Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Beaucoup (lots) of Okra Next Topic  

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  9:58:03 PM  Show Profile
My tomatoes have dried out. My eggplants are no longer producing. The cucumbers are dried and sad looking. BUT--- the okra plants are absolutely green, with big leaves, and they are at least seven feet tall, and producing beaucoup (lots, and lots and lots) of okra. I am elated!!!!!!!!!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  10:06:38 PM  Show Profile
My husband loves the pickled okra that I made. But mine didn't come up this year with the weird weather. Next year???

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  10:15:08 PM  Show Profile
I love okra any way one can good it. In fact today, I cooked a 7-steak gravy and put okra in the gravy. It thickens it.
My sweet hubby had that over rice, and Mexican corn. I think he ate too much. LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  07:01:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh now I wish I had of planted okra!!!Hum I wonder if there is still time????? Congrats on all the okra!!!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  08:30:35 AM  Show Profile
Dorinda:
My hubby and I just put new okra plants in the garden. I think you'd have time to get that done.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  12:15:53 PM  Show Profile
Congrats! I wish I could say mine was doing really well. I cut maybe 10 or 12 pods a day, if I'm lucky. Egg plant is producing like mad and still getting a few tomatoes and bell pepper. Everything else has pretty much played out. It has been so hot and dry here this summer I'm surprised some things produced as well as they did.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  2:20:24 PM  Show Profile
Tina:
My eggplants are producing over time!! However, I no longer eat them. I fried some and got so sick. Never again. LOL
Marly

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  09:10:54 AM  Show Profile
Nibe too, marly. I have been freezing the bigger ones and pickling the smaller ones. I did 12 yesterday and 7 a few days before. About the easiest thing to can ever. And oh so good later.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  8:28:53 PM  Show Profile
Kris:
I just asked you how your okra was producing on another posting. Sorry.
Happy to hear y'all are still picking okra. My gumbos will be nice and thick. LOL
Marly

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Beaucoup (lots) of Okra Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page