Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Life on auto-pilot Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  12:56:49 PM  Show Profile
I just found myself wondering why life is being so monotonous and my mind said back to me that it's because I only live from one event to the next chore to the next chore; I'm living my life on auto pilot!
Today, I'm making up my mind that what ever the problem is of the moment, it is not the whole spectrum of life. seasons change, birds chirp, rain falls, sunsets happen...and I'm missing them!

I want to try to live more mindfully and be aware of the extraordinary within the ordinary. Those snap shot moments when the love of my life and I are sharing the kitchen and cooking, the silly poses the cats are sleeping in, the exact texture of light, and the taste of the wind...You get the picture. Does any one else find them selves living on automatic?

Life is full to the brim every day with wondrous moments, don't let them go to waste

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  1:22:35 PM  Show Profile
I feel that way sometimes. Like my life is not my own and I am just doing enough to keep the plants alive, feed the family and enough housework to not have my house condemned!
Then I have to take a step back and realize how blessed I am.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  1:35:41 PM  Show Profile
Yes, life is too short to pass us by. We need to stop and appreciate what is right in front of us at any given time. I was having a hard time last night needing to make dinner (green chile), just wasn't up for the chore of chopping meat, green chilis, onions...I was doing it but not happy about it when I remember a blog post I read recently about "finding joy in the mundane". A post similar to this topic. That was the trick, I thought this is as mundane as it gets so I need to find the joy in the moment. When you consciously look you can find all kinds of emotions that are waiting to be discovered. Our dinner turned out delicious and I had a good time preparing it!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  2:11:00 PM  Show Profile
I think this is something everyone falls into from time to time. It seems like it happens when either you've got too much to do - or something has changed and you "think" you don't have enough to do. When you're too busy - you set yourself on automatic pilot just to get through the day. When something changes and you're not as busy as your "normal" routine, you have a hard time accepting that and just go through the motions.

Our society and/or media continually bombards us with messages that imply if you're not busy, busy, busy - that you're missing out on something that's really important. However, I believe that when you're too busy - you're really missing out on what's out there. And the people who realize that - and take pleasure in the mundane - are some of the happiest people I know.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  2:27:35 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Lorraine. I'm reading The Resolution for Women right now. It's helping me to slow down, (maybe too much). I find times where all I'm doing is getting things ready for some time in the future and never living in the present. This past week I haven't done that. It's been a lot more relaxing.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  04:55:02 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you Annika, its so easy to fall into those autopilot patterns, and so nasty when we do! You have inspired me to take this day and see the magic in the ordinary. :) Thanks!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  07:36:33 AM  Show Profile
There are many of us who have been awakened to this fact and have been mindful that we need to stay in the present. I am struggling with this but focused to work on this and master it to my best ability. I am also trying to not live in the future problems because they might not even happen - it is a pattern of mine that would keep me always in panic mode and that kept me from enjoying those things in front of me. Great to know I am not alone in this journey.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  08:27:37 AM  Show Profile
Grace, you are never alone *hugs* This morning we have had a couple of nice rain showers and the air is cool and sweet. I wish that I owned a horse, it seems like such a wonderful morning for a ride

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  11:42:41 AM  Show Profile
Took the words right outta my mouth. There is a balance to alll of life. It ebbs and flows. Personally, I think modern life is too overdone, but, that's just me.

quote:
Originally posted by Tea Lady

I think this is something everyone falls into from time to time. It seems like it happens when either you've got too much to do - or something has changed and you "think" you don't have enough to do. When you're too busy - you set yourself on automatic pilot just to get through the day. When something changes and you're not as busy as your "normal" routine, you have a hard time accepting that and just go through the motions.

Our society and/or media continually bombards us with messages that imply if you're not busy, busy, busy - that you're missing out on something that's really important. However, I believe that when you're too busy - you're really missing out on what's out there. And the people who realize that - and take pleasure in the mundane - are some of the happiest people I know.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com . Now with pictures!!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  7:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I find myself feeling like this at times too. Live gets overwhelming and I think it is a protective mechanism that our brains use when we are just shy of being completely overwhelmed. It's good to take a deep breath and realize that if you stop for two minutes to enjoy the sunrise- life won't self destruct.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2011 :  05:50:22 AM  Show Profile
Alee,

You explained it beautifully. Sometimes, hitting autopilot saves my sanity. And, we always get back to our usual way of doing things sooner or later, so we should not be too tough on ourselves!
marianne
Go to Top of Page

rubyleesmom
Zapped Profile

190 Posts

190 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  09:24:29 AM  Show Profile
Wow.. I am so glad that I am not the only one that feels this way. I have this nasty habit of trying to take on the entire world all at once.. especially at work.. I am cross trained in several different departments and it seems like someone always needs me to cover this, help with that.. my standard response is always "sure, no problem" because I dont want them to think I am incapable. But it IS a problem cuz it begins to swallow me and I fall behind on my own stuff! And then its off to home to do the mountain of chores there. It seems like the days go by so quickly and I dont even get to enjoy them anymore. Im finding that I am missing the small things like the sweetness of my little girls laugh, the beauty in the new autumn weather. And it really sucks :( I totally agree with the autopilot thing. If I didnt have an autopilot setting, I feel like I would never survive each day!
I did hear a song today though that made me sit back and think for a second.. i think it is called "This is the stuff" by Franceska Batistelli. Thanks ladies for listening to my sob story.. I know that I am truly blessed, I just need to learn to remember that now and then! :)
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  5:29:31 PM  Show Profile
Annika what a good thread. The fact that we have all related to it at one time or another speaks volumes doesnt it?Maybe the old addage of an idle mind is the devils workshop should be a hectic life is the devils workshop!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Life on auto-pilot Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page