Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Fall Garden Crops & Garden Pictures
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Fall Garden Crops & Garden Pictures Next Topic  

AutumnSpices
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Andrea
Blaine Tennessee
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  10:54:49 AM  Show Profile
I've never really planted a fall garden and would love to give it a try. I've enjoyed my garden so much this year, I'm not quite ready to say good-bye. In our garden, a series of raised beds, I'm pushed for space, and it's approaching mid-August so I'm running out of time for Fall crop planting.
What fall crops have worked well for you?
I can't wait to hear of everyone's suggestions!
I'd love to see pictures of everyone's gardens!
It's a great way to learn and be inspired.

Thanks!
Andrea

Edited by - AutumnSpices on Aug 19 2011 5:06:58 PM

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  7:37:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi Andrea! I live on Long Island,NY and am in the process of planning my fall garden. I agree- about not wanting to give up the garden just because summer is swinging down. I plan to plant Broccoli, sugar snap peas, beets, more lettuce,and some carrots too. I'm sure I may add to the list- jut have to find more room since i too have raised bed gardens! Hubby is going to build me about 3 more this fall for next Spring. The August/Sept issue of Mother Earth News has a good article about fall gardens and there is even a garden planner with a free 30 day trial on their website that people are raving about.
Good LUCK!
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  10:39:37 PM  Show Profile
I would like to try this, but my summer garden was a flop. I'd at least like to have some fall lettuce or peas. Is it too early to put a fall lettuce crop in?
Go to Top of Page

AutumnSpices
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Andrea
Blaine Tennessee
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  05:48:13 AM  Show Profile
Where are you located Amy? The temperatures are still in the 90's here so I may wait a week or two before putting the lettuce seeds in the ground.

Thanks for the info on the Mother Earth News Issue Laurie! I'll be sure and pick me up one. I have several gardening books here at the house but was surprised that very little, if any, was devoted to Fall crop planting. Can't wait to give it a try. We still have plenty of orka, tomatoes, and cumcumbers coming in and with this heat I'm sure they'll keep producing.
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  10:50:25 AM  Show Profile
Greens grow really well in a fall garden. Mustards, collards, Turnips, Kale ect. I usually grow Mustards and Turnips. I also do a salad garden. Lettuce , carrots, green onions, Tomatos, Winter squash, Pole beans, radish, Swiss Chard, English Peas, Beets, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, celery. You should be able to grow all of these veggies in your fall garden in your zone.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5261 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5261 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  7:44:41 PM  Show Profile
In tennessee, a lot of gardensers plant turnip greens. They love the cooler air and sometmes, it doesn't frost till after Thanksgiving!
quote:
Originally posted by AutumnSpices

I've never really planted a fall garden and would love to give it a try. I've enjoyed my garden so much this year,I'm not quite ready to say good-bye. In our garden, a series of raised beds, I'm pushed for space, and it's approaching mid-August so I'm running out of time for Fall crop planting. We're located in East Tennessee around Knoxville.
What fall crops have worked well for you?
What hasn't?
I can't wait to hear of everyone's suggestions!

Thanks!
Andrea

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5261 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5261 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  7:46:41 PM  Show Profile
Sorry about all the typos! I am new and still trying to learn how to reply and join the swaps!
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  8:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
I'm in Phoenix now, so a "fall garden" here is a little different here because of our summer heat. When I lived in Colorado I always planted spinach, carrots, peas, radishes etc. in the fall. Some times I would get a fall crop, sometimes I didn't, but I always enjoyed the time in the garden. I find it satisfying to try to stretch the garden season as much as possible. One winter in Colorado I had one flower or another in bloom through all the months of the year...but that was a very mild winter and another story all together. Good luck Andrea, and let us know how it turns out.

Pam Barnes-Palty
Phoenix, AZ
Farmgirl #1075

Be distracted by joy
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  8:39:01 PM  Show Profile
Anyone know where I can find seeds right now? Do any stores still sell them, or do I have to do mail order?
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  04:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
i usally plant

cucumbers
squash
beets
carrots
radishes
cabbage
broccoli
potatoes

but this year we are in a sever drought so no fall garden for me, we got notice that we are in a water restriction also so cant water garden daily like needed.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  05:48:50 AM  Show Profile
Saw some pictures of the Texas drought. I feel so sorry for you guys. I keep praying for rain for you guys.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  7:57:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AutumnSpices

Where are you located Amy? The temperatures are still in the 90's here so I may wait a week or two before putting the lettuce seeds in the ground.

Andrea,
I'm in Wisconsin, we generally have a frost here about late October, early November.
Is it too late to plant lettuce /spinach and maybe some radish?

Also, where to find seeds? they are all sold out in stores that I have looked at.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  07:09:32 AM  Show Profile
I have GOT to have collard and turnip greens. And spinach and cabbage. And I want to plant some more beets and squash and zuchinni too. Mine did not do too well this year.

kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

AutumnSpices
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Andrea
Blaine Tennessee
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  4:58:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to everyone for all the input! Everyone seemed to be along the same line as to what they plant/are planting for fall crops. I think I'm going to try and get some onions, lettuce, some greens, radishes, carrots, and peas in the ground. We still have plenty of cucumbers and tomatoes coming in .... though none of my peppers, both sweet and hot, did well at all this year. I planted my okra late and they're just now blooming. My husband doesn't think I'll get much production as okra love the heat and it's already starting to cool down into the low 70's at night. I'll let everyone know how the fall crops are going.
Brandee, So sorry to hear you're getting hit so hard by the drought. I have friends around Dallas/Fort Worth and their lawns, etc... are like dry brown straw. TN has had our rain plus Texas' this year. A lot of flooding and too much of our share of tornados, high winds, and mud.
Amy, Try GurneySeeds.com or Renee's Gardening & Seeds. I'll look up the e-address for Renee's. I really love her stuff. They're also on facebook.
Thanks to everyone!
Andrea

Edited by - AutumnSpices on Aug 19 2011 5:03:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

AutumnSpices
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Andrea
Blaine Tennessee
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  5:01:34 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any pictures to post of their gardens??
I'd love to see them! Sure everyone else would too. It's great way
to share ideas.
Andrea
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  04:17:19 AM  Show Profile
I harvested my first batches of green beans and cauliflower. I pulled the plants and replanted. I planted more green beans, carrots, 3 kinds of lettuce and some spinach. I am harvesting lots of tomatoes right now and cannin my fool head off. I think I will plant some more broccolli today. I am still finding seeds in my local garden store and co-op. They even carry Seed Savers Seeds! I will post photos later of my late summer garden. Here are some pictures of early spring and mid summer.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Fall Garden Crops & Garden Pictures Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page