Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 Witch Hazel Remedy for Mosquito Bites
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Witch Hazel Remedy for Mosquito Bites Next Topic  

tnolan
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Teri
Howell Mi
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  09:26:18 AM  Show Profile
[i]A quick remedy that I have used on my family this past summer, is Witch Hazel (solution sold over the counter) on the Mosquito and other bug bites. I read about antiseptic properties this plant has, as well as anti-inflammatory, so thought it might work well.

I found that it works amazingly well to relieve the stinging and itching-even on those large swollen areas-when applied over the entire region with a cotton ball!

I have noticed a drastic reduction in healing time for the bites on the babes; and much to my joy, the middle of the night itching and crying is GONE with this remedy!

Now, I STOCK UP on the Witch Hazel, and carry a small sample of it with us when we go out! I highly recommend this for all the Mommy's out there! Best Wishes! LaDolceVitaGirl.blogspot.com
[/i]

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  10:39:10 AM  Show Profile
Great tip! We have an awful time with mosquitoes in the summer, especially with all the rain we have been having the past year. I'll remember it next time we all get eaten up.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  1:14:37 PM  Show Profile
I know this is awful but all I can find for chigger bites is dab areas with household ammonia. Works on stings too. Clear fingernail polish doesn't work for me.

Farmgirl Sister #2667
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  05:05:47 AM  Show Profile
NOTHING has worked on the chigger bites for me. I'll try ammonia next. But the Witch Hazel on mosquito bites is awesome! I'll definitely try that!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mosquitocontrol
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Regina
Fayetteville OH
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  1:58:47 PM  Show Profile
I know this is kinda late getting to you girls but I just recently joined the forum. Have you tried lemon balm, squeeze the leaf for the oil then rub on yourself. Also wear light clothing it will help.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  3:19:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to get me some Witch Hazel for the summer. Here in Louisiana, we have lots of mosquitoes. In fact, they are still around from the summer, just not so many.
Thanks for the information.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  08:24:30 AM  Show Profile
Good to know - thanks for sharing!

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  7:47:30 PM  Show Profile
Today, I sat outside for maybe ten minutes chatting with friends, and at least five mosquitoes bit me. Tomorrow, I'm getting the Witch Hazel. I did see it at the grocery store the other day, but did not buy it. I could not remember why I needed it. LOL. It's on the list again.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

mosquitocontrol
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Regina
Fayetteville OH
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  1:40:38 PM  Show Profile
There are many different ways to control mosquitoes. I was reading how people use onion, and garlic to help control them.
Go to Top of Page

mosquitocontrol
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Regina
Fayetteville OH
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  09:00:38 AM  Show Profile
Bear, has the witch hazel help in the control of mosquitoes biting you. I sure do hope so.
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Witch Hazel Remedy for Mosquito Bites Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page