True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  05:10:12 AM  Show Profile
I am going to start making pickle tomorrow.....Yikes. The problem is
I have a basic pickle recipe that I just love. Hubby (still a new husband) thinks I am taking the 'easy way out'. He wants a better pickle.......he has a very sofisticated taste in food.

So please post your favorite dill pickle recipes for me? Then he can pick one.

Also, is there a different between pickling salt and alum?

I want to use fresh from the garden for my pickles if possible.

Thanks a bunch
Arttie

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  10:38:42 AM  Show Profile
I tried 3 different ones out this year and I did 4 batches total. I totally took the easy way out for two of the batches and tried out that Mrs. Wages pickle mix from Tractor Supply. I got double the amount of pickles and it was a bit much for me to handle being pregnant and juggling being a mom to 2 kids under 2 and of course the normal housework. uh, and the garden. Anyway here are the two homemade recipes I used:
Recipe #1:
8 cups vinegar
4 cups water
4 Tbl sugar
2 garlic cloves for each jar
4 Tbl dill seed
2 tsp celery seed
2 tsp black peppercorns
1/2 cup pickling salt
fresh dill for jars

(you put in a clove at the bottom, pack the pickles, add one more clove of garlic and some fresh dill. Then you add the brine made with your spices and bring to boil and then process like normal)

Recipe#2
8 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups vinegar
1/2 cup pickling salt
1 garlic clove for each jar
fresh dill
sprinkle of dill seed for each jar.

(Add garlic clove and pickles to each jar, add some fresh dill, sprinkle some dill seed on top then pour your hot brine over top and process like normal)

Of course the easiest one was the Mrs. Wages mix (sassy me) and the next easiest was recipe #2. I have no idea how they will end up tasting because I just made them this week and I like to let them sit for at least 6 weeks before opening a jar.

It's opposite with me and my husband, I LOVE food and like what I call simplified gourmet (gourmet just country style) but he likes his food bland. Finally I came to a truce and I season lightly, take his food out then I "fix" it the way it is supposed to taste. If I just don't have time to fiddle with it then I just tell him that I know what I'm doing and if he isn't going to eat my food then what is he going to eat. He usually ends up eating what I make. It's going on 3 years and he is finally starting to change his taste! Best of luck to you and hope you find a recipe that you both can enjoy!!! :D

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pickles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page