Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Ugh! Chigger bites ALL OVER--ugly and red
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Ugh! Chigger bites ALL OVER--ugly and red Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  12:33:03 PM  Show Profile
and I'm going out of town with my husband this weekend to celebrate our 10th anniversary. Sorr, nothing says "sexy" or "pretty" like 30 chigger bites around your bikini line and nether region!!!!

I sat down at the amusement park on Saturday to watch the kiddo's do a sack race and I'm assuming, that's when they found me.

Anything I can do to get rid of the reddness and swelling? I realize they're not going away any time soon, but can I at least make them less noticeable?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

WoodstreamDreambyNicole
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Nicole
Marlton NJ
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  2:08:52 PM  Show Profile
I've only heard of painting clear nailpolish over them to suffocate them (years ago was told by a fisherman friend). I've never had to try it, but that doesn't sound healthy - or pleasant for where you're having problems!

GL!

Nicole
Shop
www.woodstreamdream.etsy.com
Custom Creations
www.woodstreamdream.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  2:09:16 PM  Show Profile
OH, I'm sorry Jonni! That stinks, it figures before your anniversary. I'm not sure about chiggers but I use a dab of Lavender Essential oil on my mosquito and deer fly bites. It helps with swelling, pain and itching.
Do you still have chiggers? If you see a hair like thing sticking through your skin you might. Dab with clear nail polish and it will suffocate the chigger.
Hope it heals soon!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  2:15:37 PM  Show Profile
You can also use a deoderant stick on them.
Ouch! Nothing worse.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  6:11:12 PM  Show Profile
A candle lit room & a few glasses of the spirit of your choice... & I bet those chigger bites will not even have a say..
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  9:15:56 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,

Sorry you have to deal with this especially on your anniversary.
If you find something that helps, please let me know. My chigger bites get huge, like 3 inches across and are the worst torment I have yet to feel. I tried so many different things, nail polish, polish remover, ethyl alcohol, something my daughter used for fever blisters, some kind of sulpher salve and so on and so on...everybody I talked to had a different remedy and I tried them all but nothing worked for me.
I got this idea that they were so tiny I would cook them. Put hot packs on them (so hot they almost blistered my legs). They didn't die. Then I used the blow drier on them. Just pissed them off and they paid me back, they got worse, so please let me know if you find something that helps.

Of yea, Happy Anniversary!

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  07:34:16 AM  Show Profile
Thank goodness we don't have those things out this way. Yeehaw!!

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  08:02:57 AM  Show Profile
Well, I just bought something pretty that came down WAY over my thighs!!!! I didn't do a lot of good with much of anything I tried, Kathy--I mainly sprayed the Benadryl antihistamine spray on them and that seemed to take the redness out, but it still was never very "lovely". During one exasperating day, I counted 35 bites! I must have sat right in their little nest, those little buggers. Noone else in my group got a single bite!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  1:14:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh no! I'm so sorry! I've tried the nail polish-it just makes them angry. The only thing that helped was anti-itch cream. But it does nothing to actually kill the dumb thing!!!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  12:37:33 AM  Show Profile
I did that once....sat down on the ground to watch a tennis match on the edge of a clay court...was on vacation in North Carolina. Boy was I a mess, and it hurt. Hope you are better now!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  6:51:41 PM  Show Profile
The best way I found to deal with chiggers was to move to Colorado!

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  10:19:58 AM  Show Profile
A move to Colorado is not in my future but would like to visit sometime. We have a beautiful piece of property in the NC mountains that we hope to retire on someday. The property does have a chigger population. I have heard that they are very difficult to get rid of. Heard that guineas as will eat the little things so I'm going to check that option out. Guineas are also supposed to be good at helping to protect your chickens from hawks and that sort of thing. Don't know anything about them except that they have a loud call, but I'm going to learn. HATE chiggers!!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  5:49:02 PM  Show Profile
I realize this is an older post but chiggers come back every year so I wanted to say someone told me to dab the bites with clorox and it would kill them right away and take away the itch. for me it did seem to work.

"Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it.
Action has magic, grace and power in it"....
Johnn Wolfgang Von Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  09:34:25 AM  Show Profile
Wonder if this will work for hay mites

I don't think those have a "season" per-se so I imagine anyone who has to buck hay for a living might encounter these year round?

hopefully this won't be an issue 'till next sumer either, but I'll file it away in the 'ole memory banks just in case!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Ugh! Chigger bites ALL OVER--ugly and red Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page