Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 How long did you breastfeed for?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic How long did you breastfeed for? Next Topic
Page: of 2

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  1:37:48 PM  Show Profile
My baby is 6 months old. Doc says she can start cereal and foods anytime-I just don't emotionally feel "ready" to cut down on breastfeeding! I just would like to know how long you breastfed for and if you wish you would've gone longer.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  1:43:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm probably not the norm in that I stopped breast feeding at 6 weeks. I went back to work and my office environment wasn't condusive to pumping. I wasn't producing that much, really, either, and she sometimes was unsatisfied, so we went on to cereal and organic formulas and organic yogurt. Based on "who" she is now at 2.5, I can't say my decision hurt her any :)

You do what's right for you--I did miss the "closeness" but then, my wee one has never been much of a snuggler, either. My friend nurses her babies until they have teeth and can speak and eat hamburger. No joke.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  1:55:50 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, the reason why my doc told me that it was OK to start her was her biting. I can't get her to stop. I've tried just taking the boob away when she bites, yelping in pain (That happens naturally), and nothing is helping. My doc said to "flick" her on the cheek when she does it, and I'm not comfortable with that.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  2:51:16 PM  Show Profile
I nursed for a little over a year. I luckily had a doctor I really liked, but my daycare was the one pushing feeding her on me. They made me feel like I was depriving her, which if you saw her now would know she certainly was never deprived! I wish I would have been able to nurse longer, but she self-weaned which was in the end so much easier than having to try to do it. She just decided she was done one day and that was it.

You will know best when both she and you are ready!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  3:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nora self weaned at 10 months. I did start feeding her soft foods at about 6 months because she would get so hungry between nursing sessions that I knew I wasn't satisfying her. At the same time my milk production was at it's peak and we were supplimenting from my frozen stash of pumped milk. She liked the food but still nursed every two hours or so. When she was 10 months old she just couldn't stand to hold still long enough and we started supplementing with cow and goats milk. She loved both and I even have a video on you tube of her laughing while she was eating cabbage and hamburger soup.

I think it depends on what works best for your family and your baby. But just because some food is introduced doesn't mean that your baby won't still want you.

I sympathize with you on the biting part! Ouch!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  4:46:39 PM  Show Profile
Weaning starts when you give them their first foods.

Foods other then breastmilk are not needed till 12 months old. So don't let others pressure you into something you do not want.

I highly highly suggest finding your local LLL group. They will help you with the biting. I must say most drs aren't very helpful when it comes to breastfeeding. They usually aren't very educated on such.......they don't know as much as we sometimes give them credit for.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  4:52:18 PM  Show Profile
oh and a BTW, children NEED breastmilk for at least 12 months. Solids will NOT give them all the nutrition they need. Solids before 12 months are only for practice. You are NOT to replace breastfeeding/formula for solids when it comes to nutrition. As the saying goes food is fun till you're one. Meaning it's just to play with basically till 1. Otherwise it is not to provide actual nutrition. They NEED the calories and fat of breastmilk. It's very high calorie and high in fat, compared to any solids out there.

Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  6:56:43 PM  Show Profile
It was different with all my girls. My oldest stopped breastfeeding at around 18 months, my second was 22 months, my third was right after she turned 2 and I am still nursing my 4th (who just turned 1). They all self-weaned and just stopped wanting it one day. I've offered each of them "solids" starting around 6-7 months - some liked it right away and wanted more, some didn't and I tried to take my cues with how to proceed with it from them. Not one of my girls seemed to want to breastfeed any less after they really became interested in solids, even though I had been told they would.

All of my daughters were also biters - the best thing I could do was try not to react at all and gut it out because they all stopped doing it pretty quickly.

But, what it comes down to is that you have to do what works best best for you as a family and listen to your heart. And giving your baby solids will not necessarily make your baby uninterested in breastfeeding - as I said, it never did with mine!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  7:20:42 PM  Show Profile
I mean, I am not going to wean her yet. I wasn't thinking of weaning her. I'm just not emotionally ready to give her food!!! Even as a "fun" thing, I don't think. I mean, I guess it's the whole "Depriving" thing. I'm sorta treated like "Oh my, you're not feeding her foods yet?!" by a few people and my answer is always "Breast is best!" and I get the "wow." and the crazy looks. I'm going to a "Big Latch On" tomorrow and I'm excited to take part in setting another world record with my daughter! (The first was having her do the Great Cloth Diaper Change)

I didn't want to turn this thread into a contest or anything, I was just kinda putting my feelers out to see if anyone else had experienced the emotions of NOT WANTING to quit breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is hard work! It's a commitment, and for many moms (Myself included) a large time/money investment! (Pump, vitamins, storage bags)

Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  7:33:21 PM  Show Profile
I totally understand! I blubbered like a baby when Rosemary self-weaned, my husband had no idea what was wrong with me...LOL!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  8:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Megan- I understand completely too! I was emotionally devasted when Nora decided to self-wean. I think that if she isn't snatching food off your plate and cramming it into her mouth a la Cookie Monster style then she is content with the status quo. You know her and your own needs best. I don't think there is any deprivation if you don't give her solids yet. It's not like she will be on breastmilk for the rest of her life so she will still have those "first experiences" with food whether it be now or in 6 months.

My doctor always counseled me to go with my gut. If I thought she needed to be seen then I took her in, etc etc. He said that I would know well before anyone else if there was something that needed to change. *hugs* The Latch On sounds like fun!! How exciting! :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  10:47:36 PM  Show Profile
Personally when people would ask me about things like that, you can feel them out of what their reaction will be. I have had to do this with a few things. For instance my husband and I have been married for 10 years now. However, till the last couple of years, it was very unusual for people to marry people they met online, and we always have gotten the how did you meet question-especially cause I'm from Kansas, and he from NYC. A lot of people would FREAK out when we said we met online. We found it best, and still do sometimes, to just avoid the question. It's really none of any one's business any way. And yes I know that true friends won't judge you, yadda, yadda, yadda, but at the same time some days I just don't feel like dealing with the judgement, so I just avoid the question and change the subject all excited like. Like WOW those are some beautiful earrings! WOW look over there at that giant buffalo! lol haha Get what I mean. I figure I don't need to tell them every thing! Same with drs if I think they will be judgemental and it has nothing to do with medical things.....avoidance works best for me! lol haha

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  03:49:43 AM  Show Profile
Heather, that is SO funny! My husband and I met online too, and we deal with the same thing! To this day, especially older generations, will flip out about us meeting online. Too funny!

I'm so glad I'm not alone. :) I mean, searching the internet reading stuff about other people is fine, but hearing it from you all just like counts more. :)

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  03:50:18 AM  Show Profile
and for the "when are you going to start giving them real food" type questions, . . .you ARE giving them "REAL" food :) they're not growing so fast and so good on air! That was the question that always boggled my mind when people would ask it.

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

buggysmum
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Shelly

110 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  06:19:46 AM  Show Profile
It always amazes me how forward people are with their opinions, judgements, and that includes their ignorance. Why do people say such things????? Heather, you are very wise...avoiding the questions and changng the subject are great tactics.
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  07:42:28 AM  Show Profile
All three of mine self weaned between ten months and a year. They all started to get food at about six months. My son was the shortest time frame but he was also a large baby and walked early and got teeth at two months. By nine - ten months he was chewing food and constantly hungry. He is now twelve and is still constantly hungry but he has always been a steady grower and is now 5'8" and still growing. As for the biting, I can relate, and all I did was just take them off for a couple minutes and then let them nurse again. Took a few tries but it seemed to work. Just go with your instincts and don't let other people's opinion get to you.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  2:14:06 PM  Show Profile
Good point Sheila!

Also I believe there is a whole page of come backs in the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding book as well.

Too funny that you met online as well Megan! :o)

And yup Buggys sometimes people are just nosy or just are looking for something to judge you on, I don't figure those types need every detail of my life. They are usually just casual acquaintances any way, usually not my good/close friends.

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  08:39:11 AM  Show Profile
After reading the newest edition of the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding I'm going to shoot for about 2 years. Give or take whatever feels good to baby and me :) I'm so glad someone on this forum told me about that book, it was sooo amazing! I think it was Heather but I can't remember. Anyhow I wish I had that book when I had my first! I think nursing would have went 110% different than what it did if I could have read it. Oh well, can't look back only ahead and I know I can do it this time :) My cousin nursed her baby exclusively until he could reach and grab food off her plate then she feed him (gave him his own food to feed himself) and supplemented with breastmilk until a year old now she is still supplementing his diet with breastmilk in addition to some water and of course baby feeding himself and she told me she wants to do that until age 3. I guess do what feels best to do you and baby :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  11:49:32 AM  Show Profile
Both my boys went around 5 months and wanted more real food, the boys just seemed to still be hungry. I still like in the movie Grown Ups, one little boy was still breast feeding and when asked how old he was his father said 48 months, one of the other guys said "Wait isn't that 4 yeats old". It was hilarious.

God bless,

Judy

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  3:31:10 PM  Show Profile
I wish I had the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding for DD1 as well! Ah well glad I had it for DD2.

Actually 4 is the world wide average. It only seems taboo in the industrialized countries where we have been pounded in for some decades that man made is better. (formula). I kind of cringed at that part of that movie, as really they were making fun of her, and it shouldn't really be any one else's business. It's sad that human milk for human children is taboo in the USA where as no one blinks a eye about cow milk for humans........which in really thinking about it seems a lot more weird! lol I know many who went to 3 and 4 and even 5 years old. I think a lot of it's normalization depends on the crowd you hang around, that and it doesn't bother me at all what others think about it! lol haha

Go to Top of Page

WoodstreamDreambyNicole
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Nicole
Marlton NJ
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  4:02:03 PM  Show Profile
I nursed my first for 2 years 2.5 months (stopped to start fertility treatments to conceive #2). My 2nd I nursed for 2 years 1.5 months (medically needed to stop to have radioactive dye tests for health concerns a year ago). With both boys they were "ready" - after 18 months were only nursing to go to bed at night and occasionally when ill or for a nap.

I introduced a sippy cup of water before I introduced cereal. That was around 5 months with both because they were both early sitters & showed interst. Most of the baby's nutrition will come from breastmilk, you won't cut feedings out for quite sometime. Babies need increased fluid intake when you start cereal & food to help their bodies digest. Once they had the hang of sucking out of a sippy cup, I introduced cereal mixed with pumped milk. I made 90% of my own baby food for both boys, it's really easy to steam in the pressure cooker and put in the food processor and then into ice cube trays.

I recommend the book Super Baby Food - she's what some would call radical, but it was very informative and of course, you take what you need and leave the rest! You'll learn to live by that with most advice you're given.

Nicole
Shop
www.woodstreamdream.etsy.com
Custom Creations
www.woodstreamdream.blogspot.com

Edited by - WoodstreamDreambyNicole on Aug 11 2011 4:03:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  4:05:10 PM  Show Profile
Of all seven kids, I nursed 4 of them for 24 to 26 months. The others; 6, 7, 12 months and completely regretted it.
They are 16 to 30 years old and we now have 7 grandchildren, 6 breastfeed. And the one who wasn't has lots of colds, and other illnesses.
Womanly Art is the bible and has been for decades now.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, Herbalist, Master Energy Intuitive

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  5:49:51 PM  Show Profile
I breastfed exclusively for 6 months then started adding in food very cautiously (lots of digestive issues in my family). Both my babies weaned themselves at a year. I was willing to nurse longer but they wanted nothing to do with it. So glad I did.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  8:23:01 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, please take this with care, and not judgement, but you may not of needed to stop for dye testing, I was told the same and pumped and dumped during that time, then come to find out Dr. Hale says you don't have to. He's been doing breast milk for years. He takes samples of breast milk after many medications and medical treatments and test for changes, etc, come to find out no need to stop breastfeeding for the radio active dye test, at least not for the ones I had. His book list just about every thing, so if you have another child and have some medical problems where "doctors" tell you to stop (I think it's just a blanket statement they say with every thing, cause they do not know!) check his book first! That's what I have learned! I was so mad about my pumping and dumping, I can't begin to tell you! I can tell you though there is VERY VERY few medications and/or medical treatments that have any signifigant effect on breast milk.

Go to Top of Page

WoodstreamDreambyNicole
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Nicole
Marlton NJ
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  05:50:15 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I know I didn't need to stop completely. I could have pumped and dumped for 3 days after the tests, but we were very close to the end when I found out that I would need the testing. I timed the testing for after my husband came home from an extended business trip so that he could start taking over the bedtime routine with our younger son. I was very sad with both boys stopping, but I think that stoping and starting at that late in the process would have been confusing for my little one. He did fine and didn't ask to nurse, so I know that it was fine. It was harder with my older son because it was more of a decision to stop nursing so we could try for another baby v.s. a medical need for me and I didn't know how many tests I would have needed. In the end, I'm very glad to have been able to nurse for as long as I did both of my boys. I don't take any offense for what you said, I was completely informed, but being so near the end of nursing it was right to end when I did with my younger one.

Nicole
Shop
www.woodstreamdream.etsy.com
Custom Creations
www.woodstreamdream.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  10:29:43 AM  Show Profile
I am not saying you didn't do the right thing for you, but I think you may of misread what I said, you may not of even needed to of pumped and dumped is what I was saying. After I pumped and dumped for three days I found out I didn't need to do that after all! I didn't need to stop giving her my milk at all! She could of kept on nursing right through that that that radiioactive dye had very little to no effect at all on breastmilk is what I was trying to say. I was mad that the medical professionals told me I had to pump and dump when I didn't have to! I could of just went on and gave her the milk! I have learned that VERY few medical treatments and medication actually have any effect on mom's milk at all.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic How long did you breastfeed for? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page