Penny Dyke
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Penny
East Palestine Ohio
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  05:42:44 AM  Show Profile
does anyone know how to clean wool thats been sheared I saved the wool from my sheep but I don't know what to do next.

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  11:12:45 AM  Show Profile
Check out pg. 24 and 25 of the Sheep and Goat thread under barnyard buddies. That should get you started.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  09:59:23 AM  Show Profile
I was raised with sheep & what we did back then...was first pick out all the big stuff, get rid of the area that had urine/poo ect on it...its impossible to get truly clean, then we would shake big pieces of it to get out as much as we could....we then boiled water in big pots...lots & lots of pots...lolback then we used metal wash tubs & would put sections of wool that would fit in each comfortably but not so much we couldn't rinse it with the hot water...we would let it soak at least 30 mins, using a stick to get every bit wet...we would have a few other buckets set up with clear water for extra rinsing...using gloves since parts were still pretty hot we would pick out anything that floated to the surface of the water then just push the wool down over & over in the water, removing stuff as it came up.....once that was done it all went into the next bucket & we did it all over again this time pulling on the wool to get some things out of it as we smashed it down into the water....the finally bucket of water was cool water & it was put in that so all areas were cooled down & rinsed a finally time.....there will still be stuff in the wool don't worry about that cause when you card it you will get that off.....we actually hung our pieces on the clothesline...lol....with old sheets under it on the ground to catch any that fell......Then before the sun set we would shake off the sheets, pick up any wool...take the sheets & lay them out in the shed on the floor & then lay the wool that was hanging on it for the night....when we did this part we would shake the wool pieces as we got them off the line, & pull the wool so it was not so thick then lay it out.......Once good & dry we would again shake it outside, pulling it more then put it in pillow cases for protection until we were ready to card it.....the sheets were shaked, folded & then used on the floor & on us went we got to carding it....we would do the hot bath & cool rinse again after it was carded if it was still dirty looking...It took time but it was alot of fun & my hands never felt softer thats for sure......Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic How do clean wool? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page