.

Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  5:46:43 PM  Show Profile
Sue,
I dry my own tomatoes and have tried acouple different methods. I have done it in the oven but It wastes too much heat and takes too long. I currently use a dehydrator. I have also done it with the sun but here in the NE all you get is bugs in the tomatoes. I put some in jars with olive oil and garlic which have to be refridgerated and the others go in baggies and in the freezer. I don't like them too dry. If I were to dry them all the way they would probably stay in baggies on the shelf.
In the dehydrator, You cut them in half, put them cut side up and sprinkle a few crumbles of sea or kosher salt on them. Most of the time, it takes over night and I take them out in the morning.
Good Luck
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  04:55:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Mari-dahlia, I like the olive oil and garlic idea. I really want to try to dry some in the sun but without the bugs, I wonder if there's a trick there? I may not have to worry about it this year, something is eating our toms faster than we can pick them! Plus the heat is just taking it's toll on them this year so it maybe a bad year for us here.

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic sun dried tomatoes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page