Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  08:48:48 AM  Show Profile
I was thinking about looking into teaching a couple classes at our community school here in town. I would like to pass on basic crochet, knitting and sewing to anyone who wants to learn. Not sure if I should make up kits for each student, I have enough materials at home to cut down the cost, and not sure what I should charge for this class. Any ideas would be very helpful.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  10:06:02 AM  Show Profile
Teaching is a great way to earn a little money while you pass your skills on to others. You can really make a difference in a person's life by teaching them a skill that they can use as a hobby or a way for them to earn an income.
I teach some classes at the Ozark Folk Center. My favorite is teaching a one hour, "on demand", class in rag rug crochet. I charge $15 for the hour (sometimes it goes a little longer or a little less than an hour depending on the experience of the student). I have materials available for them to purchase--crochet hook, balls of fabric--at a price that makes a little profit for me, but also is affordable for them. I buy crochet hooks in quantity online at the lowest price I can find, and students don't mind paying a little more for the convenience.(Basic guideline is to buy wholesale and double your cost as a selling price). I also buy fabric wholesale, then wash, rip, and roll it into 1 yard balls for the class. Students also have the option of bringing their own materials if they wish, but most are visitors to the Center that want to learn a quick skill. I have a written instruction sheet that I give them with their lesson, and I encourage them to write notes on it as we work through the process together. In the hour, they get a good start on their rug, and learn the skills they need so they can finish it on their own.
I would advise you to focus on a beautiful finished product that they can make (have some examples) and have materials available (a big convenience for students) if they want to get them from you.
Hope this helps a little.
Gail Lewis
Clothier, Ozark Folk Center

www.pasthymesfashions.webs.com
www.ozarkfolkcenter.com
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  11:24:49 AM  Show Profile
I was looking at a class here that was 2 hours, 2 nights and it was $40. I ended up taking a private lesson and it was $10 for an hour (maybe a little longer since we got to chatting!). I think having them provide their own material is reasonable too. Then they get the freedom to pick out what they want to use!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  04:40:49 AM  Show Profile
I would love to take a rag rug class. Wish I were closer. I taught a sewing class years ago. It was 8 weeks (doll class). I provided the patterns and a material list. It was fun but really difficult. Some folks came to learn but did not own a sewing machine so I ended up providing them. Some were really total beginners and needed basically someone standing next to them all the time but it was really fun. I'd say go for it.

I was thinking about offering a small group sewing class in my home. Do you think that would be doable?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience
Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  06:38:34 AM  Show Profile
I am finding in my experience here (our Folk Center offers a large variety of classes) that people are not as interested in learning to sew clothing as in learning a specific craft. I believe that is because of the influx of cheap clothing that is being made overseas along with the higher expense of quality fabric, patterns, and notions. It used to be cheaper to make your own clothing, but now it is cheaper to buy imported clothing. There is also a large market for thrift shop (pre-used) clothing.
If the interest is there, it would be great to teach people to sew. Another option, besides a sewing related craft, is teaching how to alter ready to wear clothing to make it fit, repair, or reinforce. Skills such as hemming, replacing zippers, updating, and fitting, are needed more as our economy and clothing quality goes downhill.
Around here, vistors want to learn a craft, such as making a purse, rather than clothing construction, although I offer a clothing construction class if someone wants that.
Gail
Clothier, Ozark Folk Center

www.pasthymesfashions.webs.com
www.ozarkfolkcenter.com
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  08:22:08 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for all your ideas and advise. I now have a basis to start figuring out what to do and teach. Regardless of what I choose I will definitely provide the necessary tools and supplies so no one has to go searching. You have inspired me to continue.

Go to Top of Page

JamieRose
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jamie
Crystal Lake IL
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  08:28:36 AM  Show Profile
Speaking of classes...
I have taught many sewing classes in the past, but struggle on finding new students. I can use the class room at Hobby Lobby for free, but they do not do any advertising for you. Any ideas to bring students in? I find a lot of interest, but a lack of time is what keeps most people away. I live in a suburb of Chicago, so there are plenty of people around.
Thanks!
Jamie Rose

www.lovegivenaway.blogspot.com

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  09:28:58 AM  Show Profile
You might try advertising on craigslist - community activiies area or in the arts and craft section to get students. There is a website called meetup.com (I think that is what it is.) I don't know if you could advertise for students there or not.

What about advertising in a church bulletin.

Just thoughts off the top of my head. Would be interested in hearing others too.

What would you charge for sewing classes? I know there are a couple of sewing shops here that offer classes on their machines. I always figured they were trying to get you to buy a new machine so I never took one.

Alexis

Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  09:35:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ingrid -

Just a word of caution - I was asked to teach a knitting and crocheting group at our local library, and everything went fine until I got a student who was left handed. I had no idea how to teach them since I'm a "rightie". Do you know how to knit and crochet both right and left handed? If not, you might want to learn before you offer classes.

Hugs and good luck!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  07:43:22 AM  Show Profile
That's funny I am left handed and can actually knit, crochet and sew both ways. But your right, no pun intended, there are other situations that would complicate the teaching process. My sister is right handed but knits left handed and didn't know it and struggled to knit right handed. She came to visit and was knitting and it looked so awkward that I put her knitting needles and thread on left handed and then she just wipped along. So I guess I can teach either way but didn't really think about it.

Go to Top of Page

JamieRose
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jamie
Crystal Lake IL
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  1:55:50 PM  Show Profile
Alexis,
I usually charge $60-64 for a four week class, two hours each week. I try to have a minimum of three students. If I teach at Hobby Lobby, the classroom is free. If I teach at Hancock Fabrics, they collect all the money and would pay me 70% of the fee. I did that once and it took a couple months for me to get my money.
Jamie Rose

www.lovegivenaway.blogspot.com

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  2:35:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jamie,

That is good to know. That sounds really reasonable.

I don't know what folks charge here. I know Joann's offers classes. I took cake decorating there. It was fun and I see the children's classes. There is a new place opening called the Creative Stitching Cafe near us that I am watching. I don't know if they are having classes or it is just a meeting place for others. It is in a shopping center and I haven't had time to check it out.

Go to Top of Page

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  2:45:46 PM  Show Profile
I would love to find a sewing/knitting class where I live in Olympia. Joann's has scheduled classes but they always seem to be when my kids' have games or they are on Wednesday's when we have Bible study.

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Classes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page