Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 I need sewing and craft project suggestions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I need sewing and craft project suggestions Next Topic  

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  3:08:38 PM  Show Profile
I teach a sewing class at the high school level. I only have 6 students and they are eager to sew. I will have them all school year, so we have alot of sewing time. I was wondering if any one had any fun crafts or sewing projects to suggest. We made pillows today. I thought it would take a couple of days at least, but the whipped them out in a 45 minute class.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428 http://www.my-fairhaven.blogspot.com/

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  3:28:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cathy, Its your long lost no good pen-pal. Hope you and your family are doing good! Mine not so great right now. Anyways how about aprons, or garden tool aprons. Are you only doing sewing machine projects? I have taught my youngest sons girlfriend to do needlepoint, She just graduated high school . She is cross stitching a pillow case right now. And loves it. She did not care for the crocheting. You can buy cheap white pillow cases or make them and do your own transfers on them. I have some transfers I can mail you if you want me too. You can also do dish towels. Hum you would also need hoops. I have loads of color treads I can mail you along with the transfers. I have been collecting threads for many years. I could see if they have any hoops here at the wal-Mart and buy a few to donate. I love donating to the schools. I would have to go through my transfers and see what I have it has been a long time since I looked at them. Anyways just a few ideas for you. Opps I meant she is cross-stitching a pot holder right now I am the one working on the pillowcase!!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda

Edited by - Dorinda on Sep 22 2011 3:30:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  3:31:49 PM  Show Profile
a vest? an apron for a gift? a bathrobe?

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  3:35:48 PM  Show Profile
Cathy How about a Quillow, a blanket that folds into a pillow. You can make them from regular fabric and use batting in them or from fleece. Covers for Kindles or I-Pads might be fun too.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  10:35:42 AM  Show Profile
My daughters sewing class (many years ago) did sleep pants and my son's Jr high class did drawstring bags. Hats out of fleece is usually fun and maybe a little more challenging. Back in the day, when we wore A-line skirts, we made those first semester of sewing class.

God bless,

Judy

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  10:43:52 AM  Show Profile
How about a quilt that could be donated for a local shelter or maybe auction as a fundraiser for the school?

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

TansyShy
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Joanna
Wasilla AK
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  12:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Send TansyShy an AOL message  Click to see TansyShy's MSN Messenger address  Send TansyShy a Yahoo! Message
American Girl also has lots of craft books with cute ideas and their magazines are filled with ideas. The crafts never get old to make. :)

Farm girl Sister #907

http://joannasmusings.blogspot.com/

Crayola skies for a thousand miles.
~Charmed Life~
Uptown Girls Soundtrack
Go to Top of Page

JamieRose
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jamie
Crystal Lake IL
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  1:29:46 PM  Show Profile
I've taught several classes and students like to make book bags. They're simple, the students can pick fun fabric, add pockets, button closures, long/short straps, Make them big or small. I buy interfacing with the 1" grid printed on it. Then you can cut out the size rectangle you want for the body of the purse, and the straps. Easy as pie!

www.lovegivenaway.blogspot.com

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  1:54:08 PM  Show Profile
What about also a table runner? Especially since Christmas is coming up it could be given as a gift for a loved one. I remember making a book bag, and a apron in class years back.

Farmgirl Sister #2619

http://www.etsy.com/shop/vmfein
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  2:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I also think aprons are a good project. How about adding the dishtowel that buttons onto the apron. I think it would be so much fun to teach sewing to teens. Another thing they like is making skirts out of jeans. The short ones are popular and are nice when a ruffle is added to the bottom. They can be painted with fabric paints for embellishments and/or appliques.
I have also seen simple dolls made. The flat pancake pattern works fine with a couple darts for shaping. Even older girls sometimes like dolls....we adults do!
Also there is a pattern for pillows made shaped like letters. I found out my homemade patterns didn't work well. Too skinny or small...so store boughtpattern was better. I wish I could be in your class!

Linda in Scranton, PA
Farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  2:42:09 PM  Show Profile
If I could sew, here is what I would want to learn for starters:

~Aprons
~Pillow cases/pillows
~Napkins
~Tote Bags

I think the sleep pants would be a great project for teens too :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  4:49:32 PM  Show Profile
How advance are they in sewing class?

When I was in high school (where I study fashion). They also teach us how to make baby clothing. From cutting the pattern, sewing it and putting on button and buttonhole.

How about coasters, placemat, napkin, a reusable tote, trivet, rug, pillow, aprons, cosmetic bag with zipper...
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  09:13:41 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Cosmetic bag with zipper sounds good to me. Sewing on a zipper is a good skill to learn!

Linda in Scranton, PA
Farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  7:43:38 PM  Show Profile
Thank all of you for the ideas. I am sure I will use some of them.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428 http://www.my-fairhaven.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

gracylfreebush
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Gracy
Alvin TX
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  8:09:50 PM  Show Profile
Tote bags are good and having worked with girl scouts for years pajama pants, short or long are always popular. Also, working with Girl Scouts for years I found it was always a good idea to let them have some input. Ask them what they would like to make and then see if you can make it work. Cell phone/ipod pouches are easy and might be something they are interested in they can be closed with velcro and a hook added to use as a clip.

Thoughts are things choose the good ones.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I need sewing and craft project suggestions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page