Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  5:43:45 PM  Show Profile
I planted WAYYYYY too much red russian kale. Does anyone have any good recipes for kale, or any good ways to freeze it, etc.?

Thanks!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  6:06:49 PM  Show Profile
I use kale in soups, stews, some stir fries, and for sauteeing. I don't really have a recipe. I am pretty sure you can just dry it on a rack and crumble it into winter soups and stews- or thread the stems and hang the leaves to dry on a drying line of some sort. Seems it could be put into sauerkraut, for anyone who makes that from scratch. It can also be juiced for health benefits, mixed in with other veggies- or put inot smoothies. I have had kale smoothies as a guest, have not made one, but I have to admit it was cleverly disguised in some way and the smoothie was yummy!
Also, livestock will eat kale.
Just some throughts!
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  05:53:15 AM  Show Profile
I have on in a cookbook by Michel Naiswan and it's specifically about red russian kale. I believe he grills it, with some heirloom tomatoes and basil chicken breasts.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cate1313
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Cate
Manlius NY
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  06:46:16 AM  Show Profile
I did the same thing! NO ONE leaves my house without kale in hand. I haven't tried it yet but I hear that you can freeze kale like you do spinach. Scald in boiling water for 2-3 minutes then put in a cold water bath. Drain and freeze.

One of my most favorite comfort foods is colcannon. Some make it with cabbage but my Irish grandma made it with kale. This is how she taught me: One part onion, one part kale, two parts potato (peeled or no), cooked til soft, mashed and fried in too much butter with too much salt and too much pepper. :) Obviuously not meant for every day or you'll have a heart attack!

My newest kale addiction is this soup - Chicken or veggie stock, about a pound of cubed ham or turkey ham, pound or two of cubed potatoes, big honking bunch of kale torn up, fennel, garlic, salt and pepper. And that's it. So simple and so tasty. My husband makes nom nom noises as he eats it.

Hope this helps!

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night - Sarah Williams
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  09:46:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Cate,
Both of those recipes sound really great! Thanks for sharing! :)

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  6:14:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! With the amount of kale I have I may try ALL of them!!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

Cate1313
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Cate
Manlius NY
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  12:10:00 PM  Show Profile
Glad you like! I'm turning green with all of the kale I've eaten :) I have another recipe from one of the gals in my CSA if you're up for it:

Massaged Kale Salad

a bunch of kale, stems removed and thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped or pressed
juice of 1 lemon (or bottled lemon)
1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
salt, pepper
2 tsp. honey
about 1 cup mango,diced small (may also use cantaloupe. We don't like either so I used a can of mandarin oranges very successfully)
small handful toasted pepitas(I used sunflower seeds because I had them.)
In large bowl, add kale, half lemon juice, drizzle of oil and salt. Massage until kale starts to wilt. Set aside.

In small bowl, whisk remaining lemon juice with honey and lots of pepper and garlic. Stream in the oil while whisking until a dressing forms. Pour dressing over the kale, and add fruit and seeds. Toss and eat.

Have you also tried the allrecipes website? It's real handy. I think that is the last of my kale ideas. I hope you had other very successful crops as well!

~Cate

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night - Sarah Williams
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  12:21:01 PM  Show Profile
Make Kale chips! You rub olive oil on the kale leaves, sprinkle some salt over and let them crisp (under watchful eye) in the oven at 350F. They are sooooooooo good!!! I got to try some earlier this year, I planted some Kale this year hoping to make a bunch of kale chips but my chickens got into my garden and enjoyed the kale before I could :(

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Red Russian Kale? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page