smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  5:37:59 PM  Show Profile
Ok due to the weather all around us hay is a valuable commodity here. Folks who sell hay are this year saying no we need all we have. So we sell out down to 2 horses no cattle and have enough hay to winter them. Daughters heart goes out to a miniature at the auction who was so starved he was eating rocks. She bought him and brought him home. Told her dad its only 2 and 1/2 horses now and he wont eat much! He is a cutie. She named him shaggy due to his condition.

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  8:34:45 PM  Show Profile
I helped rescue an arab gelding several years ago that was abandoned and so starved, he too was eating rocks, ended up with a bad blockage and emergency surgery, and the constant worry of colic for the rest of his life, but he made a 5 yr old girls dream come true for her first horse, and would follow her around like a love struck pup for all of his days, which was another 15 yrs...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  05:06:33 AM  Show Profile
Oh wow! Did you notice the blockage right away or is it something that takes awhile to discover? Shaggy is going on 2 weeks being here. Your arab had a good life in the end though didnt he? We think Shaggy was abused by a male by the way he acts around men vs women. Big guy to abuse something 42"high. Was the 5 yr old girl your daughter? Sounds like the makings of a best selling book! Thank you for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  08:07:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lea, Hope Shaggy does well. You did a good thing to rescue him. Poor little guy. I'm sure there are a lot of horses out there right now with bleak futures due to the drought. Post photos when you can.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  09:34:34 AM  Show Profile
Lea, no he became my neighbors , daughters 1st, Prince in shinning grey fur...the blockage started out as colicing on a fairly regular basis, after about 6 of them, vet did an xray and discovered what he thought was tumors at first in the stomach/intestinal track, my neighbor opted for a "let's do an exploratory surgery" and see if he is saveable, and thank the stars they did, after removeing a dozen or so rocks, and several weeks on soaked hay replacer pellets, he healed and started putting on good weight, coat came back and he was Nellies prince in shinning armor, he was a great teacher/babysitter for her, and with the connection they had, I really think he would have given his life for her, if needed. The vet gave his age at that time to be about 12, so when he passed he was about 27 yrs old. I don't think anyone that knew him, would ever forget him, he was a gentleman and handsome as the day was long and never took a wrong step with that little girl, he would lay down to sun himself, and you would find Nellie curled up between his legs, with her head on his side, and they both would be sound asleep, he was her rock when her mom died a couple of years later and I truely think he was an angel sent to her...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  10:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It's amazing the bond that some horses have for their owners. What a sweet gentleman he sounds like.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  10:44:13 AM  Show Profile
Arabs are considered the golden retrievers of the horse world, very smart, very high energy, and extremely loyal. Thousands of years ago the nomads would bring the arabian into the tents and the children would sleep next to the war horse!

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  12:12:36 PM  Show Profile
Jen, yes, they were truely a family member, and even stallions can be handled by most children. I don't know if its still this way, but I remember when at an sanctioned Arabian only horse show, anyone of any age was able to handle and show Arab stallions...

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  3:31:12 PM  Show Profile
Stallions behave themselves just fine until some yahoo insists on bringing a mare in heat to the event... *sigh*
I saw it a lot in Civil War reenacting, my cavalry group owned their own horses and trained them to withstand all the cannon fire, crowds, parades and gun fire. Two of the horses were studs and they were never a problem.
Then some dude from one of the bigger clubs brought a borrowed mare in heat to an event and all of a sudden the club politics shifted to not want to permit stallions at events, and there was never even any kind of incident. Ugh. The egos and politicking really sucked so much of the fun out of it... the guys only wanting to play how they want to play with their friends... the women socially ostracizing anyone who wasn't perfectly period correct. But I digress.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Another horse Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page