Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Looking for ideas for upcoming road trip
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Looking for ideas for upcoming road trip Next Topic  

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  07:24:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi!

I'm planning to take a major road trip next month.
In early-to-mid Sept., I'll leave Maine and head to Central Illinois for a visit with my niece and her family.

I would love to hear of any great spots to visit along the way. I love all things woodwork, all things farm. If warm pie or hot oatmeal is involved, all the better.

Here's my tentative route:

On the way out (from Maine), I'll take a northern route (probably through NY state) and then stop to visit friends in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
From there I'll visit friends in my hometown, Rockford, Illinois. I'll go to Beloit, WI too. Then I'll head down to the Champaign/Urbana area to see my niece.

Then, in late Sept., I'll head east (from the Champaign/Urbana area) and attend a woodworkers' conference in Cincinnati.

After the conference, I'll make my way to Maryland and Delaware, to see more family.

On my list so far are:
Outbound:
Hancock Shaker Village (MA).

Homebound:
Winterthur (MD or DE).
Maybe Berea or Paint Lick (KY) or both.

Of course, I would be THRILLED to meet any farmgirl sisters along the way.

All ideas (and any warnings about bad stretches of highway) are much appreciated.

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  1:33:21 PM  Show Profile
As long as you're in central Illinois, you may want to check out the Amish country around Arthur/Arcola. There is a place called Rockome Gardens that has some pretty gardens and lots of Amish stuff, including an original three-story barn.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  4:13:05 PM  Show Profile
my grampa is buried outside of kalamazoo-i would love to drive down to meet you depending on when you are there and my work/school schedule....i'm about 125 (?) miles north....

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  5:18:41 PM  Show Profile
Karen,
If you are coming to Beloit, WI I would love to meet up with you. I know some neet things to see in the area and Beloit is only 15 miles from me! Let me know when you will be here.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I ask not for a larger garden, but for finer seeds.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  06:58:08 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much!
This is wonderful!

Hugs!
Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  07:18:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Karen--I'm just about 10 minutes south of Cincinnati! How long is the conference, where exactly? I work during the week, but I'd be happy to meet up afterwards for supper or something!! Email me, because there is a lot to do--I'd love to take you to Rabbit Hash if you've the time!
My suggestion isn't much on the historical tour, but when visiting my Aunt in Rockford and the surrounding area, we LOVED Blain's Farm and Fleet stores. http://www.farmandfleet.com/

I've never had such a good time in one spot. They have tons of farm wear, garden implements, shoes, toys, etc., mostly made in the USA, which is a rarity.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  08:01:56 AM  Show Profile
You'd BETTER stop by Paint Lick and visit! I can come to Don's shop and hang out!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  08:33:31 AM  Show Profile
Karen,
I can't wait to meet you and show you some of Southern Wisconsin!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  4:04:20 PM  Show Profile
Karen - If you're near Morris, IL (it is between Rockford and Champaign/Urbana)let me know and I'll treat you to lunch at Letty Mae's tearoom. The food is great, the tea amazing, and even though there is no oatmeal or warm pie, there's always homemade cake and muffins.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  08:01:27 AM  Show Profile

This is shaping up to be a fabulous Farmgirl roadtrip!

Woohoo!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Looking for ideas for upcoming road trip Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page