farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  04:07:18 AM  Show Profile
My son got braces last week, and we paid for them with our HSA (healh savings account) which is run through a debit card type thing. (My husband's employer puts a certain amount of money into it every month to be used for health expenses.) The card scanned, everything was fine. My husband got an email from the HSA a couple days ago saying "We need documentation for why you spent 3K at an orthodontist." I thought that was pretty ridiculous and joked with him that he should tell them it was for a really expensive cup of coffee in the waiting room. ;) Anyhow, so he sends them a copy of the receipt and everything else they need. End of the day yesterday he gets an email back last night saying they DO NOT pay for braces UP FRONT.

UM....WHAT??? They're already in the kids mouth!

They then said (in this email) that they WILL pay for braces divided into monthly payments because "braces are not considered to have been performed until they are taken off, and that's when we pay for them." Which makes no sense to me. Like my husband said, if you pay for the braces "up front" you get quite a deal on the price. With monthly payments, you actually pay more. So why would the HSA want to pay the bill like that?

Now we have to wait to talk to the orthodontist today because if she won't let us "re-do" the contract (meaning she's considering it paid up front right now from the HSA), we actually have to pay the HSA card back the $3,000 and have the HSA send us monthly reimbursements. It makes NO sense to me, and I really don't want to have to dig up $3,000 when we're supposed to be using that money to (hopefully) buy a house in the next couple months. So I'm hoping that the orthodontist can work with us in this (really stupid, in my opinion) oops and we can just switch to having all the monthly payments come off the HSA card, instead of having to repay the card and have the money be sent back to us every month. I'll keep you updated on what we find out.

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  05:08:52 AM  Show Profile
Amy,
Oh my dear friend! Not fair, nor does it make sense. Wishing again we lived nearby...I'd make you a cup of coffee and some pumpkin bread, and we could sit and vent!! Big hugs your way.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  05:10:05 AM  Show Profile
Boy. What a mess! I think it is so crazy in this country that everybody involved in paying for healthcare be it insurance companyies or HSA or whatever do not get the fact that paying up front or even paying in cash is soooo much cheaper than the alternatives. We have found that when you pay cash to a doctor or even for prescriptions without going through an insurance company, it is usually cheaper than if you had used insurance. I buy my prescriptions in bulk at Walmart and get them cheaper than if I use insurance! Makes absolutely no sense.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  06:43:47 AM  Show Profile
I just got off the phone with the orthodontist, and I feel a little better because she said she had never heard of a HSA not paying in full for braces, and they are totally willing to work with us to remedy the situation. Thank goodness for small favors!

The funny thing is that I'm leaving in an hour for an oral surgeon appointment so we can get an estimate on what it will cost to get my sons extra tooth cut out (the one that's causing all these issues). So I suppose I will have to deal with the HSA once again. GRR!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  07:32:59 AM  Show Profile
Amy- It's so crazy to offer a HSA for someone to use for health expenses and they decided how it will be used. We try to plan and help our families as much as we can and they dangle the carrot and pull it away. How crazy!!! I hope it all works out..ortho is so expensive! Good luck at the Oral Surgeon today . :)

Lori
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  08:17:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Dang Amy, how stupid this is...glad the office has agreed to help you...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  08:19:27 AM  Show Profile
That's ridiculous! Hope you get it all figured out with the least amount of drama.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  12:45:10 PM  Show Profile
SO glad to hear that they orthodontist office is willing to help clear up the mess! Isnt it just crazy that you have to go through this in life? Makes you wonder why everything has to be made so difficult, when its already a done deal?
Hope it all irons out for you!
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  1:00:50 PM  Show Profile
Well we got everything ironed out with the HSA. We are just going to re-do the contract at the orthodontist's office to have the HSA card pay the bill monthly. It will still be a stupid amount of paper work every month, but better than having to take 3K out of savings. We also talked to the HSA about the upcoming oral surgery we got an estimate for today and they gave us approval in writing that they would pay for all of that up front. Good to know. Why did it have to be so difficult the first time? And why does someone else get to tell me what to do with what's in our health savings account?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  1:35:29 PM  Show Profile
Amy,

Great question- why do they get to tell us how it will be used? Wish I had an answer to that question! The HSA companies should be able to tell when a claim is done at a Dr's, Dental, hospital etc..why do they question? don't use it...lose it!! (I think that could be the reason)

Lori

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  1:39:05 PM  Show Profile
I agree Lori. It's almost as if they want to make it a total pain in the rear so you DON'T use it. I know the first two years we had the HSA, we never used it because it was such a pain to get reimbursed or to actually use the card. Just makes me giggle because when my husband's employer decided to switch to this kind of plan, the cops were really skeptical. And the boss man said "Oh, it's going to be GREAT!" And now they are hearing constant complaints about it. I always wonder when they will wise up and get a different plan. Too bad it would probably mean a more expensive plan. :(

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  5:27:29 PM  Show Profile
Good question Amy. Sounds like a Health Scam Account to me. I mean it is your money that would have been on the paycheck. Maybe with such a large amount they are afraid they would pay for the braces and then your husband would quit working there? They could have been burned like that in the past and now from one bad apple everyone has to do it the hard way.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  6:30:30 PM  Show Profile
You have to know that the government has a lot to do with how you spend you HRA as well as your employer. I work in the industry and I can tell you that orthodontic care is payable on a monthly bases or after full orthodontic care. Also remember maternity care is the same way. Don't pay the doctor prior to delivery.

I work for a Third Party Administrator (pays out benefits for self funded employer groups) and my own employer has added additional clauses to their HRA as to what type or what kind of care it can be applied to. So my best advise is to read your plan or policy and be aware of what the government allows as eligible expenses.

Madelynne

www.johnandmadelynne.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  8:07:47 PM  Show Profile
Insurance Companies love to make taking advantage of their services so complicated in hopes that fewer people will make them pay up for the service they are suppose to provide in my opinion. Such garbage that you have to deal with this.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  3:53:26 PM  Show Profile
This is exactly the kind of nonsense that needs to change in the health insurance business. It's bloated, inefficient, cruel and often arbitrary. I'm glad you've worked things out, but you should never have been put through this.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic $3,000 oops - NOT happy! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page