Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  12:50:27 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, I'm thinking about building a monetized website, I have a couple ideas for the topic but not sure yet where I would start it would be mostly a content site with affiliates and ads. Eventually I may ad a store feature. I basically have to have something that I can do 99.9% from home and this seems to be the best choice. What I'm wondering is what platforms (hosting, email systems etc) do you use? I'm looking at SBI because its basically all-in-one. I've used it before (played around with building a website that I never finished and never took off but that was my fault not theirs) but that was several years ago. Do any of you use it? I have a couple questions before I decide. I'm also open to other suggestions.

I did think about just starting a free blog on my topic and building from there but I'm not sure if that's the best way to go (besides I don't seem to be good at blogging but building a site I think I can do lol).

Thanks!
Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

iamacountrygirl
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Kathy
Ohio
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  8:18:30 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina,

I have a site with SBI. It's www.small-business-accounting-info.com. I've been working on it - VERY part time - for just over 2 years now. I'm making a small amount of money with Google, nothing with Amazon, and I have placed 2 ads on my site from folks who've emailed me to advertise their product in a link. I should be spending more time on it...but life happens, ya know? The SBI "package" is full of stuff to use on your site, and it costs $29.90/month, or I think $299 annually. I'm paying by month right now. So it does cost, and it takes a while to get some traffic going. I think some of the options you can find elsewhere, but you have to pay a web host anyway, and I think it's usually about $20/mo. I'm not advertising (lol) but that's the facts. Anyway, I'm still going slowly...as I'm working full time and caring for an elderly parent, besides my house and horse and dog. It's crazy sometimes, I don't know if I'm coming or going most days! I've signed up with Commission Junction to do some more ads on my site, when I find the time! lol.
If you have questions, just let me know. I'm no expert, but I'd be glad to help.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Thinking about website(s) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page