Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  06:59:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Does anyone have a decoration or something that just really means "Holiday" to you?

I remember always being facinated with the Bubble Lights at Christmas time so I am on a mission this year to find and buy some for our house! I know I have seen them online so If I have to- I am going to order them online!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  07:08:21 AM  Show Profile
I have a few surviving pale gold German Christmas ornaments, they are about 60 years old now and very fragile, but just looking at them makes me feel all Christmas-y

Happy Autumn!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  07:11:26 AM  Show Profile
We had mostly hand blown German ornaments onout tree as a child. I still decorate mine like that now and then.I do not have many blown ones anymore, but use the glass balls.

Jan

Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  08:38:48 AM  Show Profile
When I hear Bing Crosby Silver Bells, it's Christmas time in the city....

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  09:09:46 AM  Show Profile
Everytime I pull out my grandma's hand painted glass ornaments I am whisked back to my childhood Christmas'. I love her ornaments and cherish each and every one. For my kids, it is the "pickle" ornament that we hide in the tree and the first to find it gets a special gift...they know by now the pickle gift is a "Family" gift (DVD, popcorn, etc. for all to share)...but they love to be the first to say "I found it!".

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  09:20:55 AM  Show Profile
the Christmas spider is a favorite of my family, just love the story behind it...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  11:21:42 AM  Show Profile
I just love a Christmas tree. Without one it just doesn't feel like Christmas.
I do miss putting up a tree with my grandparents.

Farmgirl Sister #2974
~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  11:51:18 AM  Show Profile
Absolutely--for just about every holiday. My mom always put up those cardboard Halloween die-cuts all over the house and I found a bag full at a flea market this week for $4.95!!! I've been looking and looking for the old ones for a few years now, and there they were! That always said "Halloween" to me when Mom got those out the first of October. For Christmas, we always had an advent calendar with the little paper windows/doors to open with each day and as soon as Violet was old enough, I bought one. Can't wait for her to open a little door each day!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

windswept
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

dawn
youngsville new york
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  2:08:22 PM  Show Profile
I love decorating for Thanksgiving and Christmas. For Thanksgiving I use "natural" decorations..gourds, squash pumpkins. All sorts of nut shells. Different things that we have found through out the year. Easy to replace and I don't have to store them. Christmas is different...I have a small Dickens (dept 52) village that I painstakingly set up every year. Then the tree---all 15 to 18 feet of it. I have a 22 foot vaulted ceiling so I refuse to skimp on the tree. its decorated with "milestone" ornaments, the year someone learned to ride a bike, karate, camping etc. and every year we get a family picture ornament. Its fun to see how the girls and now grandchildren have grown up.

lovin the country
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  2:52:09 PM  Show Profile
I love Christmas and so much of it means Christmas to me. The Nativity scenes are priority. Without it, it's not Christmas. My family always had an artificial tree and we always put it up on Dec 6th (German thing). Years ago we had an exchange student from Japan and she gave us this music playing, Christmas tree card. It always has a prominent place on the tree. Silver Bells is also a huge favorite of mine and also Little Drummer Boy. I decorate cookies with my children. We make a gingerbread house. We also do the pickle ornament. So many things, I love traditions and I love watching the excitement in my children's face and seeing them love it too. Another thing we started for our kids is every Christmas Eve they get to open up a gift and it's brand new PJs which they wear that night and for Christmas morning. Christmas morning they get their stockings and then we have breakfast before they get to open gifts. Always before we open gifts we read the Christmas story from scripture so that we are reminded why we are celebrating. Did I mention that I do a lot?!?!? :)

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  4:24:45 PM  Show Profile
I had a daughter that died of brain cancer when she was 7, so every year I put up a tree for her and each year I added a new dated ornament and an angel one.She loved making ornaments with styrofoam balls and all kinds of trims. I still have the ones she made. After 20 years, I do not put up her tree anymore, we moved and only have 5 rooms and are very cramped. I used to put up 17 trees, 12 that were 6 1/2 feet. Each one had a theme, one for santas, one snowmen, country, victorian, angels, etc. It would take me until Easter to put it all away each year!!!

Jan

Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  7:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love reading all the descriptions of your holidays! It sounds like so much fun!

Jan! I can't imagine 17 trees! That is amazing! That must have taken a lot of dedication!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  8:15:12 PM  Show Profile
For me it is something very, very silly....a santa face toilet seat cover!!! On the outside or top is santa smiling, on the inside or bottom is santa with his hands covering his eyes. My grandma made it and it was on her toilet every year when we went there. Then a few years ago she gave it to me. I love it!

I'm a very eclectic decorator in my house and my holidays, so the silly toilet seat cover is perfect for me!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  9:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is too funny Angela!! I love the idea but I dont think Santa would like being in a guys bathroom and there is only one in my house. I might have to make something like that for the bathroom door. :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Beth Jones
True Blue Farmgirl

3196 Posts

beth
tallassee alabama
3196 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  3:23:16 PM  Show Profile
My aunt and grandmother always lived with us and growing up my aunt decorated. She had sweet little angel planters with plastic holy that she would always put out and a set of choir children singing among the greens on the mantle. Then my dad would bring in a cedar tree, didn;t have the hearty fir trees in the south. the cedar tree would smell so good, but the ornaments would all slip down on the tree skirt by Christmas day..They wouldn't stay on!! She also had some lovely blown ornaments that I still have. I put them in a large clear covered clear glass container and leave them out all year. They are still so beautiful!!! They are 50 years old!! Smiles, Beth

You can never be to kind!
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  5:49:10 PM  Show Profile
I get lots of compliments on my Christmas Tree every year. Most all of my ornaments were made by my children. I love all of them! Each ornament on my christmas tree reminds me of someone in my family!!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  7:54:24 PM  Show Profile
I love pulling out the Christmas stocking that my grandmother made me the year I was born. The felt is softer and not quite as plump as it was, but the sequins still sparkle! I miss her, and every time I hang the stocking, I think of her. I've carried on the tradition of making stockings, although I like to cross-stitch mine. Most of my most cherished decorations are still at my parents' house. I haven't quite found my own traditions yet.

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning."
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  12:12:08 PM  Show Profile
It occured to me after I posted about Halloween die-cuts and the avent calendar that I neglected to mention that one of my favorite "traditions" that my mother started with me, I continued with Violet on Sunday. Pressing Autumn leaves! I still remember living in West Virginia as a small girl, the wild wind blowing and us making the trek to the state park near Chester to collect brightly colored leaves to press between wax paper. Mom called it "welcoming Autumn" into our home, because after we were done, we hung the sheets up in the frames of our windows so that the sun could shine through and make the colors more vibrant.
Violet and I went to our local nature park, basket in hand, and found some lovely leaves, along with a ton of "a corn" (acorns--I think she thinks of the "a" in acorn as a identifier as opposed to part of the actual word :)) and then we came home to press them. She was so sweet, up on my grandmother's red metal cosco stool, watching me iron, sipping her apple cider. We made 3 for our home, and one for each grandmother (3).
Can't wait to do it again next year!

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  2:15:22 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, what a great and sweet memory and tradition, I think if its ok with you, I would like to borrow that idea and try it here in my living room window...also I too have one of those red cosco step ladder/stool/chairs, that was my Moms, and it is used regulary in my home...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"

Edited by - oldbittyhen on Oct 12 2011 2:17:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  4:46:07 PM  Show Profile
Jonni:
I love that tradition of Pressing Autumn leaves. What a wonderful visual memory for you and for your daughter.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  6:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love that idea too Jonni!! So you put the dried leaf between two pieces of wax paper and iron them? Do you have to tape or anything?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  7:00:22 PM  Show Profile
I think it's the music for Christmas, Bing Crosby, Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis..the music my mom played for us. FOr my kids I think it's my village I put out every year. This year it's some new houses, the others got lost in our move
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13635 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13635 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  7:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
A handmade ceramic star ornament that two boys in my children's choir made for me as a gift after our Christmas children's musical. It has a drawing of the 3 wise men on it and says "Wise Men Still Seek Him". What makes it so very special is that it survived, with the ribbon hanging loop intact, a horrible house fire where we lost our house, everything in it and trees, bushes, etc. around our house.
The musical was in the 1980's sometime, our fire was in July 1994. These boys are grown and married.
It just has such significant meaning to me.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

from my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  06:29:13 AM  Show Profile
Please do borrow that memory and make a new tradition of your own, girls! You'll love the end result. I also cut some in "strips" and use them as bookmarks :)

Yes, Alee, you gather your leaves--I try to get some that aren't completely dry, but still have the flexibility in them. Put them in a design (I do spirals, or I lay one of each type I've found, and mix colors--yellow/red/brown/plums, etc...that way, you get a nice representation of all the leaves. When pressing the leaves between the sheets of waxed paper, after setting my design, I put a large book on top for a few minutes, then iron with a hot iron to "seal" the wax. You can use a hand towel under your iron (over the pressing) but I never do. When warm, the leaves release the neatest scent!

Enjoy!!!

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  06:44:20 AM  Show Profile
@Tina--I love that you have a red cosco step stool, too! I still remember being a little girl, sitting in Grandma Helen's kitchen on Park Street. She had that old linoleum that looked like red brick (?) and she had roosters and hens on the walls and this red stool sat right by the counter and whenever she cooked or baked anything on the big ole stove, she made me sit up there to keep me safe, but so I could still watch.

When she passed, I took that stool and her old Chromex aluminum cannisters (she had them all, tea to cookie) because they were my favorite memories--ever! I use both the stool and the cannisters each and every day. Violet will say, "mahmee, I sit down?" and pats the metal seat.

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  07:12:39 AM  Show Profile
I really feel for you. My childhood home burnt to the ground about eight years ago. I cherish everything that was salvaged. My favorite Christmas things were ornaments I made with my sister when I was 9. We were dirt poor, and all the gifts were second hand. We pinned sequins on styrofoam balls, and used pipe cleaners for the hook.
quote:
Originally posted by ceejay48

A handmade ceramic star ornament that two boys in my children's choir made for me as a gift after our Christmas children's musical. It has a drawing of the 3 wise men on it and says "Wise Men Still Seek Him". What makes it so very special is that it survived, with the ribbon hanging loop intact, a horrible house fire where we lost our house, everything in it and trees, bushes, etc. around our house.
The musical was in the 1980's sometime, our fire was in July 1994. These boys are grown and married.
It just has such significant meaning to me.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

from my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Nostalgic Holidays Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly