Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 How spoiled are your chickens
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How spoiled are your chickens Next Topic  

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  10:34:19 AM  Show Profile
Those of you who have read my comments on chickens know that I tend to go beyond just raising chickens...so I thought it would be fun to see who else out there spoils their chickens also & how.

madeline got over worked by roosters at her old home & back was completely bare so this summer I worried about sunburn so besides using baby sunscreen on her I used a doggie dress until the feathers came back in...Now how spoiled is that...lol

& no they just can't have a yard to play in they must have a play house & toys to climb on & a nice old dog house with a flower pot of daisies in front.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6676 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6676 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  10:40:42 AM  Show Profile
I do not have chickens but I get to share my love of them through Michele and all the other farmgirls. I love reading all your post and chicken stories. Thank you for sharing and putting a smile on this old farmgirls face:-)
FarmGirl Hugs,
Debbie

If you are lucky enough to live in the mountains you are lucky enough.

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  10:55:21 AM  Show Profile
Thats hilarious Michele! So cute!!! Love the pic of chicky dress up!

I don't have any chickens, but you know... I spend more time making breakfast for my ducks than I do for my kids sometimes! lol

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  5:23:13 PM  Show Profile
My Chickie Girls are pretty spoiled (my DH thinks so anyway) :)

Every once in a while, I bake them cornbread, if we eat out, my cornbread comes home to "my girls"!. They get so much attention, they love to be petted and picked-up, will follow me all over. They get left over veggies as well as fresh veggies.
They get all the good chicken food too! These are just some extra's!
Love my "Chickie Girls"!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  6:28:35 PM  Show Profile
Not as spoiled as yours!!! LOL love it. Happy chickens. The dress is my favorite.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  06:57:52 AM  Show Profile
Mine are getting pretty spoiled. They tend to expect to see me coming with their little bowl of goodies every afternoon....and there is much rejoicing!!

When there are leftovers or scraps around our house, the first question is, "Is it safe for the chickens?" If yes, they get it. If no, the next question is, "Is it compostable?" If yes, it goes in the compost bin. The last resort is to go in the trash.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  10:25:01 AM  Show Profile
Another thing I do ...I am involved in a wonderful co-op where I can buy 50 lb bags of things so each fall I order 50lbs of raw oats,stone cut oats, 7 grain mix, wheat germ & flaxseed so that I can mix it all up in a big metal trashcan i keep in my laundryroom....Once it gets to about freezing outside I make a warm batch of that mix with either homemade yogurt, all animal powdered milk or warm water & feed that to them each morning...once a week I will add baby liquid vits to it & maybe sunflowers ( from the co-op)...I also have pumpkin I put up in the freezer that I put out to thaw in the evening & they may get that in their morning meal as well....sometimes I make a big crockpot of stone cut oats & add the thawed pumpkin just before I take it out to them....I used to feed this to my old blind dog before she passed & they were all happy to get it on the chilly days....Now if I could only buy cheerios in 50 lb bags for their daily summer treat!..lol...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  11:01:48 AM  Show Profile
Michele,

I'm printing off your "recipe". I don't have access to 50 lb bags of that kind of grain, but I can improvise with the ingredients. Thanks!!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirlonPark
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Kelda
Des Moines Iowa
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  11:51:37 AM  Show Profile
I think mine are pretty spoiled but I love the little dress!!! I recently picked up an old ladder because I thought they would like it...that's my latest "spoiling" story.

Fun topic - thanks!!
Kelda

God Bless & Happy Trails!
Kelda
Farmgirl on Park
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  6:39:56 PM  Show Profile
Paula, I'm looking for an old ladder for my girls - still on the hunt:)! Love the pumpkin idea and the oats too - will remember that for cold days ahead! Thanks for sharing

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  06:07:34 AM  Show Profile
talking of food: Can chickens eat instant oatmeal? I have never made regular oatmeal but i'm willing to learn for my girls. :)

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  11:56:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes Pilar they can eat regular oatmeal...raw or cooked....the raw oats I feed mine are regular oatmeal that you get in the store just in a huge amount...lol you can even do the quick(instant) oats that don't take as long to cook...but they love it all...one thing I forgot to add is never feed them dried rice as they are like any wild bird & it can kill them...but cooked rice is safe for them. just remember to either add some cool water or let it cool down as they will attack it & you don't want them getting burned from the oats in the middle that will be hot.

I must say I am sooo thrilled to see all the writings from you hens & know that I am not alone when it comes to our 'kids'..as for the ladder idea...instead of paying $ for a old ladder go get a free old wood pallet & take out ever other board.....I have one like that I did in the big coop & the kids like being on it & it was free!!!...did I say it was free...lol...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How spoiled are your chickens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page