Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Pickled peppers-Why the salt brine?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pickled peppers-Why the salt brine? Next Topic  

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  12:30:14 PM  Show Profile
I am getting ready to pickle sweet Italian peppers for the first time. The ball book says to brine it in salt water 12 to 18 hours and then rinse and drain. Why do you have to do this step? Won't the salt make them mushy?
I have never canned pickles or peppers before just pickled beets and they don't have you brine them first. I don't want to mess these up and end up with soggy pickled peppers.

Has anyone here ever pickled the peppers before and did your recipe call for brining first? If not how did you do them and how did they turn out?

I have the peppers cut up and rinsed and sitting in the fridge. I will wait to see if anyone has any suggestions before trying to pickle them tomorrow. Thanks for any help you might have.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  2:10:27 PM  Show Profile
I don't brine mine first. I soak them in ice water for awhile and then pour the hot vinegar and stuff over them in the jars..no brining. I think they WOULD be soggy. Mine are pretty crisp.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  3:22:49 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Jenny for your response. Did you use the recipe from the Blue Ball book or one of your own? I would love to know what your recipe is. The one I see in the Ball book calls for ground horseradish. This does not sound good to me.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  4:42:29 PM  Show Profile
no horseradish in mine. I will look it up and post later tonight for ya. It isn't the blue book one.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  1:52:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jenny,

I will be checking back in a little while. I am almost done with the peaches and will be pulling the peppers out of the fridge to cut up smaller. Thanks so much for your time.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pickled peppers-Why the salt brine? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page