Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  6:14:52 PM  Show Profile
Wow my son has been out of High school now for over 3 years. He finished up a Trade school in July! (Culinary) I took him over to the Vocational Rehabilitation Resource office in Kissimmee so they could help him with a Job. The Deaf Association picked him up and put him with a job coach. He has put in so many job applications I cannot keep up with how many its been so far. Well over 50! I feel so bad for him . I just keep telling him not to get depressed that it will happen for him. But now I am starting to get depressed for him. It makes him feel so bad asking his Father and I for money. We keep getting little odd jobs for him to do but you know that is not very much money. He just sits at home all the time with his girlfriend. I wonder how much longer God will keep him waiting. I know God has a plan for him. But he has a good attitude about it and always has a smile on his face. He is my special son. I cannot call him my little boy anymore bacause he is 21 years old now. He sits and eats breakfast with me every morning. We talk about the day and what it might bring us. He keeps his phone close by just in case he gets that call!! If someone would just give him a chance they will find out what a wonderful employee he will be for them. He is a hard worker and learns quick. He just has a hard time with communication. He is very smart. He is building his own computer right now. Not many people can do that. He is good with his hands. He loves to cook and laugh with me in the kitchen. He makes the best beef jerkey!!! If things don't happen for him by the end of this year I think I will look in to helping him open up his own restaurant!! What do you think?

Seize The Day!
Dorinda

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  05:30:58 AM  Show Profile
On this side of the world, Goodwill Industries help people get jobs.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  05:32:07 AM  Show Profile
I think that's a great idea. If he can balance a checkbook, he can do business finances. While it's fun to think of your dream restaurant, it's more practical to think about what will make money now. Something that is popping up like crazy here are the little trailer eateries. We have about 3 areas in town with them. They group together in a parking lot with 4 or 5 different trailers. One sells cupcakes, one sells pitas, one sells burgers, etc. It's a big treat for DD when I take her to eat a cupcake and sit at the picnic tables. I definitely think if you can't find a job then make a job.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  05:59:18 AM  Show Profile
If you go food truck, post on here. My little dream is owning a food truck, and I have done extensive research.
If you are wanting him to succed on his own, rather than just set him up, there arre ways to get started in vending for cheap, until you have enough for more equipment, certification, a commisary.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  11:29:24 AM  Show Profile
Okay Trish for some reason goodwill would not take his case. The counselor was not sure why.
We are not allowed to do vending type trailers here in our town. Some other people tried it and the restaurants here had a fit. The city shut all of them down. Our town here for some reason is a competitive type town. People here for some reason do not like to see other people succeed
financially. When my husband started his septic business here some 20 years ago. One of the other competitors called the county on him. We had to pay $500.00 go in front of the county commissioners and ask for approval. They made us do all kinds of crazy stuff just to be able to park one truck here on 40 acres. We already had equipment here because of the orange grove. But they said we could not park any equipment here that pertained to the business. We did it anyways and my husband dared anyone to say we were not using it in the grove. They would have to prove it. They just took our ag away on 5 acres of the property because someone said we were not using that piece for Ag. Now our property taxes went up $2,000.00. If he wants to do a restaurant here he would have to lease a place like in one of the strip malls or a building in town. There is a $80,000.00 impact fee to open up a restaurant in town. Crazy!!!! I was selling some of his beef jerky for him to friends and clients. He also makes great crab cakes!!! But thanks so much for the information. Now he could do a vending type truck maybe at certain functions . Like the fair, craft shows, hum or the spring fling. That might be something for me to check into! Or maybe a catering business. I wonder what that would cost for him to sit up. I will have to just keep thinking on this!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  1:41:36 PM  Show Profile
To be perfectly honest, I think I would have moved years ago in your position. Sounds like that city only wants chains who can afford the exorbitant fees and could care less about diversity or locals making a living.. sheesh.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  3:22:00 PM  Show Profile
Churches make excellent commisaries. You can usually get it for free if you are a member, or if you promise to feed the hungry once a month, or something like that.
here are trucks that go to construction sites with just premade sandwiches from costco, etc.
Generally mobile units can get around permits by opening on the lot of a private business, like a gas station.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  6:33:13 PM  Show Profile
Could he apply with the State/Federal government - perhaps cooking in a school/prison/state hospital. State/Federal are very careful regarding diversity hiring. Until he gets a job, perhaps he could volunteer to cook/work for Meals for the Elderly in their kitchen. That way he'd get experience, keep himself busy, do some good, and also meet many other volunteers (some of whom might be able to help him get a job that he wants.)
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  5:26:48 PM  Show Profile
Do you have farmer's markets in your area. There are many people who sell a lot of different types of food at the markets each weekend. He could try online selling. he could create a small catalog of cakes and cookies and ship them out. Sandra Bullock's sister had a bakery here in Montpelier for a few years and had a booming mail business of sweets. The UPS truck was at her bakery daily.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2011 :  10:47:24 PM  Show Profile
Not sure if I mis-read, but if your son has a hearing disability and needs a job coach,he may qualify for services through Vocational Rehabilitation, which may have to be accessed through a county or state office.
I have an adult son with several disabilities, and getting paid work is just not happening for him at this time, although he worked independently and with job coaches for years- but not with the current economy. He is able to volunteer, though and works with a program that helps him volunteer twice weekly; it keeps him going, he knows he's doing good for others, and keeps his skills from slipping.My daughter did somthing similar when she took a year off from college; no work to be had, but she did volunteer just to get out of the house!
Go to Top of Page

Ruby V
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Ruby
Chilliwack BC
Canada
220 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  10:40:39 PM  Show Profile
You mentioned he was building a computer. Could he possibly find work in the computer repair business while he's waiting for a job in the food industry? He could try advertising as some sort of 'computer tutor' or 'computer doctor' to do in-home repairs for people. Alot of seniors need basic help with computers, like learning how to send an email, etc. I hope he finds work soon!
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Son still don't have a job! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page