Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 wanted to share a little family history.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic wanted to share a little family history..... Next Topic  

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  08:02:59 AM  Show Profile
so I am posting photos about my trip back to Iowa and Wisconsin, and the things I have found out about my Norwegian background.....go and visit my blog.

Both sets of great-grandparents were founding members of Lutheran churches, and both churches still exist. This week I get to visit both.....so I am blogging about it.

Any other farmgirls of Norwegian descent here?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Sep 19 2011 10:58:29 AM

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  08:06:44 AM  Show Profile
No Norwegian in the English/Irish girl, Jeannie, but I wanted to write about how lucky you are that the church is still in existence. What a wonderful thing to see your grandfather's name in that quilt--I would have been bowled over. It's like him reaching through time to say "hello".

Thanks for sharing--made this dreary grey morning happier!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  08:41:48 AM  Show Profile
that is exactly how I felt, Jonni.....You are always so good at expressing things!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Edited by - jpbluesky on Sep 19 2011 10:58:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  09:05:18 AM  Show Profile
It's just very serendipitous--that the church is still in existence, that they show the quilt. Very wonderful hommage to their church elders and those who came before. I just think I would have been floored :)

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  10:43:05 AM  Show Profile
That is so cool! I don't have Norwegian blood, but I do have Swedish blood in me, so not too far away! Shirley, I think that's so cool that you get to go visit those churches! I hope you take lots of pictures!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  2:13:32 PM  Show Profile
Swedish and Danish here, but my best friend is Norwegian! Does that count?

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  2:28:18 PM  Show Profile
yes it counts!! :) I was born and raised in Illinois, as my dad moved there and married in 1938. His younger brother stayed on the farm.....probably not room enough for two brothers.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  3:05:13 PM  Show Profile
Not Norweigen (Menno mostly) but I have Norweigen friends and I love Leftse. And I know how to say Uff Da! Does that count? lol

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  4:00:24 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie
I'm Lutheran & have Norwegian in my heritage, but most of the OH Lutherans are German, German , German!
Iowa is very thick with the Lutherans, & my previous pastors wife is from Iowa (a big Hawkeyes fan) so I am not surprised that your family has such deep Lutheran roots in Iowa.
Here is a brief history of our church. Very rich in German heritage..goes without saying.
http://www.lutheransonline.com/servlet/lo_ProcServ/dbpage=page&GID=20052583890185283201111555&PG=20060207540490036901111555
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  06:23:25 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, thank you for sharing that! A beautiful church, and it has an amazing history.

Kimberly - I love lefse too! Grandma always made a batch to send home from the farm with us, and it never made it to the end of the trip.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  09:35:49 AM  Show Profile
I know my paternal american ancestors were Danish-- My european patriarch was a soldier and was "paid" by William of Orange in "new world land" which was the oldest scam in the book at the time! I think it says something for his and his brother's tenacity that they hopped a ship in England to Virginia to collect it!! LOL
The "Zellers" changed their name to "Seller" to be more like their english neighbors and claimed a large section of land for their own. I don't know too much about the family's early years. The next details in the history really come from my great grandparents who settled and raised their family on a farm in Indiana.

I know Lutheranism was a big deal in that area at that time. I remember something mentioned about a great aunt moving and being hard pressed to find a "missouri synod lutheran" church. Also a lot of german roots from intermarriage. One of my father's great aunts was a kaiser's cousin. Ran away to America to marry a cavalryman.

On my mother's side my grandmother claimed to be sweedish... but she was also a vain woman and could just as well have said so because sweedish women were considered desirable at the time. Pretty certain my canadian grandfather was of norwegian descent judging by family traditions that were passed down, hard to tell for sure though--no joke, he ran away with the circus when he was 14 and changed his name! Yep! Granddad was an illegal canadian immigrant living under a false name!

Anyway, if all that is true, I'm a scandinavian mutt! LOL

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  08:56:20 AM  Show Profile
Jan, wow that is interesting! You had several ancestors that were really adventuresome!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  10:29:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm not Norwegian myself by my two close friends are. One if full blooded Norwegian and the other is half Norwegian and half Swede. Both feel their heritge is very important in who they are. Funny thing is they haven't met each other yet but I just know they will both get along since they have a heritage in common.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

monique
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

monique
lepelstraat noord brabant
Netherlands
165 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  2:26:14 PM  Show Profile
I'm from the Netherlandsand it's great to read that one your ancestors was paid by William of orange. he is from our royal family and we call him Wllem van oranje.

http://thymeandlavender.blogspot.com

www.wolshopmonique.nl
Go to Top of Page

monique
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

monique
lepelstraat noord brabant
Netherlands
165 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  2:27:28 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, has to be Willem van Oranje.

http://thymeandlavender.blogspot.com

www.wolshopmonique.nl
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  1:54:34 PM  Show Profile
Jen - see this previous post! Very interesting. I posted a little more since and will post more. Went to see Little Norway in Wisconsin yesterday, and will post photos of that later tonight. How in the world did our forefathers and their families (no matter the country they traveled from) survive?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic wanted to share a little family history..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page