caitlinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Kim
St.A Idaho
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  8:22:02 PM  Show Profile
I have never had currant jam or jelly but now that I have 3 huge bushes I will the chance to try it! There seems to be mixed info out there in recipe land. Some recipes say to make a jelly because the seeds are unsavory in a jam others say the seeds aren't bad so don't go through the trouble of jelly making.

Which is accurate? I know this will be based largly on personal preference but I still want your opinion. Are the seeds that bad in jam? Do they become bitter with processing? Which berry has the best overall flavor when combined with currants, raspberries or strawberries?

Thanks!

www.imnaturallysimple.com
"Live slowly and simply, so that you have the time and space to love deeply and well. Hold your children close, as often as possible. Look deeply into their eyes, speak words of life, love and acceptance into and over them."

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  8:25:44 PM  Show Profile
I made mine without seeds, it was easy jelly to make, and very tasty. I have to say it was the most popular jelly I gave away last year. I made black currant, and then a mixed currant. Juicing it wasn't so bad, I just set it up to drain overnight, and made jelly the next day.

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Your life is an occasion, rise to it. Mr. Magorium
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  10:59:39 AM  Show Profile
I don't get a lot of currants at one time, so I freeze them after I pick them and make juice when I have a bunch for jelly. If you freeze them first, the juice is easy to get. i made a currant/apple jelly last year and this year i made a currant/raspberry jelly, which was really good! (obviously, my currant bushes are still small so i don't have a lot, that is why I maked mixed jellies). I think the seeds are too big for jam.

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

caitlinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Kim
St.A Idaho
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  11:39:07 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies. Last night I juiced up a bunch so I will give it a try today with jelly. I like the idea of freezing them first, I bet that makes it nice and easy to get the juice, plus I can save them for later when I am not swamped with other produce to deal with.

www.imnaturallysimple.com
"Live slowly and simply, so that you have the time and space to love deeply and well. Hold your children close, as often as possible. Look deeply into their eyes, speak words of life, love and acceptance into and over them."
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Currant jam or jelly? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page