Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 A much needed outing: The Boone County Fair!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic A much needed outing: The Boone County Fair! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  07:19:01 AM  Show Profile
Taking Violet to the county fair tonight with my mom. With the horrible news of the week and our friends passing, and all that stress related, the weather is gorgeous and I am in much need of an outing and good old hometown fun.

Can't wait to see the quilts, the horse show tonight, the cow barn and pigs. I guess I'll ride a few rides with the girl (puke central for me!), and get homemade donuts from the Knights of Columbus booth--the best powdered sugar donuts EVER. Already debating on bbq pork from Eddies (a local bbq joint) or chicken and dumplings from the Baptist church booth...or heck, both! It's the fair for Heaven's sake!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  09:29:41 AM  Show Profile
I hope you had a great time! What was your favorite? I need to find out when my county fair is.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  09:34:46 AM  Show Profile
Haven't been yet, it's tonight! I will give you a rundown of what we ate, saw, did, etc...the quilts are always my favorite, and some of the samples of knitting and 4h crafts on display. Love the kids submissions!

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  09:37:21 AM  Show Profile
The Benton-Franklin County Fair is coming up in three weeks. It only lasts five days, but is usually the same-O, same-O. I wish they would change the way they exhibit things. My favorite guilty pleasure are the Elephant Ears (Fried dough covered in cinnamon). I always have to have at least one. Sometimes I bring one home. Looking forward to going this year.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  10:52:02 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, it's pretty much the same each year, but I guess that's what I count on, now and again, Betty. When I'm there, I think, "here's the aisle with all the free crapola" and "here's the political aisle" but as soon as I get the flyer in the mail every first of August, I'm all excited again, just like a kid. I think after this week, I'm looking for some predictability!

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  11:05:48 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I hope you had a good time! Post pictures? The food sounds sinful!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  06:14:43 AM  Show Profile
We had a blast! Such a gorgeous night, here, in Kentucky--I even brought a little wind breaker for Violet and she needed it! Since the fair is the "4H Utopia fair" it has a lot to do for kiddo's regarding animals, gardening, etc. I love that each food vendor has real garden fresh tomatoes, sliced for sandwiches, on their stands, pooled together and grown by 4H members. We visited all the art, sewing, quilting, fiber art, canning and agro exhibits, then to the animals. Violet loves horses, so she was especially excited by the dressage and Western youth shows. She kept saying, "Mahmee, Mahmee. Cannniseedahohseewightnow?", throwing her little hand out, making a grabbing motion :)

We ate ourselves silly (I had a country ham sandwich and my mom had green beans, potatoes and ham from Johnsons Country hams (they're from down the road in Union, Ky) and then we went to the Gethsemane Methodist Church pie and cake booth (they were already out of peach cobbler--peaches donated by McGlasson's farm down on the river) but I had my heart set on butterscotch, anyway :) So, a piece of butterscotch, a piece of coconut cream, two coffees and we were happy, full campers. Also some kettle corn and we shared a roasted corn on the cob. Violet ate her weight in fries and onion rings and shared each of our pies. We're serious about eating at the fair!!!!

The 4H barn for animals was awesome--really gorgeous steers this year--HUGE boys--much bigger than last year! The animals were loving the cool evening--it was so quiet in the barn because noone was agitated with the heat and they were all just sort of "snoozing".

Violet rode one kiddie ride (the other's were still a little big for her) but she had the best time--she laughed and laughed--it was a happy sight! I have a few pictures, but we were having so much fun just looking at everything, I didn't take nearly as many as I wanted. Guess that's the mark of a true good time!

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  1:26:00 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a great time! I'm drooling over your descriptions of the food. I haven't been to a fair in years, but it was always such a treat for us to see the animals (growing up as city kids).
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  5:53:44 PM  Show Profile
I STILL haven't gone to any fairs yet since moving to KY. Next year though I plan to, since Annabelle will be a year and a half and can enjoy it more. :) I love the tractor pulls and demolition derbies (I watched them on TV in the past, and went to demo derbies while I lived in CAlifornia)!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  9:26:39 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, sounds like a great fair! I'm salivating right now over all the food:)
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  3:13:54 PM  Show Profile
Jonni- Glad to hear that you had a good old fashioned time at the fair! Havent gotten to see your other posts, but I was sorry to read that you have been going thru a rough time. Farmgirl Hugs sent your way.
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic A much needed outing: The Boone County Fair! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page