Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Groundhogs and Rabbits and Critters, Oh My!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Groundhogs and Rabbits and Critters, Oh My! Next Topic  

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  7:03:53 PM  Show Profile
Well, our wonderful garden is not so wonderful any more. It started with finding a couple of green bean bushes laying on the ground - the roots were gone. Groundhogs! Then the rabbits have been eating my cantaloupes. A lot of stuff burned up - the peas, corn and remaining green beans - due to the drought conditions here. I actually saw a groundhog digging in the front yard and put some poison peanuts down the hole. Anyway, now the rabbits are eating the blooms and what ever has grown above ground in the front and I found a Gloriosa Daisy laying on its side this evening. I was told to spray the veggies with soapy water and that seemed to help. All the cantaloupes and pumpkins are gone, but I found 2 watermelons. Several people told me to put hair around the garden and that would scare everything off so my boss' husband, who is a barber, send home a few bags and we scattered them all over the veggie garden. No luck. We though some of the zucchini plants had just burned up and died but noticed tonight there are no roots. I am so at the end of my rope.

Does anybody have any suggestions for chasing these varmints off? HELP!!!!

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go

Farmgirl Sister #2351

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  09:23:37 AM  Show Profile
Predator urine, you can buy it at most all sporting good stores and/or gardening centers, also you can make a spray from hot peppers and mist the plants and ground...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  06:31:10 AM  Show Profile
I was having problems with chipmunks and was told to use hair around the plants, in particular, dog hair. Did that (emptied my vacuum around them actually) and had no more problems. What about dog hair?

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  4:58:37 PM  Show Profile
Haven't tried that. Can't find urine in any amount worth talking about. Will get with my friends about dog hair. Thanks so much!

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go

Farmgirl Sister #2351
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  12:11:22 PM  Show Profile

Natural pest control!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Groundhogs and Rabbits and Critters, Oh My! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page