walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  05:21:43 AM  Show Profile
Okay. So, every morning I eat TWO envelopes of apple & cinnamon oatmeal.

I never, ever feel satisfied with just two. I thought oatmeal filled you up-and I still feel hungry after my two envelopes! How much oatmeal do you eat?

(Disclaimer: I JUST started eating oatmeal a month ago. I always thought I hated it. I'm easing GENTLY into it, so I'm doing the apple stuff. I've tried all the other flavors and that's the only one I really like. I'm eating it to boost my breastmilk production. LOL)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  05:33:45 AM  Show Profile
I eat about 1 cup. We roll our oats from the groats and so it is chewier and has more body than regular oatmeal. I never liked it either, but now that we are rolling our own, I love it. Or maybe I'm just getting old and that's what old people eat. :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  05:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Try ordering the Hot 'n' Creamy cereal from MJF- I always order it in bulk for once the weather gets a bit cooler. It is very heart and has flax seed and such in it. It is slightly sweet but not overly so. But the nice thing is- it is more filling and sustains you longer when compared to just regular oatmeal. I usually eat about 3/4 of a cup to a whole cup. Nora usually eats about 3/4 of a cup as well.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  06:53:42 AM  Show Profile
I usually do one packet with a scoop of regular oats. That way it's not too sweet and it cuts down on the cost. I guess it ends up being about a cup altogether.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  08:22:16 AM  Show Profile
I use the steel cut oats that sit overnight and cook in the morning. They fill you and last all morning. Can also put nuts or dried fruit or fresh fruit in them and can sweeten to taste.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Mini
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cheryl
Kentucky
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  09:11:27 AM  Show Profile
Ingrid, how do you cook them? The instant packets don't do anything for me, they actually make me sick. (sorry, nothing against anybody that likes them, there's just something they add in that makes me sick to my stomach).

Do you cook them overnight in a crockpot?

Mini
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13635 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13635 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  09:28:31 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I use 1/2 cup regular old-fashioned oats, cook with part water/part soy milk, with cinnamon and frozen blueberries. Works for me!
Sometimes I use raisins instead of blueberries. And sometimes I stir in about 1 tblsp crunchy peanut butter.

Instant?? Can't tolerate that.
Steel cut with raisins and such done in crock pot . . . LOVE this, especially in winter!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mini
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cheryl
Kentucky
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  10:03:32 AM  Show Profile
CJ, what's the difference between the regular and steel cut? I admit, the gloppiness is one thing that turns me off of eating a lot of oatmeal. That may be because the only oatmeal I have ever eaten is the instant stuff.

Mini
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13635 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13635 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  10:14:53 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Regular old-fashioned are flat, flake looking, however with much more substance than instant.
Steel cut still look like oat grains, but have been cut. They can also be called "Irish Style" steel cut. I can't get them just anywhere. They take much, much longer to cook, but are very much worth it and very substantial.
If you've only eaten instant . . I recommend switching to "regular, old-fashioned" at the very least. That is what the container says, be sure to look for that on the box . . they are different from "Quick" oats too, which probably are right next to "regular, old-fashioned" on the shelf.
I refuse to eat instant! And refuse to eat "quick" unless I am DESPERATE!
Hope that helps.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  2:38:25 PM  Show Profile
I agree with others that home-cooked either old fashioned or steel cut are so much more filling than the instant. You can add your own fruits and sweeteners. I like oatmeal with sliced banana, walnuts, a little cinnamon and brown sugar or honey.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  3:58:24 PM  Show Profile
i usually have the irish oatmeal with a little brown sugar, some blackberries and raspberries, almonds (just a bit), sometimes I throw bananas in the mix. Sometimes I take out the brown sugar and use a touch of maple syrup my parents send me from Maine. It keeps me filled for most of the day.

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  6:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I have finally converted my husband to oatmeal instead of his Kashi cereal. (Nothing against Kashi, but oatmeal is much cheaper and more filling.) I'm a fan of steel cut, but he prefers the old-fashioned oats. He's added peaches, maple syrup, and dried apricots (not all together.) I like to add a spoonfull of peanutbutter. To me, it makes them taste like no-bake cookies (sans chocolate) and the extra protein seems to hold me longer. Either way it goes, it's great for breakfast...and I've been eating it for supper on the days I've had a larger lunch and need something, but not a huge meal. Oatmeal...it's for anytime!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  7:49:51 PM  Show Profile
Steel cut oats or Irish oats are also called pin head oats, and I get them in bulk at my local health food store for way cheaper that the McCann's Irish oats.
I am usually in a hurry in the morning so I start the oatmeal the night before. I boil 4 Cups of water and add 1 Cup of oats. I stir while it foams up, and then remove the pan from the heat and put the lid on it. Leave it till morning. This makes 3-4 modest servings which I keep in the fridge for later in the week. When I want to eat it, I warm it up and add milk, dark brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins, and walnuts, and I think it tastes a lot better with a pinch of salt. I agree that adding some protein, like walnuts will increase it's staying power.

my blog: http://bushelnpeck.blogspot.com

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Oatmeal Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page