Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Learning to Crochet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Learning to Crochet Next Topic  

Vickster411
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Vicky
Grand Rapids MN
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  11:22:48 AM  Show Profile
At what age do you think it's appropriate to teach a child to crochet? (My granddaughter is turning 4 soon.) I was thinking of starting her off with a large needle and yarn. What age did you learn?

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  11:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I was about that same age..well at least that is what Momma told me...lol...I don't think they are too young to start...my sister's two girls were taught by my Momma at that age too.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  11:55:41 AM  Show Profile
I am left handed, so nobody in my family would even attempt to teach me how to knit or crochet. I took a class when I was 26 and could not get the hang of it looking at things backwards.I had boughten lots of yarn and every size crochet hook I could find. I told myself I am going to sit here all day before the 6th class and learn this before I leave. I finally got the hang of it and have never stopped. I think 4 would be a great age to learn. Give it a try and you will know if she is ready or not. Good luck,

Jan

Farmgirl Sister #3340
Go to Top of Page

Vickster411
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Vicky
Grand Rapids MN
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  12:22:52 PM  Show Profile
Looks like I better rush right out and buy a large crochet HOOK, not needle like I posted earlier. My granddaughter will be here October 1st and I was trying to think of ways to keep her quietly occupied as she has a tendency to talk back to her mother. I think I can remember how to make some simple stitches. Anybody have a good website for everything crocheted?
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  12:30:40 PM  Show Profile
I tried to teach my 8 year old granddaughter but she could not sit still long enough. Now my almost 10 year old GD loves to do the chain stitch and has for over a year now but will not go further. I tried to show her the other day how to do a single crochet but she couldn't get it. Maybe next time. But she wants to see how long she can make a chain.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  2:12:44 PM  Show Profile
I think I was about 7 and taught by my grandmother when she come over from Germany - she had a way of teaching. I taught my sons when they were about the same age. I have taught folks as young as 4 to spin on a drop spindle but those are one's who first have a great desire and then the eye hand ability. Some of us are just born to do things with our hands and others with their voice, their feet or the mind.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  12:06:29 PM  Show Profile
My Mom started teaching me how to crochet and sew when I was about six,she started me with bulky yarn and a big hook making potholders,I guess I made dozens of them at the time but I never got wildly into crochet until about twenty years later,now I do thread crochet and make doilies but those first lessons always stayed with me so I would sure teach a child at any age they can hold a crochet hook and give the attention required to it.
My own Daughter started crocheting at about nine years old and took to it real well,she's now eleven and crocheting potholders and dishcloths and has made a neck scarf.
You never know until you get them started,it's great bonding time in any case!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  12:22:24 PM  Show Profile
My mom tried to teach me when I was 8 or so-but I'm also a southpaw-so it was just too difficult. I'm thinking of trying embroidery instead.

I also learned how to do a basic knit stitch-but beyond making a small scarf for my mini-pin to tear to shreds in a few minutes, it was a waste of time. LOL.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  12:29:51 PM  Show Profile
Don't give up on crochet Megan for being left handed,there are instructions available online that are written especially for left handed crocheters.
I was born left handed but my Dad was of the old fashioned belief that left handedness was a sign of idiocy so he would give me a nasty rap over my knuckles,sometimes until they bled and so I eventually got trained to use my right hand for everything so now I am ambidextrous so when I crochet,instead of turning my work I just switch hands on my hook and go back the other way.
So anyways,the point of all that is to tell you that you can definitely learn to crochet left handed,right handed or whatever you choose,I learned how to write and do everything right handed so don't be discouraged,it just takes a little time to get your head wired around it.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

DeborahLee
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Deborah
Starkville Mississippi
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  12:44:53 PM  Show Profile
Since I've just learned to crochet, I would have to say I learned at age 49! I've only been at it about a month but I keep working on different stitches and have a stack of projects that I want to try. Personally, it helped that I really wanted to learn how to crochet the cotton disch clothes---so maybe it would help to find a cool, easy project that she could aim for. Most of the yarn companies have free patterns that you can download for beginners. Friendship bracelets are very popular as are headbands. A friend gave me a bag of yarn to practice with but I don't really like the way the acrylic yarns feel---I much prefer the cotton yarns.

Deborah

Professor, librarian, writer and farmgirl!
Go to Top of Page

heritagehunter
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Julie
La Salle Co
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  08:56:18 AM  Show Profile
How about knitting looms? Provo craft makes them in a variety of sizes and you can get them at craft stores or online. Its easy, and most projects are quick.
Go to Top of Page

gracylfreebush
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Gracy
Alvin TX
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  7:43:26 PM  Show Profile
I learned to sew at 6 but didn't learn to crochet until I was a bit older. I am right handed and my left handed grandmother taught me how. Mine is upside down and you have to turn it to get the right side. You might want to try this link for free patterns.

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory.php

Thoughts are things choose the good ones.
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  7:51:14 PM  Show Profile
I have tried several times to teach DD5 but it hasn't clicked in her head how it works. She also doesn't have enough fine motor skills yet. She really enjoys a piece of fabric in a hoop and sewing with a big needle. The first time the fabric was blank. The next time I drew a big circle and she had to keep the sewing inside the circle. Over time I have drawn smaller and smaller circles to teach her more control of her needle. And she's very "helpful" at cutting my yarn into tiny pieces.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  2:05:20 PM  Show Profile
I wish some one would have taught me to crochet when I was 4!! You go grandma!
Melody
Farm Girl #833
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Learning to Crochet Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page