Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Injured Chicken/ What to do now?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Injured Chicken/ What to do now? Next Topic  

whimsicalfolk
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

kim
salem oh
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  12:33:56 PM  Show Profile
My mom has chickens,,my moms dog killed one and then tried to kill another one but we got her away from the dog. When we have tried to intergrate the chicken back with the other chickens they go after her and try to kill her. she has her in a cage now near the other chickens...we dont know what to do with her..everytime we try to intergrate her back the chickens go after her again..she has healed from her injuries but shes smaller than the other chickens and has permanent foot damage from the attack so she limps alot.

what do we do?? will she ever be able to go back with the other chickens or is it a lost cause? Thanks for any advice

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  2:08:30 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry to hear about the dog's getting your mom's chickens. We've had that happen here a few times as well. I'm not sure about integrating the one back in. Chickens can be pretty picky about who they accept and who they don't. We have one now who has been broody for so long I don't think they even recognize her as part of the flock. They fight with her (and draw blood!) everytime she comes out into the yard. :( We haven't been able to figure out what to do about it yet, just keeping them separated helps...but how long can you do that? Hopefully someone will have a better answer for you. :) Good luck!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  2:47:51 PM  Show Profile
Move her out of sight from the rest for a few days, then move her back in the coop in the dead of night...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  7:39:28 PM  Show Profile
We have had this happen before also. We let the injured chicken heal completely before being re-integrated with the others. Currently we have one on the mend...she gets to free range most of the day by herself, then we let the others out for a few hours before dark. They do have some contact with the others, but not in the coop. The injured one has her own private night residence.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, Herbalist, Master Energy Intuitive

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

whimsicalfolk
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

kim
salem oh
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  1:38:29 PM  Show Profile
thanks for the advice,,ill let my mom know and then see what happens.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  3:14:55 PM  Show Profile
because of her injury they now see her as weak & will go after her until she either completely heals or they will get used to her but you will have to keep her separate from the others, make it so they can see her & that she is in an area where she can walk so they see the limp & get used to seeing this with her....I have 2 in a small group that limp from injures that never healed...one is a dominate hen so no one messes with her & she has protected the other until the others got used to her & knew if they messed with her they would get pecked by the protector...if you have a hen who is a protector type put her in with the injured one but only if she is not one of the ones who goes after her....they will bond & when the time comes to release them the protector should watch out for her. his has worked often for me since I tend to take quite a few injured & have learned the hard way to help them from the others...good luck dear hen & keep us up to date if you can....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  3:17:44 PM  Show Profile
I stretch chicken wire across one corner of the coop and keep the chicken in that area separate but where they can see each other. She has her own food and water. I leave them there at least a month before trying to re-introduce to the flock. Good luck.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Injured Chicken/ What to do now? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page