HorseLady
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Rose
Irwin PA
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  2:49:14 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a bread recipe that makes ONE loaf? I used to have one but lost it. I want to start making just a simple white bread but don't want to make 2 loaves and trying to halve a recipe just doesn't seem quite right. Thanks

Hug a horse or a dog today!

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  3:44:53 PM  Show Profile
Hey Rose :)

This recipe makes a nice firm loaf but you can add a beaten egg to make it fluffier.
Here is one that I use for a 9x5 loaf:

Amish White Bread

Ingredients:

1 cup warm water 1/3 cup white sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 cups bread flour

Directions:

1. In large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam. (This takes about 10 to 15 minutes in my kitchen)

2.Mix in 1 cup of flour, salt and oil. Mix in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time. Stir until it pulls together, then knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in an oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk. (about an hour in my kitchen)

3.Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes and shape into a loaf. Place in a well oiled 9 by 5 loaf pan. Allow to rise for 30 minutes OR until dough has risen 1 inch above top of pan.

4.Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

** For bread machine, first add liquid, sugar, oil and salt. Then add flour and yeast.

For a fluffier bread, add one beaten egg

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jodygirl27
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Jody
Melbourne FL
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  08:46:28 AM  Show Profile

Hi Rose,

Scottish Buttermilk Bread
2 Cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp butter, room temp
3/4 cup buttermilk, room temp

Baking sheet: Teflon or sprinkled with cornmeal or flour
Preheat: oven 375
Measure the flour into a medium bowl and add baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and sugar. With your fingers work the butter into the flour until in resembles small peas. Slowly add the buttermilk. If the dough is too moist to handle without sticking, dust with additional flour. There is no kneading, only mixing to thouroughly blend the ingredients.
Shaping: Pat into a round loaf about 8" across and flatten slightly. With a sharp knife, cut an X about 1/2" deep in the top. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
Baking: Place on the middle shelf of hot oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the loaf is a lovely golden brown. To test for doneness, turn the loaf on its side and tap the bottom crust with a finger. If it has a hard, hollow sound its done.
Final step: Cool on rack before cutting
(recipe from Bernard Clayton's New Complete book of Breads)
Enjoy, Jody
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  5:26:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rose, I have a recipe at my blog that makes one loaf and is great for a sandwich bread. You can find it at http://www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog/?p=608 and you can adjust it to all purpose flour or whole wheat or half and half.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

mountaingirl
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Jennifer
Conifer CO
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  06:32:58 AM  Show Profile
Mary Beth, I tried your bread recipe yesterday. Oh my goodness!!! What a hit it was with my kids. I made it into hamburger buns and a very small loaf. My little one was so carried away by the taste she took pictures and posted about it on her Facebook page. I think she only ate bread yesterday!
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  07:34:40 AM  Show Profile
Mary Beth, can't wait to try your bread, but one question, what is bread enhancer?

Farmgirl Sister #2667
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  1:23:21 PM  Show Profile
I adapted this recipe from a monastery whole wheat bread that made way too much for me.

Monastery Whole Wheat Bread

1/4 c honey
1 T molasses
1 c boiling water
1/3 c cold water
1 pkg of yeast * =2 1/4 t
1T oil
3 1/3 c whole wheat flour
1/3 t salt

Place honey and molasses in a large bowl. Stir in hot water then add the cold water. When liquid is luke warm sprinkle yeast evenly over mixture to activate. Add oil and gradually stir in flour and salt.

Knead on a well floured bread board until the mixture is even. Place in a greased bowl and cover with a damp towel. Set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.

Punch down and knead. Let rise again for 45 minutes. Knead, shape and place into a well greased loaf pan. Let rise for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees bake for 30 min.

my blog: http://bushelnpeck.blogspot.com

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  8:01:50 PM  Show Profile
Sharon,

your white bread recipe looks good! I'm always on the lookout for single loaf recipes!

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Your life is an occasion, rise to it. Mr. Magorium
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  8:18:20 PM  Show Profile
Sorry that I missed your ladies' comments! For some reason, I wasn't getting any notifications of your posts and so I just thought nobody was posting!! I finally got curious as to why it was so quiet. Oh well.

Jennifer, I am so thrilled that you liked the bread and that your children were so happy with it! :-) Making them satisfied is what it's all about, heh??

Kim, dough enhancer is simply Lecithin and it's purpose is to keep the texture of the bread even - you know - no big air holes, no pockets, etc. You do not have to use it. It just makes a prettier loaf that's all. Hope I caught you in time!!

Thanks you all for trying it!!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need bread recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page