farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  4:13:06 PM  Show Profile
Would you rather buy a "farm" that is turn key, ready to move into, everything is fine with the house,...but needs some money put into it to make it a self-sufficient place (as in the "farm/garden" part of it)....

Or would you rather buy a "farm" that is totally ready to go for self sufficiency (the "farm/garden" part is all set to go), but the house and other buildings need a LOT of work to move into?

Where would you rather spend your money? This is the issue we will be dealing with in the near future, and I wanted some farmgirls' opinions :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  5:13:12 PM  Show Profile
I would prefer the turn key.

There are lots of ways to set up the garden/farm part from reclaimed materials and such. You can't always do that with house. I would think that would be the cheapest way as well.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  5:29:15 PM  Show Profile
After having part of our house flood and having to live with a gutted kitchen and master bath to almost finished after 5 months, I would definitely take the turnkey. I built my raised bed garden with free wood off Craigslist.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  5:39:52 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by farmmilkmama

Would you rather buy a "farm" that is turn key, ready to move into, everything is fine with the house,...but needs some money put into it to make it a self-sufficient place (as in the "farm/garden" part of it)....

Or would you rather buy a "farm" that is totally ready to go for self sufficiency (the "farm/garden" part is all set to go), but the house and other buildings need a LOT of work to move into?

Where would you rather spend your money? This is the issue we will be dealing with in the near future, and I wanted some farmgirls' opinions :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

I would rather have the "turn key" house. Putting a new roof or dry wall yourself is *not* fun. Grafting trees for an orchard, restoring a barn, those things are fun to me, and I'm willing to bet for most of you. I think it's important after working outside all day, to come in to a warm (or cool) dry, airtight, and comfortable house to recharge.
I'm starting to shop for a home too and DH and I have agreed on some basics we *must have* on a prospective house.

~The home must be livable from the second of purchase. I've lived in enough dumps in my lifetime. No leaks, good well for running water, good wiring. I'm fine with cosmetic stuff like paint, wallpaper, and ugly kitchen cupboards. If major repairs are needed (like a new roof) that will be a condition of sale for us. I also will not touch mobile homes. I've been living in "disposable" houses for most of my life and I'm not going to put blood, sweat and tears into a house that will be trashed due to regular wear and tear by the time it's paid for. If there's one on the property it had better be a second dwelling.

~Must have 2 bathrooms, 4 bedrooms, or 3 bedrooms+ extra room usable. I've got 3 girls shoehorned into one room now, and I think I need a guest room. I expect to have a revolving door for family.

~Must have some kind of basement/storm shelter (I'm moving to tornado alley)

~Must be 10 acres +
~Must have some sort of usable barn.

My hubby's father had a fencing business so I'm not concerned with fences-- we know what we're doing there. But pre existing ones would be a plus, as would fruit trees, berries, or a garden plot (soil is a harsh mistress where I'm going.)

Highway frontage would be nice for a farm stand. Would also LOVE a shop building or two, one for my projects, one for hubby. I've seen a couple nicely manicured places with classic cars and motorcycles and such under several nice outbuildings. I'm sure the owners would be horrified if they heard me say to myself: "That would make a great dairy barn-- I could put the stanchions there... and that would make a good coop, and *that* I could use for a goat or pig shelter!!"

I'm also hoping for a wood stove (or two) in the house, and a nicely sized wood lot.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  5:44:25 PM  Show Profile
I didn't think I would want to do any work to a house when we were looking. But we could not spend too much and knew we would have to. So when I saw this run down place I knew it was home right away. Even though the inspector kept trying to talk us out of it. The floors were like trampolines. He had written a book of all that needed done to it. It had not been lived in in several years and then a little old lady lived here by herself for years after her husband died. The place was literally falling apart. But it really felt like home. And it needed us to get it back to where it is now.

So regardless of what "you" want, when you see your home, it will not matter what shape it's in and how much work it will need. It will say it's been waiting for you, what took you so long? And you will just know then.

I hope you find the place that is waiting just for you and your wonderful family. It's out there, you just gotta find it. And you will!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  5:53:06 PM  Show Profile
I don't mind hard work...money is harder to come by. Houses that need fixing can be total MONEY PITS... you really never know what is lurking behind the walls!

~Vicky~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God. ~~Ronald Reagan

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  7:47:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the advice gals. Its nice to come here and have farmgirls give their opinion. You are all coming from the same place I am so its nice to hear what you think rather than what someone else in a completely different place in life thinks. :) Thanks!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  11:47:23 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mndreamer

I don't mind hard work...money is harder to come by. Houses that need fixing can be total MONEY PITS... you really never know what is lurking behind the walls!

~Vicky~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God. ~~Ronald Reagan

Yeah, mainly this. If all my money sinks are related to increasing farm production only, I think its a lot easier to live with and arrange than catastrophically neccesary house repair.

I think I saw Shelly Long and Tom Hanks in "Money Pit" at a far too impressionable age! Lol

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  05:43:58 AM  Show Profile
I've often thought I would want a perfect place, ready to start doing nothing more than maintaining it the day I moved in. After seven years on Paradise, that idea still has its appeal, but we actually had to start ten steps before scratch with clean up on the farm plus just making the house habitable (Green Acres looked like a model farm compared to our place). We could live in it, yes, but it needed a lot of work. Looking back, I wouldn't trade a hammer blow or a pitchfork swing for that perfect place. We have been able to put our own personal stamp on every inch of the place. It is still a work in progress and will be for many years to come, but every day we spend making progress is a good day to us. Even if I do run out of Epsom Salts on a weekly basis -- and I buy the HUGE bag of the stuff!

from the hearts of paradise...
1Thess. 4:11
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  06:54:42 AM  Show Profile
Well that would depend on your sets of skills and what you enjoy doing. If your husband is a carpenter and enjoys working with and fixing up houses that a fixer upper can actually save you money and you end up with a BEAUTIFUL custom home that you can take great pride in. But if there are no carpenters in the family.....fixing a house is spendy. Setting up a property can be too. Putting in irrigation and building outbuildings isn't cheap. So it depends on what you enjoy doing, how much money you have to spend, and which home grabs your heart and screams that it's yours! Personally, that's what I look for, the house that screams it's mine. But I also have to have a house that's mouse proof and won't make me ill so I'd have to go with the turnkey house if given a choice. I always end up changing the turnkey houses..... like the one I'm in now, we tore up all the rug and put in flooring (allergies)and put in a wall and a door and made the retreat room into a bedroom.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  07:05:18 AM  Show Profile
Turn-key house is my choice. Our KY house only need cosmetic changes to turn it from the original man cave into something welcoming for a lady. We'll be concentrating our time and money getting the land ready to sustain us...an orchard, berry bushes and "square foot" gardens in raised beds and possibly a green house. After we've lived in the house for at least six minth, we'll start the tweaking of the interior of the house. I'd love a kitchen redo,new shower stall and the back porch screened in for kitty. Other than that, the house only needs interior painting to soften and lighten the colors. Hubby still plans on building me my own little cottage...all white with window boxes on outside, pink and prissy inside but that won't happen until the necessary tasks are done and paid for.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  6:02:43 PM  Show Profile
Turn key definitely.

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  7:06:52 PM  Show Profile
I go with the others turnkey, as you never know what maybe behind what seem like only a "few" repairs.

Farmgirl Sister #2619

http://www.etsy.com/shop/vmfein
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  06:27:36 AM  Show Profile
Turnkey for me too. Depending on the needed farm upgrades, they can be prioritized and done over time. And my animals are not as picky about their digs as I am. As long as my guys have good shelter, clean water, and good hay...they are happy!

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  06:57:00 AM  Show Profile
Great topic because I have been considering selling my farm - I just had the roof replaced,new doors put in, the log and stone house is in good shape and the farm is structured to run animals from seven pastures thru gates and can be done by one person since it is just me... I also have a great forest on one side of the property with a camp site so you can give guests the outdoor feel of adventure. I have been organic for the past 15 years and the topper is a wonderful clear view of Pikes Peak from almost every spot of my farm but the best is sitting on the front deck drinking something wonderful while watching the herd of deer walk across my driveway with Pikes Peak in the background. So thanks for giving me some great information as to what folks are looking for. I wish you great luck in your search and if you are every thinking of moving to Colorado you could not find better then Larkspur Funny Farm.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  5:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Definitely would NOT want to sink money into the house, would rather put it in to doing something with farming part. To much to handle when you have to take care of the house more than maintenance. I would rather make it my own without having to do a lot of repairs.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  05:09:25 AM  Show Profile
If you're like me, you see a farm that needs work as an incredibly awesome opportunity. But once you OWN that opportunity, it's something different. It's like you get "Writers Block" and you can't really get anything accomplished. Whether it's lack of funds, motivation, or ideas...

I'd just rather have turnkey and be able to change little things I don't like.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  05:23:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the opinions, ladies.

Let me throw another hypothetical detail at you.

House #1 - in the middle of the woods with an outdoor wood boiler for heat, house has barn and small shed already but no garage. House needs minimal work (meaning nothing major) you can do yourself.

House #2 - in the middle of a field, no trees, has natural gas for heat and all appliances. House is absolutely turn key with attached garage. Has no barn or shed.

Ok, so I guess what I'm asking now is about the difference in the heat supply. Convenience of having the wood right on the property for literally forever...compared with having to rely on natural gas.

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  08:04:56 AM  Show Profile
Are both houses the same price range? I would assume #1 would be less expensive because it needs repairs and is less "complete". Would it be possible to park a car in the barn or the shed if it's a machine shed-type structure? In any case I would go with #1. Self sufficiency is the goal. As well as frugal. If you cant afford to have a garage built, the money you save on propane would probably go into a garage fund QUICK.
I've looked at starting a wood lot, but even with the fastest growing trees you're looking at a 5 year time investment minimum.
Caveat: Check your gas milage. If you have to add an extra 20 miles or so between house 1 and 2 on a daily commute figure that in.

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Aug 18 2011 08:12:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  12:14:04 PM  Show Profile
Think it through. Have the big things right when you buy it - water, heat, roof, floors, the rest you may want to change anyway to suit your family and your taste in the off season when you cannot do your gardening. Garages and out building can be built and is not as expensive as having your plumbing re-done. Have at least an equal amount of farmland and wooded area and access to a lake, river or pond (with fish in it). The less you have to do with the main house the better so you can dive right into the farm.

Good Luck and follow your dreams

God bless,

Judy

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Farmer Judy on Aug 18 2011 12:15:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  05:12:13 AM  Show Profile
Do you get a lot of bad weather up there in MN where these houses are?...
No trees would bother me greatly..one they are shade, a wind block & if needed can be cut down for firewood....so your heat & cooling bill would be higher with no trees....and your house is exposed to every element with no protection at all around it or near it....
the other may cause problems with bad weather if there is so many trees that they get over burdened with snow & ice but the house would stay cooler in the hot months & warmer in the winter. But are you wanting a garden that needs sun? Can you have that with that house?
i will take a barn if in fairly good shape over a garage anyday...not only can ou park the car/truck in there but you have wonderful space for storing outdoor things, shop things/tools without all the crowding you would get in a garage.
We are hoping to move back home (Missouri) from here (Massachusetts) in the next 2-4 yrs & I am looking already for places in the small town we want to go back to....I don't care what the house looks like as long as its in good repair & has a basement or root cellar for tornado season....but I want enough land 5-10 acres that is sunny in part & trees in part so that I can have a garden, get downed or dead trees for firewood...& either a good barn or pole barn for cars & storage....since its out a ways from a city it will be well water only & a private septic system....Since most of my hubbys family lives there I will have one of them come out with their big equipment & dig up a area for a large pond.....back up water for gardens ect & can be filtered for washing clothes ect if needed....I know from experience we will need it at sometime or another...like someone said above about carpentry...I have all the tools & equipment so that i can build, repair things in the house...build sheds, chicken coops from recycled pallets ect....also I have already invested in those heavy tarped carport & greenhouse buildings that can be taken down & brought with us for a garage, storing wood ect....
I can live without electricity as I have a good supply of oil lamps, a great wood cooking stove & a petal sewing machine....I no longer need all the fancy things now that i am older but have enjoyed going back in time a bit for somethings....
I guess what I am trying to say is what are your priorities that you have to have, would like to have, can live without or live without for a bit....what are the dreams you have for the new place & back up dreams...is money a big concern for the new place....are you planning on changing your whole life or parts of it with the move....I am excited for you 7 hope that what you find or get will be a great new beginning for you & your family....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  05:34:07 AM  Show Profile
Without any hesitation...house #1. Our KY house has a wood stove in living room that can be used as sole heat source for the 2 bedroom house and also can be used as a cook stove, top only, if necessary. We don't have a barn yet but there is a huge 3 bay garage. The thought of living out in a field without trees around me is not my idea of comfort or beauty. To each his own, though. I just need trees to nourish my soul.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

GoddessintheGroove
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Heike
Sacramento CA
265 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  8:03:24 PM  Show Profile
I would take the house. It seems that house fixins' always take more $$'s and patience than gardens.

Good luck!
Heike

quote:
Originally posted by farmmilkmama

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

FarmGirl Sister #2245
"A journey back to the roots..."
http://www.herbmagik.com

"One girl's trash is another girl's treasure."
http://www.mygypsymarket.com