kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  2:41:12 PM  Show Profile

My daughter and I just got back from Villa Rica, Ga. We went to a coupon seminar given by the lady who started Southern Savers. She is amazing! Talked for 3 hours straight without stopping except to listen to a question. Amazing lady.

I learned SO much. And I am excited to start getting free toilet paper and Bounty paper towels and tooth paste and shampoo! SHe said even if you are bald, it's free! Get it. Someone you know can use it. Even if it's free Depends. Take them to the senior center. Someone will use them. They are FREE.

But I am really so confused to say the least. I think I need to go to coupon school now. And I need lots of coupon inserts from the paper. And organizers. And lots of free time. And people to give me their coupon inserts too. Oh my goodness. This could be fun or I could get sick. Really. I do have a head ache right now.

Does anyone here do this? How did you start? She said to start small. Like go to CVS Sunday and JUST get the free tampons. That's all. Just one thing. So I am so excited about going to get free tampons now. I don't need them. But they are FREE. Anyone else going? CVS is amazing too. All those ECS's you can earn. Those are "extra care bucks" for all you who were wondering. It's like free money. You spend and they give. It's so cool.

I am going to have to open a blank face book page now just for coupons. And another email just for coupons from stores so I don't get over run with them in my regular email. So much to do now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Sep 11 2011 09:54:18 AM

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  4:32:20 PM  Show Profile
At my house we use a 3 ring binder filled with plastic sheets designed to hold baseball cards, and slip the coupons inside of the slots (all the same products get their own space) then we bind and organize the coupons in the order of the store layout. I'm not an "extreme" coupon-er because I won't buy something on a coupon unless I'd consider buying that or a similar product w/o a coupon.

The grocery store is banking on the fact that my cart will get fuller on stuff I would not get unless I had 20 cents off. I'm from the school of finance that says even if something is 50% off, I'm not saving money by buying it if I don't need it in the first place. (Free is another story though.)

Anyway-- When I am considering putting something in the cart, I flip through the section in the binder, and see if I happen to have a coupon to match it. Typically I do, especially at Kroger where I clean up on "manager special" sell by date clearance items, plus coupons.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  5:54:00 PM  Show Profile
Do not even come close to that much shopping to be that crazy...I only go to the "Big Box Store" once every 2 1/2 - 3 months, cause I grown and raise most of what we eat...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  06:59:58 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Tina.

Jen, so how did you get started? Do you go to several different stores or do you have your favorite store and just go there? I used to do that when my kids were little. I'd look through the sale papers and go to the 3 major stores and get all their sales. I only had about $25.oo back then.We grew most of our produce. And had chickens and eggs.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  08:28:31 AM  Show Profile
I watched an extreme coupon show the other day and no offense to anyone who does it but I was horrified. The amount of time and energy spent on "free" items was ridiculous. People spend hours per day doing this when they could be enjoying their life and family in a more healthy way. I was appalled at the stock pile of stuff in their homes that most likely will never be used before they expire. No one needs to have that much stuff. Again sorry if I offend anyone but to me it is another form of hoarding which is considered an illness. I coupon for stuff I actually use regularly but don't stockpile so it isn't couponing that I think is a problem just the extreme couponing. I agree when it is done for a charity or a group that needs items because it will be put to use.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  10:33:15 AM  Show Profile
I guess I should have just said "couponing" so I changed the title. I could never be like those on that show, Extreme Couponing. I do grow all our produce and raise all our meat. So I don't hardly ever buy actual food when I shop. I would just like to have toilet paper so we will never run out. And hubby has to have Bounty and that is SO expensive. So if I can get it cheap or even free, I will maybe go to a little more trouble to get it. I did learn so much from just going to that seminar yesterday. She did say to not ever clean out an item like they do on that show. It's not good for the store and other people might like some of that too. But that to get just what you would need for 6 weeks because there will be another sale with the same things on sale.

Mt step dad just called and asked how it went yesterday. He said there was a woman arrested here not long ago for stealing newspapers just to get the coupons and she put the papers back. They got her on survailance doing it. Now that's a little extreme.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  10:38:07 AM  Show Profile
Ingrid I saw one of those Éxtreme Couponing shows too and felt exactly the same. WHEN are they ever going to use up all the stuff they got for free. A family of (say) 4 can only use so much in a month and they had enough to last at least a year! And they still keep going on and on....spend up to 800 to 900 dollars at a store, had ton's of coupons and only paid 10 dollars or so. Great if you give it away to the needy, a shelter...but not to store it on your home, have tons of stuff and get more and more every week or month :(

I also try to save with coupons if I can get any. Maybe save a dollar or 2 on products lol. That is all

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  8:02:05 PM  Show Profile
Kristin,

Here's what you need to do. I'm going to get you all squared away. First, you need a "Case-It." That's a 3 ring or 6 ring binder with a zipper all the way around so things don't fall out. You can find the baseball card pages at Hobby Lobby or similar store. Now you're ready!

The best beginner web site is CouponMom.com. It's the easiest to follow for copying what other shoppers are doing. Unsure of how to work the best deal? Someone else has probably posted their shopping trip and how they did it, what coupons they used, etc. CVS is a very good store to start at and so is Target. I did a one month class of how to shop at CVS combining coupons and Extra Bucks to get things for free or pennies. After the class I ended up using what they paid me and extra bucks to buy an outdoor patio set for free! Target is awesome because you can stack a manufacturer coupon with a Target coupon.

Will it take time? In the beginning yes, because you're figuring out what system works best for you. Start with only one Sunday paper, but not on a holiday weekend (no coupons). When you file them in baseball card sleeves make sure the soonest to expire is on top. Then, when the end of the week rolls around you are only pulling expired coupons from the top, not looking through them all. You will find that a regular shopper (me) will only spend 1 hour per week keeping up the system and looking at the store circulars to make a game plan. You'll really get good at noticing what's a good sale or the store trying to pull your leg. It's easy to breeze through a store ad when you know that.

Now if you're really good at it and you don't mind talking on the phone, then one day you may be featured here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703615904575053413229901660.html?mod=WSJ_hp_editorsPicks I'm at the end of the story.

Am I an extreme couponer? Not at all. I don't have stockpiles of stuff. I do donate to the Women's shelter and the pet shelter, if I'm getting the items for free. The savings we make have paid for full tanks of gas, good shoes for DD, etc.

If you're interested, give it a try. You're the one paying your bills, no one else is, and until they volunteer to, I say do it your way!

Julie

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  8:37:03 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, couponing is only what you make it. You can do a little of it or you can go whole hog with the extreme couponing. Starting out small is a good thing, though, I think. It teaches you the ropes, gets you in good with your clerks and store managers because you aren't overwhelming them with a boatload of coupons when you aren't sure what you are doing, and builds your confidence. You can gradually go bigger and bigger.

I use the three ring binder too. Unlike most people who divide their binders by product classification, I have 26 dividers - one for each letter of the alphabet. I have the baseball card sheets behind each letter divider and so I have all my coupons filed alphabetically. When I am standing in front of the cereal isle, and I see that Smart Start is on sale, I just flip the the "S" divider and there is my coupon. I got fed up with trying to remember if I had toilet paper under paper products or toiletry items! :-)

I have gotten everything under the sun for free or nearly free and my fun thing to do is to take boxes and fill them with food (have even been able to include fresh meats) and take those boxes to struggling families. One time, I saw a woman almost get hit by a car in the grocery store parking lot and when I squealed, she just lost it and cried to me because not only did she nearly get hit, but she needed groceries for her children and had very little money. I took her into the store and took her shopping, using my coupons and showing her how to use coupons. We got a whole buggy of groceries for $20 and she was thrilled. So just because you don't use something, you can use your free stuff to help someone else.

Plus, couponing helps you to plan ahead. We Americans have gotten too complacent living day to day. We have grocery stores close by and we think that we can just run get something when we need it. But the people in New Jersey and the other areas that got hit by the hurricane found out that stores can be out of everything. With inflation rearing its ugly head these days, buying stuff in bulk for cheap is like putting money into a savings account. Believe it or not, about 6 years ago, I got 50 tubes of Crest Tartar control toothpaste for free using coupons. I brought them home and stored them. Guess what I haven't bought for the last 6 years?

So have fun. Don't stress and start small. You will be very proud of yourself when you get that first free item!! :-) Good luck.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  10:14:39 PM  Show Profile
Today, I got two bottles of free advil! Hehe!
I agree with Julie, it's silly to stockpile all that free stuff before you'll be able to use it, and it should be donated to someone that needs it.

I really pick and choose where I use my coupons. Kroger will also let me use a store coupon AND a manufacturer coupon on the same item. I've discovered WalMart will not honor buy one get one free coupons of anything. I watch the adds for the stores to do coupon specials. Kroger (Fry's here) and Safeway run "dollar coupon" promotions where the store itself will round up the value and eat the difference of coupons worth less than a dollar to a whole dollar, no matter if the coupon is worth 20 cents or 75 cents they ring up the discount as $1 off. Some places have "double" or "triple" the coupon values similarly. I spend my whole dollar coupons at any old place I'm sale picking.

OH! I also like Kroger because they print and mail coupons based on your club card buying history-- including coupons for their generics, or coupons like 5$ off a purchase of $15 in the meat or freezer department. You can also go to their website and pre-load their web coupons on to your club card and it redeems the virtual coupons on the card whenever you buy the item.
The gas points program is nice too-- they put points on your card when you spend a certain amount in the store and you can redeem them at Kroger or Shell gas stations for 10 cents off per gallon.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Sep 11 2011 10:17:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  05:28:26 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Been there done that, really cant get much free anymore wihtout jumping thru hoops and going from store to store. we cannot get double or triples here so most of the time the coupons arent worth my time. Also the stupid paper cost $3.xx now so would have to save that right off the top.I do still look at the sneak peaks of the coupons coming out to see if there is something i could use.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  06:00:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Ingrid, I feel the same way. I think free is great! Saving money is wonderful. Coupons are fantastic!! What scares me is the I only need it cuz its free mentality. If you're going to give it to someone who will use it, its safe, but to stock pile an absurd amount of things you could never use before it reaches the end of its shelf life? Shampoo has chemicals in it, but it goes ransid after 24 months. Toothpaste and make-up have a 1 year shelf life. I saw one *extreme couponer* who had over 1000 pks of diapers. She was single, no children, and no prospects at the moment. I know diapers do not go bad, but aren't we discovering as a nation right now that HOARDING has become a major epidemic? I feel like the purchase, or picking up of free items, so the sole purpose of getting it at a large savings, is just perpetuating the problem. Frankly, my time is worth money. If I had to sit a few hours a day collecting coupons, just to save half on my toothpaste, I don't see how I honestly saved anything.

I don't mean to be offensive, and truely hope no one takes it that way. Again, saving on things you need to buy anyway, with some coupons in your arsenal, absolutely!! But for some, its become an obsession. Life, growing kids, your grandkids, and friends lose time, if you devote all your time to collecting coupons, free stuff you don't need, or it becomes an obsession about couponing, rather than saving on all you need.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  06:06:32 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the great advice. I did not go shopping yet. Sundays are not good for me anyway. I feel bad doing anything on Sundays. But will be looking for good deals and coupons for the things that I am looking for.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  10:06:46 AM  Show Profile
I've taken a few couponing classes, and I really don't agree with the "Stockpiling" of the "Stockpiling so you can donate" mentality. While I think it's a generous gesture, I believe that the stores DO need to make money, and by cleaning out their shelves and then donating it, you're basically taking money out of that businesses pocket, which, in turn, makes them tighten down their coupon policies.

I'm all about saving a few dollars, and the free item that I will use in the next year, but anything beyond that I just have a hard time rationizing, personally.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DeborahLee
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Deborah
Starkville Mississippi
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  11:42:14 AM  Show Profile
Kristin,

I would recommend starting small. I've taken the same Southern Savers class (she is good) and I believe even she recommends that you start with some basics and work from there. Personally, I've found the drug stores more trouble that I'm willing to put up with---I don't have time to stop endlessly at CVS or Walgreens to get whatever product combo is free that day. I have a friend who happily works these deals all the time. Some of it is personal preference.

I do clip from the Sunday papers and there are a few products that I get their coupons direct from their website. I used a notebook and some plastic holders that I already had (what's the point in spending big bucks on a couponing system to save money?)

The price cycle concept and the *small* stockpiling approach will save you as much or more than the coupons. Grocery stores and food producers run their sales on a cycle---matching the needs of your family to that cycle can really save you money. For example, I have a friend who just stocked up on paper products because she was out---she was shocked to spend over $100 at the store, mostly for nonfood items. I paid a fraction of that amount because I buy what I need and use when it's on sale, and buy enough to last until the next sale. No one needs a century's worth of toilet paper! But buying it when it's at the "low" price of the cycle and on sale, will result in some significant savings.

Between couponing (I'm lucky I have a Krogers that doubles coupons) and shopping sales (and using the product cycle method of stockpiling) I've seen about a 40% overall savings in my food/household budget. That's pretty significant savings for a fairly modest investment of time.

Good luck!

Deborah

Professor, librarian, writer and farmgirl!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  06:15:26 AM  Show Profile
We have an Earth Fare here. I went on line and signed up for their specials and got a coupon for a free whole chicken and a pack of organic cookies! The guy said I could get any one f the chickens. So I got a 5 pounder. So that was pretty good. And they had a .75 off of the Bigalow tea so got a box of green tea. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

And BiLo has Northern toilet paper on sale for just $5.99 for 12 rolls. I am one of those that could have a room full of toilet paper. I do not ever want to run out. I was at Dollar General the other day and saw a little tiny 4 pack and thought it was so cute. That's what I used to buy when we first got married. Now I get the huge big mega packs. I could run out of food but not toilet paper. And it seems like paper products are so expensive. I don't buy cleaning things because I just use baking soda and vinegar. And I use baking soda to brush my teeth. And I make my own soap. I did try making clothes washing detergent but it just was not getting them clean enough for me. SO I buy All.

Megan, Jennie pleads for people to NOT take every last one of a certain item but to call the store in advance if you know there will be a good sale and you have 50 coupons to get it free. They will special order it and still have some for other people to buy. It is not good for the store. They don't like that. I agree. She says to just get what you will use in 6 weeks because that same thing will be on sale again. You can always get more. That does border on hoarding for sure, all those extreme couponing people. ANd if it takes more than a few minutes to get all those coupons together, that's too much time for me.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  10:47:58 AM  Show Profile
There is a misunderstanding how coupons work for stores. The stores do not lose money when customers use coupons. They actually make money. The store is reimbursed the face value of the coupon plus they receive at least 8 cents for handling. Plus, it moves inventory off the shelves. Having inventory that goes bad myself, I can understand the advantage of that. Plus, many of the sell by dates on items are as long as two years too early. With all of the regulations and possibilities of lawsuits, producers have to give shorter sell by dates just to cover themselves. The toothpaste that I am using is still good as new and is doing a good job. My dentist thinks so anyway. I spend half what I used to on groceries since I started couponing and purchasing in bulk. It is a great way to shop.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  5:12:13 PM  Show Profile
Well, I went to CVS this afternnoon. Went in, got the card, went to the coupon center and scanned it, and it said there are none available. So I asked at the register and the other lady said it takes 6-8 weeks before I will be able to get any coupons from the center. I got a little bummed then and kind of lost interest. I had some coupons with me but there prices are a little high. I could get most of the things I had coupons for a lot cheaper at Dollar General. So I left with only one thing. A tube of toothpaste. Had a dollar off coupon so pain around $3.00. I think I should have saved the coupon and went to Dollar Gen. I think I need to go to the store with a professional couponer. Most of the coupons I would never use because I would never buy the product in the first place. But I would donate it to someone if I could get it at a good deal. So how does this work? I am a little frustrated and alot confused.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Sep 15 2011 5:12:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  7:46:47 PM  Show Profile
it's ok Kris, you don't need to feel compelled to use a coupon just because you have one. 1$ off is not always a savings over a competitor's low price, the trick is to be lucky and happen to have a coupon for an item you *happen* to find on special.

Example: If Walgreens had shampoo in it's add on sale at 2 for 3$ (or 1.50 each) and you had a 1.00 off coupon, you would buy that shampoo for fifty cents. If the shampoo was not on sale, and cost $3.00 for one bottle, you would probably pass on it and save the coupon for another day. $2 for shampoo isn't all that cheap (relatively speaking.)

You can also do some good with coupons you gather that expire before you use them. Many military bases have a coupon collection charity where they accept expired coupons and pass them on to military families to use at the commissary. The base stores accept coupons for either 30 or 60 days past the expiration dates (I can't remember which)

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Couponing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page