violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  10:25:18 AM  Show Profile
my chickens are pecking on two of my hens, any suggestions?
I have removed them from the flock which consists of only 12 hens, no roosters.
Thanks so much!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  10:34:55 AM  Show Profile
if they are being attacked by all of your other hens, chances are this will continue till they kill them, and once seperated, its very hard to re-introduce them back, and even if you did, they will probally get attacked again...most of the time you will either have to permently keep them apart, or re-home them...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  10:45:36 AM  Show Profile
We had 2 hens that were doing this to the rest of the flock. NOt sure why they started doing this, but my girlfriend took them and as they were the only 2 chickens she had they didn't do this anymore.

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  12:19:07 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes the commercial anti-pecking products work but I put big globs of petroleum jelly on the pecked areas to help heal the area and discourage the ones who are pecking,this has worked for me as the pecking chickens get big globs of jelly on thier face when they peck and they really hate that,it kind of disrupts the thought process but you do ahve to reapply it often.
Some people suggest adding vinegar to thier water helps but I have not had significant enough problems with pecking that I have tried this yet.
how are your chickens kept,are they in a coop,allowed to roam,etc..
Chickens will peck to sort out pecking order issues or they will peck when overcrowded,stressed,bored or lacking protein in the diet.
If you have a bare dirt floor coop I would try spreading out lots of straw and sprinkling it with corn and other goodies that they have to scratch and peck around in,this might distract them enough to resolve the behavior.
My chickens free range during the day and so I have found that loose chickens rarely have problems with this but that may not be practical for everyone's flock due to dogs,neighbors,etc..but giving them something to scratch around in frequently will help.
Anyways,I hope this helps,I hope it works out so you can keep your hens.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  12:26:34 PM  Show Profile
While my hen wasn't pecking, she was being overly aggressive and eating the eggs of another hen (I think) right before hatch time. She did this twice. She would also bully the other hens. One night, she wouldn't go back in the coop with the others-so I left her out overnight.

Something got her. Sad to say it, but that was the ONLY solution.

But, I tried everything I knew to discourage the pecking-she was just a meanie. I wish I could give you gentler advice.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  12:35:27 PM  Show Profile
That's another way to do it;) Sometimes culling out is the easiest solution,there's the old saying ~keep the best and eat the rest!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  11:02:12 AM  Show Profile
from the sounds of it you have two that are trying to be top 'rooster' since there is not one there to keep the girls in line...it sounds like also the others aren't allowing them to be top roo so to speak so they are pecking them to get them to bow to them.....Also with this behavior the protein & carbs they are getting is being burned up to fast so try if possible to increase both specially protein right now for all of them to help this....also being uncomfortable could add to it so check for mites on the 2 if they have them then they all have them....
apple cidar vinegar in the water helps get rid of internal worms & makes system run better...you only need a capful per gallon or so....
Kathryn great suggestions but don't give corn much since you (Ruth) lives in Georgia...too hot right now & this will heat them up even more but raw oatmeal, cheerios, unsugared cereals will work as a fun scratch/treat for them.
For chickens that turn to eating eggs that is a big sign that they are not getting the protein they need...I had a few do that during the winter & I increased the protein & they stopped eating the eggs....I buy cheap cans of tuna in water for this reason so when they get off so to speak they get a few cans of tuna one afternoon a week.
lack of protein will also cause them to kill & eat other chickens who are weaker than them or smaller.
I have always been able to re-introduce separated chickens without deaths but it can take time & they will go thur the whole pecking order again, sometimes the top hens never get back up to that level in the flock again which can be a good thing. good luck honey...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  07:21:44 AM  Show Profile
Michele, That is great information about the protein. I need to file that one away in the rusty old memory banks!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  10:58:48 AM  Show Profile
we made little chicken "saddles" like for when you have an overly agressive rooster and the feathers grew back in and by then the other hens had lost interest in pecking--couldn't see the red skin maybe--and weren't pecked anymore :)

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  3:11:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone - I have been giving them corn, they love it. Won't any more :(! I have tuna in the pantry, going out right now to give them some of that.
Sheila, how did you make the "apron" - I was seriously going to try to make Rosie a "dress" tonight, but have not gotten around to it yet.
Again, thanks so much everyone!
Worse part is we are going on a trip and our neighbors will be tending to our "girls" and I want All problems solved by the time we leave - ugg!!!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  3:41:28 PM  Show Profile
Well, I just came in from feeding them tune - boy did they devour that :)! Must have been good to them, or they really needed the protein or both. Should I give them the tuna more that once a week, in case they have a deficiency? Or is there other protein I can give them. What about other "snacks" I can scatter in their run, sunflower seeds, regular "junk" bird seed??? - we did get a lot of fescue hay to put out there and they are loving it. Also have dusted Rosie for mites - didn't see any on her, but we will try to dust the rest of the girls tonight. Also cleaned out then hen house really good, dusted the floor before putting down clean Aspen shavings, also cleaned out all nest boxes and treated them too.
I do put vinegar, with the Mother in their water, however I missed a few times :(! Not any more!
Rosie was picking on herself, not sure if she started it and when I got raw, the other joined in or what. One hen is picking small feathers from the hens (at random) and eating them ???? She is a Copper Black Maran - we have two of them. Still want to make an apron for Rosie, not sure how to do that - but my mind is trying to figure it out - LOL!
Thanks again for all your wonderful suggestions. I love my girls and this makes me very sad :(
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  3:55:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ruth :) This is not the exact one I made, but one similar in shape. http://backtobasicliving.com/blog/make-a-chicken-saddle/

It was really easy to whip up a few and they stayed on really well. Actually I used snaps on mine to put them over the wings more easily. I used a nice heavy fabric and they lasted a LONG time :) GIve it a try!

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  5:43:35 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sheila - will give it a try :)

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  6:49:35 PM  Show Profile
A great dust bath is your wood ash from your stove/fireplace, pour it in a area where they are doing their dust bathes and watch out, they love it, and it will kill mites and lice...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  7:40:47 PM  Show Profile
once a week is good on the tuna if they are getting regular chicken feed..if you have one eating the feathers you need to also add calcium like oyster chips so they can get to them....feather eating is definitely a calcium problem....with you in Georgia they have to really work for every mineral, vit ect they get as your weather/humidity is so hard on them....I used to live in Fort Benning Ga & I remember the killer humidity....the hay you talked about is also good so keep doing that for them....another thing you can do is go buy the cheapest dry cat food on the market & give them a handful or so a day....it will contain meat & fish bi-products, oils ect that will help them.....but don't give too much...just enough so each get a few pieces....specially when its super hot then quit when it gets cooler ie winter time there...but keep it on hand so if they show signs of needed more protein you can give them a bit again until you feel they are back to normal...well you know normal chicken behavior...lol....Michele'
also the wood ash is an excellent idea but never every put in BBQ ash...some don't realize thats deadly for them unless its 100% per wood & not charcoal treated pieces.

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  06:05:11 AM  Show Profile
We have the same trouble. We just built two coops for night and have one rooster for each flock of hens. They stay on their own sides of the property and watch their own set of ladies. The roosters fight sometimes.

We decided that in the future we will let them sit on eggs vs. buying new chicks in the spring. That way they would accept the newbies better.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  5:07:45 PM  Show Profile
Update on Chickie Girls! Made a dress for Rosie, she seems to enjoy wearing her new "Frock" :)! Gave them all some tuna in water, loved that, also been giving them some dry cat food, along with their mash and pellets. Things seem to have settled down, I don't see any pecking now -
Thanks from me and the "girls" for helping out in our stressful time, I sure did learn alot in a very short time!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  11:16:46 PM  Show Profile
You go Ruth!!!! so happy to hear that all is well with your 'girls' Michele'

Chickens rule!