Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I don't know who else to tell.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I don't know who else to tell. Next Topic  

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  08:00:18 AM  Show Profile
I told my friend I am making an apron, and she said, "People wear aprons still?"
A part of our friendship died on that day. The only way to repair this loss, is to make her an apron, and show her the way.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  09:22:14 AM  Show Profile
That's so sad and funny at the same time.

I threatened to throw away one of my tattered aprons the other day and my 19 yo daughter was appalled. I couldn't throw it away because it's the apron I have had since before she was born. It's be repaired so many times I am not sure I can fix it again. But I have to try now.

Show your friend the way. She will become attached to one and find the joy! =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  09:26:38 AM  Show Profile
Agree with Angie--sort of sad and funny, too. I'll admit that the bottom on most of my jeans has some sort of greasy handprint (mine, not from the dh!) because I forget to wear one of the 4 aprons hanging in the kitchen, but I do love them when I get down to some serious cooking :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  09:48:44 AM  Show Profile
it is sad and funny. Make her an apron, invite her to a little tea party and show her the way!
share with your friend why you love the farm girl things in life and perhaps invite her over for some apron-wearing cookie baking

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  10:34:59 AM  Show Profile
I leave the book on the table every time she comes, isn't that funny. She is a BRAND NEW friend, or else she would already know all about being progressive by going backwards in time. Wow, I feel like Dr. Who.
Jonni, I am laughing because my shirt is sopping wet from not wearing an apron, right this second.
Angie, that is so cute. I have an old dish towel from my gramma that is older than I am.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Cate1313
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Cate
Manlius NY
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  07:04:39 AM  Show Profile
I do love a good apron when I'm cooking. I am a full contact baker and I'm covered in stains and smiling when I'm done. That makes me think your friend doesn't do much in the kitchen if she doesn't "get" the apron thing. Or she has an amazing washing machine.

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night - Sarah Williams
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  08:27:51 AM  Show Profile
This is all good advice. The problem I see with women not wearing an apron nowadays is that it seems to them to be so "old fashioned," but they lack common sense. If you wear an apron, you don't ruin your clothes......duh..... I know everyone has a shirt or top that they don't wear anymore in public because it has those little grease spots all over it! Alas....a lowly apron would have prevented the curse of the grease spots. I say, let's get the word out, girls! We can inform our uninformed sisters of the benefits of our aprons. And yes, make them one to spread the word!

Your sister chick,
Melody (coffeemom)
FG #833
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  09:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I love aprons! They are just a great symbol of being a woman! My apron is a dish rag, a pot holder, an egg basket, and so much more!

www.muddyprincess.wordpress.com

www.barefootfashion.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  10:56:29 AM  Show Profile
I love my aprons!!! I even go to the grocery store once in a while with it on. I forget I have it on and people will look at me really funny. I have my grandmas old aprons and I cherish them.
Angie I think you should keep the old apron if your daughter is sentimental about it and box it up and give it to her in a few years. I know every time I take my grandmothers old aprons out and look at them It brings back memories of her in my mind I can still see her working in her garden or standing in front of her stove cooking!!! She had a wonderful farm kitchen.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  12:12:34 PM  Show Profile
I'm an apron wearer and have long ones, short ones, tons of old ones and I buy new ones or make new ones using some of my old ones for patterns. I boxed up my antique ones last week in preparation for the move and it took 2 boxes to do it. I don't feel dressed for a day at home without one. Some friends call me old-fashion. I take that as the highest praise!

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

ninajb
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Nina
Muncie Indiana
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  07:29:52 AM  Show Profile
I love my apron!! For years I didn't wear an apron because that would mean I was "old". Boy am I glad I got over that. Now I feel that everyone should have an apron. Even my 10 year old son wants one now for when he helps me in the kitchen.
Go to Top of Page

WoodstreamDreambyNicole
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Nicole
Marlton NJ
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  12:26:49 PM  Show Profile
I'm not an apron wearer - my mother wasn't either. I long to wear an apron like my grandmother did. A friend of her quilted her an apron a few years before her passing. I have the apron. I feel like I shouldn't wear it because it took so much work to make, it's like a piece of art.

I've been eyeing aprons on etsy for design ideas. I've decided to use some of my grandmother's tablecloths (& dresser scarves) that don't fit my table (and have a few stains) but have beautiful embriodery to make myself a few aprons. I also have a poinsettia print valance that hung in her kitchen at Christmas time that I am going to get a bit of 2" grosgrain ribbon & thread through the rod pocket to make myself a little Christmas apron - but I think I'll have to add a bib and pocket...

I cook a lot and I stain treat a lot because I don't buy clothes as often as I would like... So I think my apron project will be coming along soon after the children start back to school and I've had time to get things done for my business. Then I will take a day or two to focus on me.

I love the idea of an apron, I just have never had experience with one, but secondhand in childhood.

Thanks for posting this.

Nicole
Shop
www.woodstreamdream.etsy.com
Custom Creations
www.woodstreamdream.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  4:31:57 PM  Show Profile
I am a total apron wearer. I do daycare for a living and is just messy work. I wear one at all times when I am at home (sort of my uniform!) unless I have bib overalls on..since they sort of do the same job for me. But mostly I wear a apron. I have had alot of people ask me if I bake alot or say "boy every time I see you you have been cooking". It is sort of true but I couldn't figure out for the longest time what made people always say that sort of thing until I realized it was because if they stopped at my house I was wearing an apron for sure. I have had to "enlighten" a few freinds about how great aprons are. I sometimes thing some people are just born apron wearers and some arn't though. Sad.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  5:08:27 PM  Show Profile
Nicole,

Your idea of using your grandmother's tablecloths is something I do. My future daughter-in-law is a farmgirl but just doesn't know it yet who's been repurposing fabric from all sources including tons of stuff from me to make designer scarves and other projects to sell on etsy and she's been making quilts for my son and her use. I inherited all my mother's and grandmother's linens - tablecloths, embroidered dresser scarves and pillow cases and have been sending a lot of them to Jessica (future dil).

Have fun and put your grandmother's apron in a shadow box and display it if you can't bear to wear it but personally, I'd wear it and feel the love of your grandmother every time you tie it on.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

Cate1313
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Cate
Manlius NY
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  6:17:24 PM  Show Profile
Nichole, I agree with Nancy - wear the apron. Then when people see you in it, you can tell them it was your grandmothers and tell them about her. I can't think of a better way to honor her.

I rather like the repurposing idea too.

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  7:40:49 PM  Show Profile
Trish - your post makes me giggle. :) I don't know if any of my friends DON'T wear aprons. Not that its a requirement...I just seem to lean towards those kinds of gals, I guess! You go ahead and make and wear all the aprons you want...we will still love you!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  7:50:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Amy. She is the kindest woman I know. She is an orphan that was raised in foster care, and guess what? She adopted two babies when she was 19. She's a farmgirl already and doesn't even know it.

CATE OMGoodness, full contact baker, that's a zinger, I'm saving that one! Have you ever gotten so messy that a sort of batter occurs by happenstance in your apron pocket? I hate that.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  7:51:50 PM  Show Profile
So many men are jealous of your husband, I bet. "That Jenny, she cooks!"
quote:
Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

I am a total apron wearer. I do daycare for a living and is just messy work. I wear one at all times when I am at home (sort of my uniform!) unless I have bib overalls on..since they sort of do the same job for me. But mostly I wear a apron. I have had alot of people ask me if I bake alot or say "boy every time I see you you have been cooking". It is sort of true but I couldn't figure out for the longest time what made people always say that sort of thing until I realized it was because if they stopped at my house I was wearing an apron for sure. I have had to "enlighten" a few freinds about how great aprons are. I sometimes thing some people are just born apron wearers and some arn't though. Sad.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Cate1313
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Cate
Manlius NY
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  08:31:48 AM  Show Profile
Trish - YES! So many weird things end up in the corners of my apron pocket. What's funny is when you put something in there and then forget and look all over for it. It's like not being able to find the glasses you are wearing! I'm kinda scattered that way... :)

~Cate

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  09:48:10 AM  Show Profile
Don't y'all feel naked without your apron? I know I do. I have one for my kitchen work, one for my house cleaning and one (two, actually) for my farm chores. Um, yes. I definitely find an apron a priority piece of clothing!

from the hearts of paradise...
1Thess. 4:11
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  11:02:53 AM  Show Profile
When I do wear one, I forget that I have it on after so long and then when I sit down to rest for the night or eat dinner, I still have it on! Taking it off signifies "mom is FINISHED!"

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

blackfell_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Casey
Chandler AZ
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  09:44:58 AM  Show Profile  Click to see blackfell_farmgirl's MSN Messenger address  Send blackfell_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Alas!! I have yet to make my first, very first apron of my very own!! :( My mom has one that I bought her at Disneyland. It is Jean and sooooo durable! But she says it is too hot for phoenix.... Hmmmm..... I may have to steal it. :) I have so many ideas for aprons, but I am A VERY POOR SEAMTRESS! :) I would like an apron toolbelt, an apron that seperates out into "chaps" of sorts (leg coverings) and of course a good old fashioned style one with pockets in front.

You ladies Rock!! keep up the full contact baking! and Gardening and all other things Farmgirl.

blackfell_farmgirl

HorseCrazy!
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  2:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I've made my hubby a chef's apron because he likes to cook although he's never worn it he was amazingly touched that I made it for him. I've not made one for myself though.....YET. The idea to make from old tablecloths idea I love as I brought home lots from my mom's and while I'd thought of making dish towels from them or pillows I wasn't sharp enough to think of an apron so thank you for that idea. I did order myself a nice full apron from grace the other day and should be here soon. I can't wait. My very own apron :) I have such wonderful memories of my maternal grandmother in her apron. She always had one on. She made us girls little bib aprons when we were small. I've always thought of aprons equating love. I want that for my grandson now. For him to see me and my apron and know "gwamma" is here and everything is going to be okay :).

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I don't know who else to tell. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page