Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic canning green peppers Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  2:39:48 PM  Show Profile
This will be my first attempt at canning up some green peppers. We use a lot of them throughout the year. You know the ones - little diced green chili cans. Hubby loves them, so ...

We have about 6 varieties of peppers in the garden. The first ready are Fooled You, a mild pepper that looks like a jalapeno. One pound of peppers gave me 7 1/4pint jars. That's seven less cans to buy. The fun part will be deciding which we like and which I don't have to bother with again. So record keeping is going to be key.

Has anyone else canned chilis/peppers?

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  2:42:58 PM  Show Profile
I do it every year...we use LOTS of them through the winter. Yum! I grew Fooled you peppers last year as well..they were good! Forgot to plant those this year! I use alot of Anaheim peppers this way..and some big berthas too.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  07:22:35 AM  Show Profile
We are going to have a bumper crop of peppers this year so I will finally get to do this! We also grew 6 varieties although the majority of the 150 plants are King of the North green bells. I just picked the first pepper the other day so I am figuring another 2 weeks and I will start the canning!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  10:43:06 AM  Show Profile
I have never seen Fooled You peppers. Where did you find them? I am alwasys looking for something neww and would love to try them.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  2:34:35 PM  Show Profile
our local nursery carried them. I was on the road too much this spring to get starts going this year, but hope to save some seeds and try them again. Jalepenos yesterday and the anneheim are growing. So many I am about to be overwhelmed by them. That's a good thing.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic canning green peppers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page