Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 Help! What should I do?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Help! What should I do? Next Topic  

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2006 :  9:25:35 PM  Show Profile
I'm trying to start a new chapter in my Area. I have chosen the name Rural Farm Girls. I've asked a few people but what else should I do? How do I find members? What should happen at our first meet. Do we elect officers? am I in charge because I am the founding member? Am I responsible for organizing all the meetings? How often should we meet? etc, etc..... I need advice!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Aug 02 2006 10:54:12 AM

jorlex
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jennifer
Northwestern IL
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  06:36:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad you posted this question, I too am trying to get a chapter started in my area! I just have to find the others in my area!
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  08:14:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls, me too! I'm a chapter of 2. Just trying to get going, but it will. I'm checking with my local quilt shops, and quilt guilds to recruit some ladies that like to do the farmgirl thing! It will happen! But for now, I'm just enjoying it all myself!

gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  4:58:03 PM  Show Profile
I've been trying to organize a charpter too. A co-teacher has decided to join. So now we are a chapter of 2. We're planning our first informal meeting for late August before school starts.
Mary
Yakima

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  06:21:01 AM  Show Profile
How about asking the feed stores if you can post a flyer? And also at any restaurants and any other places in town where you think you might find other farm girls - quilting and knitting stores, churches, farmers markets, co-ops, extension office, tractor supply?

My Homesteading Journal
http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal
http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Aug 03 2006 06:22:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  06:31:26 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I hadn't thought of that! But there are women who frequest those places that might like to join in on our fun, sharing, and all we do. And want to do!

Thanks!

gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  3:35:22 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad you asked this question! I thought about posting a flyer, but then thought - what will it say? So I wondered if I should come up with a "program guide" first - like a calendar of events - once a month or so, take a farm-related trip (farm tour, workshop, berry picking, fair), or do an activity together like renting a commercial kitchen for a day to make jellies.

But I haven't done either of those things yet... no poster, no calendar.... I will stay a chapter of one until I publicize, I am sure!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  6:13:45 PM  Show Profile
Two more members. I was at an Education Conference carrying my "Farmgirl at Heart" bag and picked up two more members. The beautiful bag is great advertising. Now we are a group of four.
Mary
Yakima

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  8:49:44 PM  Show Profile
Julie - and everyone - what fun to start Farmgirl Chapters!!! I'm glad you asked the question, too. Everyone has had such great ideas. Farmgirl Chapters are whatever you want them to be -- groups of Farmgirls who get together to support each other, help each other... groups of like-minded gals who want to take the "Farmgirl at Heart" and project it into the community. It's so much fun for me to think of everyone out there doing such positive things. No need to elect officers or organize in a certain way -- just do what works for you! Chapter Leaders receive newsletters from MaryJanesFarm monthly that they can share with the members of their Chapters. These newsletters have ideas from around the globe and highlight what is going on in different Chapters -- so if YOU all have things that your chapters are doing, I'd just LOVE to hear about it!!!

As far as looking for new members, posting flyers is one really good way to get the word out - and I think you'll find, as I have, that the more positive Farmgirl energy you have, the more your "can-do, will-do" attitude shines through, the more gals will wonder just what you're up to, and want to join you in it!

I really like the idea of meeting, say, once a month on a certain day or date, but that works for the Chapter that I'm in - everyone has their own schedules to work with. At your first meeting, you could always have a potluck lunch and a "get-to-know-each-other" type activity - like asking each person to write a description of themselves, minus names, and then put those descriptions in a jar and have everyone pick one, read it out loud, and guess who it is describing... just some ideas!!!

Have FUN!!!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  11:19:35 PM  Show Profile
Julie -- our chapter meets on the third Monday of each month. We set it up that way so that each member would be able to plan for sitters, etc. We've gotten new members through word of mouth and through our Farmgirl sales. I think putting up flyers is an excellent idea.

We started out just meeting once a month to do crafts together. It is a time with no kids and we can just have girlfriend time. Everyone brings a snacky type thing and the hostess supplies the drinks. Each month a different person hosts and gets to pick the craft project that we're going to work on plus supply the materials. Each member of our group has a different talent to share so that makes the craft projects fun -- I sew, Missy makes soap, another gal does jewelry, etc.

Now that we're adding members we're branching out into community service projects. Have our sale coming up on August 19th as a benefit for Cystic Fibrosis. Then we'll have a winter project -- think we're going to make walker bags for the residents at a local nursing home.

Like Libbie said -- just make it what you want it to be and have fun!

Lotion bars, linen spray, and purses in my online shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Read my ramblings at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  10:29:48 PM  Show Profile
Julie - how is the new chapter going? Is there anything I can do to help? It is so much fun reading everyone's ideas on what to do during get-togethers, I just KNOW that your first will be a success!!!

There are some more ideas on this thread, too:

[http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4990]

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  08:59:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone!

Libbie - Things are going well. HAve 4 poeple who want to join but our first meeting isn't set until the 2nd week of september. I teach (as do 2 of the other members) At our school Teachers go back tomorrow (boohoo!) and students start on the 21st. It's kind of busy right now so we pushed our meeting back a few weeks. I've made a flyer to put in all the teachers boxes and I'm gonna hang one up at the grocery in town! All the comments and suggestions have been super helpful!

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  11:02:30 AM  Show Profile
Julie... I just looked up Russell and it looks like you are only an hour away from me...I would love to join your group... I live in White County, between Heber Springs and Searcy.

Cyn
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  6:24:56 PM  Show Profile
Not Even an hour! I'm only 15 minutes from the Searcy Wal-mart! We will probably meet in Bradford the first time which is just on the other side of Plesant Plains! When we meet it will be at the Bradford School ( I teach there). We plan to meet sometime in September! I'm in SEARCY ALL the time! We shop at the Wal-mart there. WE go to searcy at least 3 times a week. Plus we go to church in Searcy!!!! YEAH !!!!! I am SOOOOOOO excited! Pop me an email artist@willowtreecreek.com and maybe we can meet at Hastings at the coffee shop or at Midnight Oil one night!!!!!!!!!

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  8:25:59 PM  Show Profile
I've never been to Midnight Oil...been wanting an excuse to go... it's not a place for my hubby...he'l like a bull in a china shop and the kind that makes the Marlboro Man look like a wimp...he really believes that real men don't drink fru fru coffee...lol... so when can we meet there?
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2006 :  09:00:24 AM  Show Profile
heehee! My husband feels the same way about coffee. I'll get school started this week and then maybe we can meet!

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2006 :  7:30:19 PM  Show Profile
Awesome Julie...email me when life settles down for you and we will get together. I can't wait!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  12:02:22 PM  Show Profile
Drove through pangburn today on our way to heber. We always celebrate the start of the school year by going to the red apple inn. Thought about you as we drove through. Hope your hubby's hand is all right!

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  6:47:53 PM  Show Profile
He's doing a little better, thank you! You will have to tell me about Red Apple Inn, I've heard it's great but I've never been. After hubby is better hopefully we can go on a date there.

Good luck with your first day of school!

Cyn
Go to Top of Page

SpinninJenny
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Jennifer
Mansfield GA
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  11:58:30 AM  Show Profile
Have ya'll thought about posting fliers at local auction barns? There's an auction barn 2 miles from my house and the place is packed on the Sat. evening they have the horse auctions!!! There's all kinds of women who attend with hubbies or parents.

Also, Georgia prints it's weekly Farmers Market Bulletin. The subscription is free for residents, and ads are very inexpensive. I don't know if Texas or Arkansas has anything similar.

You also might check about posting a flier at the local 4-H Club. Also the county extension office will know about some of the women who raise fiber producing animals (sheep, alpacas, llahmas, angoria goats & sheep). My local handspinner's guild has lots of "Farmgirls"!

Jennifer in GA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

The man who sets out to carry a cat by its tail learns something that will always be useful and which never will grow dim or doubtful. --
Mark Twain.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  02:34:58 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jennifer! Great idea!