vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  6:04:30 PM  Show Profile
I know this has been a thread on here before but would love to hear pros and cons from gals who live in one.

I'm thinking about purchasing one. Found one this week that I just fell in love with. The price is right and it could be sooooo Ffarmgirl when I get my hands on it
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.dreamingofsprintime.etsy.com
Love that good ole vintage junk

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  05:09:22 AM  Show Profile
I have quite a few family members who live in modular homes, and I know the terms modular and manufactured get tossed around interchangeably quite a bit even though they mean different things regarding the house. Have you checked on financing for them? I know that here in MN its next to impossible to get a loan for one right now unless you buy it right off the lot and put it on land you have. I don't want to be discouraging, I just wanted to let you know what our experience has been the last six months. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  05:52:11 AM  Show Profile
We put one on property I own because my old house had 18 steps to climb to and I had developed heart failure, so for us, it's been good. However, they are considered a mobile home and do not increase in value like most houses do and the interest rate is high. The really good plus side is they are super insulated(newer ones) and your heating and cooling costs are quite a bit less. They are made a little on the cheap side, and I don't think they would hold up to rowdy children splashing water in the bathroom and around the kitchen sink, but we like ours. Mostly, it's the decrease in value that's the drawback.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  07:17:00 AM  Show Profile
I like ours ok. I would honestly prefer a house but due to financial limits I got a MH (cheaper than a house but still paying more than I think it is actually worth but I've got to have somewhere to live). The quality of "craftsmanship" (if you can call it that) is not too great IMO, but it works. Like Oleta said, it is extremely well insulated and my issue with that is that unless all of the windows are open I can't hear what's going on outside. I grew up in a house (with poor insulation,lol) and you could hear everything going on outside with the animals and when someone drove up in the yard, etc. I really don't like that I can't hear outside anymore. I do like my MH because it's mine, I'm glad that I have it. It has lots more floorspace than what I would have gotten in having a house built for the same price (if I could have gotten a house built for the same price). If I had known the things when I got this MH that I know now (from dealing with the lender and manufacturer, getting things fixed, the whole gripe I have with the people who did the "set up" etc) I think I would have purchased a huge tent to put on my property and built a house myself one board at a time.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  07:42:53 AM  Show Profile
In this economy, I bet you could build a small home for the price of a new med-large manufactured home.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6583 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6583 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  07:56:05 AM  Show Profile
We live in a 1800 square foot modular, it was 4 years old when we bought it. We never wanted to live in one as we want a Log Cabin but at the time there was not one available. We love ours it is so nice, I have a beautiful island in the kitchen and I never had one before, it is wonderful for baking. I have garden tub that has a big window that overlooks our property, it is bigger than a normal tub and every time I take my bubble bath I feel like I am at a spa, I love it. Until we find our log cabin in the woods this works for hubby and I and our 4 dogs and canary, we have 3 acres and we see Pikes Peak Mountains from our deck. And, I feel blessed and thankful every day of my life to be right where I am right now.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  09:34:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
This is great info. I am researching MHs as well. After the passing of my beloved FIL, our family really needs to be back on the farm. Lists of small put buildings, and three small homes on the farm, bit the cost of permits in our county, makes it more expensive to build on and add, then to destroy and rebuild. the homes are 100 years old, and I can't fathom knocking them down. We are thinking we will just put a MH on a back plot for the 7 of us. With 5 kids living with us, the quality and workmenship matters! Food for thought!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  09:57:05 AM  Show Profile
We were looking at some models where we live and I was very impressed by the quality and the room. These homes are well designed bungalows. Just do your research.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  1:26:20 PM  Show Profile
A couple things I learned when I bought mine.

* make sure everything has access doors - thankfully mine did but I talked to a lot of people with newer models that had to tear out walls to get to water heaters because there were no access doors

* make sure you have at least two or more access doors under your MH if you're on a cement pad - I'd suggest putting one on each side and at opposite ends of the MH

* I found out that MH spring water line leaks on a regular basis so you need to be able to check on this periodically - they start as pinhole leaks and grow larger

* the floors deteriorate faster then in a regular home - I had two people tell me to except to have to replace the flooring (the boards) all the way down to the studs approximately every 8 years

* they do require maintenance and it tends to double (or more) the price if you have to pay to have it done once you mention its a MH

* they have come out with a lot of new features to make them more energy efficient - I found tubes that you put under your trailer on either side that run the entire length of the trailer that you ill with water to insulate under the trailer and provide some thermal heat - I told the trailer before I could purchase them though

I enjoyed my trailer for the most part - wish I would have had the money to have done more renovations and repairs then what I did but it was a warm, inviting home after I did some painting and decorating

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  2:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
We have lived in our manufactured home for 11 years now and love it. We bought it new and were lucky because it was an anniversary edition and several rooms are tape and texture. We bought ours because we couldn't afford a stick built. We are on 2 1/2 acres and purchased home and land together. No problem with financing, but the laws could be different here in Nevada.

A.J.

Work is love made visible. ~ Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  07:33:36 AM  Show Profile
We've lived in ours for 3 years. It was the compromise we had to make to also have land. I can't remember off hand what it's called but the house has some kind of "lock" so it can't be hauled off in the middle of the night. This enabled us to get the standard home mortgage.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kaydee
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Kelli
Texas
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  10:23:36 AM  Show Profile
We just bought a MH that is a 2002 Oak Creek model and has been completely refurbished. No wall paper, has new carpet, linoleum, etc. It's 1640 sq feet and only costs us $37,000 + $4000 moving costs. The place we purchased it from only refurbishes MH's and sells them. So far, I couldn't be more pleased. We had sold our home faster than we thought we would and needed somewhere to live FAST on our acreage in the country. The plan was to only live in the MH for a year or 2 and then build but now we're thinking of staying in it indefinitely. The only surprise I had was the insurance on our MH is almost as much as the insurance was on our 3000+ sq ft brick home. I always joke with my family and friends that we downsized from a McMansion to a McMobile Home-LOL! Life has been so much more enjoyable since I left my job, big house with big mortgage, and moved to the country. The cost was a big pro and so far, I haven't found any real cons.

Whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is the meaning of success. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  2:49:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the info, ladies.
Just got the news today that it is a go and I will be closing on Sept. 1. My daughter and I will wash walls and paint over that weekend and then I will start moving in.

I am finding that it is quite costly to have a gas line put in for my gas kitchen stove so i amy have ot go with the elec stove that is there. Just worried that I won't be able to do a lot of canning on an electric stove.

Can't wait to get moved in and turn it into my little farmgirl cottage style home

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.dreamingofspringtime.etsy.com
Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic manufactured Home?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page