jorlex
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jennifer
Northwestern IL
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  08:39:52 AM  Show Profile
I've been searching through forum, internet and can not find out what is going on!

I have nice red roma tomatoes, but when I cut inside each of them, it looks like a green strawberry inside. What has happened???? Please help, I've tired of searching all over!!

jorlex
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jennifer
Northwestern IL
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  6:39:15 PM  Show Profile
I guess the lack of response means...no one knows heh? We got our seeds from Gurney, is it possible they were not Roma seeds??
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  8:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
I am so sorry..give it a bit I am sure others will jump in..but no I have no idea! Years ago when I had a garden, all our tomatoes were bright red inside except for the green and yellow ones which of course were not supposed to be...and I do not have all my garden books here so I may not be able to look it up..but if no one jumps in I will go search and get back to you!!! Promise!!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  8:59:53 PM  Show Profile
That's a tough one not seeing them, but from what you are describing, it sounds like the seed area did not develop. I hope you find an answer to the dilema you have with them.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  10:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
..Ok, I looked in the books I do have with me and no luck...it seems just off hand like either you have a different kind then you think or some nutrient difficency. But I was not able to pin it down. So what I did find out is that you can contact a Master Gardener in your area or anywhere in IL by going through the extension office. I DID find that information!! Here is the link!

http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/state/findoffice.html

this will help you find an office close to you and you can then call and ask yourself!! The service is free and if your closest office doesn't have a Master Gardner, one of them will and all of them can help anywhere in their State!!
I do so hope this helps!! And I am so sorry I could not help more!!!
Hugz!!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  11:09:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi, this must be very frustrating for you, thinking you have all these lovely ripe tomatoes. I suppose you could still cook with them? I found the following information about whitefly in Australia. The symptoms sound similar(under point 2 in the Damage section, it says some varieties show no external blemishes). Of course, this is a government department's agriculture information, so all the control measures are non-organic, but at least you might have found the pest. Hope this is some help.
Jayne

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/health/18455.html

Go to Top of Page

jorlex
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jennifer
Northwestern IL
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  1:55:48 PM  Show Profile
Well thanks for some direction! I did email my Illinois Extension office for help! If I get an answer I will post it, in case anyone else has this happen to them.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Tomato Trouble! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page