farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  6:16:39 PM  Show Profile
Just heard from a family member who always lets their dog "run" around the neighborhood, that they finally had a neighbor call on them. Said the dog is always relieving itself in their yard and they want it to stop. (Makes sense to me.) The family member calls me and said "Why are they getting so crabby? The dog just likes to visit their dog." Um...seriously? These people live right in town where the houses are stacked on top of one another. This dog is like 11 years old, hardly moves, and only wanders because he's not "tied up" or otherwise made to stay on his property. I think if he actually ran, he'd probably keel over. So anyhow - instead of just tying the dog up and dealing with it that way, this family member actually seriously suggested it would be easier to just "put the dog down" than have to deal with the neighbor anymore. Um....really? Because it would be so hard to keep the dog in his plenty big kennel or whatever it is you used to do with him when he was younger? He doesn't bark, he doesn't do anything. He's so mellow. I don't get it! I don't get the letting him wander just because he's "old". I get the neighbors point and we have told these family members not to let him just wander. I totally feel for the neighbors. He shouldn't be wandering. But put him down because its just too hard to deal with him? Seriously. Drives me absolutely nuts. Gosh, its hard to be a responsible pet owner, isn't it? Sounds to me like they were just looking for an excuse to be done with the dog.

Fortunately someone else heard about this and decided that was INSANE and came to take the dog to their house out in the country where he has more room to roam if that's what he needs to do.

I swear to goodness, irresponsibility is an absolute epidemic!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  7:35:44 PM  Show Profile
Personal responsibilty is no longer PC
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  7:38:47 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, I should steal that quote and tattoo it on my forehead.

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  7:41:54 PM  Show Profile
You have my permission
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  8:32:45 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, so true! It's always someone else's fault, right?
Amy, that'd be an awesome tattoo!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  8:39:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh that makes me so sad for that old dog- but I am glad he is going to have a home where he can just be himself. I don't understand letting your dog roam. They could get hit by a car, or stolen, or just make people angry. :(

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  8:58:16 PM  Show Profile
Well, these family members are from that whole "dogs get mean if they are tied up" mentality that was mentioned recently on MJF in a different post. I told them I'm from the "neighbors get crabby if your dogs aren't tied up (and rightfully so!)" school of thought. They rolled their eyes. Oh well. I wonder what they would think of a tattoo on my forehead? ;)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  01:58:19 AM  Show Profile
WOW well it's not like you HAVE to tie a dog up to keep them in your yard. lol We rarely tied ours up. And now that we live out in the country we never do. They have kennels-dog runs, what ever you call them. Fenced in, they have dog houses in there, and also dad has cut them holes in the garage for them to come and go into a part of the garage that is also some how gated so they can't get out of that area of the garage either. Dad takes them out once a day at least (if not more) for runs around the property (they stay on the property!). When we lived in the city, dad would put them on leashes and take them for walks through the neighborhood, again at least daily. The rest of the time they stayed in their plenty large dog runs. Never had to be tied up, but did take the effort, time and money to make them properly fenced in areas, and to TAKE them on a walk!

The other thing is, another dog could be not as nice as Mr. Old Dog and rip Mr. Old dog to shreds if other dog too was not on a leash! How sad would that be!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  10:23:20 AM  Show Profile
Our back yard is fenced, and most of our dogs can't get out, but we take precautions with the ones that can. My dalmation mix can and does hurdle the fence at it's highest point (she chooses to launch over THE GATE)so she's only allowed out when she's leashed or goes on her cable.
We have one runner line set up (doesn't get used often) and another cable I move around so the dog doesn't get bored with one spot. In the spring I had her staked out next to the grape vines so the birds didn't steal all the grapes this time, and she enjoyed watching the road too and guarding the house from the front. Lately I'm putting her out near my duck pen to scare away anything that might want to predate the birds while they're small.
(Sugar)
My pyr/aussie shep will only jump the fence if there is another dog outside who will go with her, or if there is something on the other side of the fence she needs to woof away (like a neighbor's dog.) Sometimes if she's bored she will hop out to patrol the front yard before sitting at the front door to be let in. She get scolded for that since she survived being hit by a car last year when she went on walkabout. Molly is good with other animals and guards the ducks when they're free ranging in the back yard. <3 her. (Molly)
My ideal improvement would be some invisible dog fence around the front yard and my back yard fence line so they didn't go off property at all.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  2:47:55 PM  Show Profile
Yeah I like the invisible fence idea too. I want to get it when we get our own home. However, would still need a regular fence as well, cause of well, other neighbors again who aren't as responsible the invisible fence wouldn't keep them out! And only ours in. UHG

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  08:26:40 AM  Show Profile
I have a neighbor who is like that with her many cats-the moment most of them start requiring extra care for whatever reason,off they go to the vet to be put to sleep. There is one that she must really love,because the cat is very very old and she has taken it to the vet many times & keeps it in the house. I can't believe anyone would entertain that solution just because the pet is needing a little more attention or care,usually because they're now seniors as far as cats & dogs go.

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

http://www.fiddlebelle.com

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin,dulcimer playin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic because its easier?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page