Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  12:23:16 PM  Show Profile
I really don't know who to talk to without someone getting all pissy with me. I just got called to the HR managers office at work and told that if I use any sick or vacation leave I will probably get fired. Apparently there is an unwritten rule that you need to maintain a moderate balance at all times and I don't measure up. It did not matter what the reasons were they just want me here. I don't know what to do.

My finances are a wreck and I'm stressed out, one son has ADHD and the other has Aspergers and Bi-polar. My husband can't drive on his own and cannot even interview for a job and all I want to do is cry. I have been trying to get myself completely health this year including all the dental stuff you need and dr appts to get the right meds for my asthma but they don't appreciate that I am trying.

I have Dave Ramseys class in September and I'm filing the FMLA paperwork so I have no problem dealing with the shrinks and all for my younges son. I'm doing stuff to make things better then I get the call from HR and it just makes it worse. Now I all stressed out again and sick to my stomach with how to protect myself and my family from ruin. Not taking any leave would be great but I am a realist, I know someone will come in with the flu and get me sick, then what I should come in and spread it?

Sorry to vent but I really don't have anyone to call right now.

God bless,

Judy

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  12:36:30 PM  Show Profile
Judy, I'm not sure what you mean about an "unwritten rule" but I would strongly suggest speaking with an employment attorney. This sounds suspicious...and a bit like they're trying to bully you and create a hostile work environment. If you have vacation/sick pay, you can take it. You can take it, take it, take it and roll it over to the next year, in most places. I know I think legally, often, because I work for attorneys, simply step back and logically think about "what" this HR person said exactly. Have you utilized all your alloted time? If so, then you would be taking days without pay and missing work. That could be grounds for dismissal. And if there is a need for you to utilize the FLA (Family Leave Act), they can't fire you--and they must hold your job until you return.

Do yourself a favor and stand up for your rights as an employee.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  1:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but sorry I don't but I can say a prayer for you and ask God to give you strength and peace through this trying times and pray he helps you with the answers you need. Bless you Judy

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  2:02:03 PM  Show Profile
Write down everything that happens at work regarding this. Good luck with everything.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  2:16:00 PM  Show Profile
I second the idea to see an attorney. If you're filing FMLA paperwork and they threaten you, they could be sued.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  4:18:52 PM  Show Profile
What Jonni said. Sorry you're having problems at work. It's sad that companies still resort to intimidation techniques.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  6:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yup! I agree with Jonni! She hit the nail square on the head. Keep a good journal about who you spoke to, what day and time and the conversation in great detail. Write it down as soon as possible so you don't forget. Also if any of those absences were due to family crisis and medical- fill out the FMLA paperwork. I believe they are required to take the paperwork even after the fact. I really really think that what they said was out of line and perhaps they thought they would "scare you straight" which is the wrong attitude to have. You need understanding and assistance. I went through a lot of medical leave stuff with my work too and I got a letter from the doctor stating I have a chronic illness and low and behold suddenly I wasn't on the "bad employee" list any more. We are on a point system where if you get too low on points you get written up and/or fired. After filing out the FMLA and submitting my doctor's note they gave me ALL my missed points back during the time frame since the doctor had records.

I hope that helps. Also you might want to talk to the manager of the HR person you spoke with. It sounds like it was handled poorly. Try to schedule a meeting where you can lay out your case and ask what you need to document within the company the medical reasons why you had to be absent. If they try to penalize you for medical reasons that is discrimination. Don't be afraid to let them know that you are taking this implied threat very very seriously.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cate1313
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Cate
Manlius NY
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  6:32:08 PM  Show Profile
I think all of thes ladies have some sound advice. I wish I could add more to it, but I have none. I can only wish you luck and send you some strength and hope through the wires.

~Cate

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night - Sarah Williams
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  1:57:06 PM  Show Profile
When it rains it pours.

All the above happened on Thursday, on Friday we had a real problem. I got a call from the school at 3:20 that DS#2 was not feeling well. The school nurse talked as if it was not a big problem just a little stiff neck blown out of proportion. By the time the bus got to our neighborhood the bus driver called our home and had my husband meet my son at the bus stop because he was doing badly. My husband got him into the house and called 911. My first son called me and stayed on the phone with me as I left work early. It was really scary, his head was twisted to the side and could not straighten it. It was cramping his throat and he was having a problem breathing. Two and a half hours later we were on our way home. The same thing tried to start Saturday, Sunday and Monday and we handled it with meds. Now my boss is still having a problem with me using any leave and I need to get to the Dr. and the school.

I am pulling my hair out right now. Husband has a cold and is cranky, we lowered the meds that caused the problem and now DS#2 is acting out more and I am stuck at work unable to help.

Please keep my son and the family in your prayers that we can get through this.

God bless,

Judy

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Who to talk to... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page