Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Needing suggestions on coloring hair
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Needing suggestions on coloring hair Next Topic  

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  4:23:55 PM  Show Profile
I have previously been getting my hair done at my friends salon. She charges me $65 to cut and color my hair. I love the way she colors my hair, but I feel like there should be a cheaper, healthier, earth-friendly way to color my hair. Also, she has recently tried to start trouble between me and my MIL...we both go to her and since I have chosen to stay home with my children, they have been talking about "why in the world would she want to be home all day with those kids. She should be working." I feel like my decisions as a mom is not up for their discussions. Also, I don't know why in the world my MIL would complain...when I DID work and was pregnant she watched my son and would always say, "I don't know what I'm gonna do when that other baby gets here. I don't know how I will babysit them both." She would also complain to our hairdresser about this. Then our hairdresser would tell me that my MIL is so stressed out worrying about watching 2 kids. So, I stay home now...but not just for those reasons...I just don't want to miss out on their sweet lives and milestones. I have always wanted to be a stay at home mom...especially while they are so young. ANYWAYS...my main question is...any suggestions on doing my hair myself? Any good products you would recommend? And then there is the issue of how to break it to my hairdresser that I won't be returning...any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  7:55:58 PM  Show Profile
Well, I guess re the hairdresser...being me and not too shy about my opinions--hee hee---I would prob tell her I won;t be coming back since she uses me as a conversation piece :0)--but in a nice way of course!
Kudos from one stay at home om to another! We give up many extras so I can stay home and after doing this for 19+ years I have VERY few regrets---if any at all!
Finally, Garnier sells a "natural" hair color---also Natural instincts. Now personally, I have tried them both and was not too thrilled with the outcome---the color was much darker than shown so if you do try them, maybe go a shade or 2 lighter??? Truth is though, I don;t know how "natrual" they are. I mean, they don't have amonia in them...but not sure about everything else?
I love Preference by L'Oreal...an older but a goodie and Feria is also good for great dimension. At $7-10 a box, that's WAY better tham a salon!!!
God luck with your hair and the talkies of some people :0)!

Just a Brooklyn, NY gal trying to figure out this country thing after 12+ years in the woods of NE PA! Wife of my HS sweetie going on 23 years and mom to the amazing four ages 19(g), 17(s), 14(s), 13(s)!
Donna
Sister # 3062
http://restingunderthepinetree.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  10:13:55 PM  Show Profile
Donna, I really appreciate your suggestions! I think I will definately take a stroll down the hair color aisle... I guess they are at least better just for the fact that Iwon't have to put out the "gas pollution" to drive the 35 minute to her salon...the store is much closer :) I will be saving money and precious time I could be spending with my babies...I think my best friend and I can have a little hair dye party while our kids are napping :)

Farmgirl Sister # 241
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  07:34:58 AM  Show Profile
Cecily
I would not even say anything to your hairdresser & if you run into her, just say that you are coloring yourself to save money.
I am far to chicken to do it myself.
I am sold on Aveda, but you do have to go to a salon. Their coloring is much less harsh & does use natural ingredients like chamomile etc. Plus, the salon I go to has a massage table that you lay down on to get your hair washed, also they soak your hands in a paraffin dip, give a hand massage & a mini neck/head back massage with essential oils. All included in the price!
It runs me about $95 (I only go about every 4 months), but I paid more for that at another salon that did not have the extra goodies.
Good luck with your hair party!!
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  08:34:13 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, that sounds amazing! I am lucky in the fact that my twin sister is a massage therapist :) I think we will have a fun, fun party :)

Farmgirl Sister # 241
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  2:42:34 PM  Show Profile
Hey Cecily,

Sorry to hear about the gossiping. That stinks. I wouldn't have a problem explaining why you will be coloring your hair yourself. Maybe she needs to know that word gets around when you gossip.

I used to use permanent hair color (trying to get my natural hair color back after the sun making it brassy). I found out through my hairdresser that what permanent color actually does is strip the pigment from the hair and then deposits the color. She has suggested that if I do color to use a demi- or semi-permanent color so I won't damage my hair.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  5:02:39 PM  Show Profile
Sharon, that is great information and I'm glad you told me before I go hair color shopping...I didn't know that about the permanent colors stripping your natural color. I will definately look for the demi or semi permanents. Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister # 241
Go to Top of Page

sweettea
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Candace
St Cloud MN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  6:49:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cecily! I used to be a cosmetologist and worked in a couple salons in the area. I would go with the semi-permanent hair color. It's much more gentle to the hair. Sometimes people go too dark with their haircolor. If you go a shade lighter it will show up lighter on any grey you have and look like highlights. Another option...if you have someone who can help you with it perhaps you could try a home highlighting kit. Highlights grow out gradually and look less harsh as they do. You can go longer in between highlights because of that.

Myself...I decided to stop coloring my hair about 10 years ago. My hair was resistant to haircolor and I was tired of coloring it. I decided to become beautifully grey.

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

Edited by - sweettea on Aug 05 2011 6:52:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  2:30:37 PM  Show Profile
Candice, thanks so much for your advice...I was looking into semi-permanent :) when my best friend is in town, she will be doing my hair, so I might have her do the highlight kit...we'll see. Excited to see how it will turn out. My natural color is a dull mousy brown/blonde...no gray yet...but I do LOVE gray hair. I hope mine turns a stark white :)

Farmgirl Sister # 241
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  11:25:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi! I don't color my hair and I haven't used any treatments, but I just saw over on BulkHerbStore a treatment for your hair that helps nourish it with all natural ingredients. They have them for all hair colors. It's worth checking out...save you from the toxicity of the dye for sure.
http://www.bulkherbstore.com/BHB?s=Admin%20|%20hair

~April

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  08:53:31 AM  Show Profile
I love Aveda products too and I get my hair done while pregnant because my hair dresser usings totally natural hair coloring. I keep forgetting to ask her what it is but I've been getting my hair done with her for about 8 years now and I wouldn't go to anyone else! When my husband and I move out west I will come back once a year and make sure I have an appointment with her when I do come back, I love how healthy my hair is despite me coloring it, tinting it and highlighting it. All because of natural products! Even when I put blond highlights in it they don't ever feel like straw. Plus I give myself oil treatments once a month and I rinse with vinegar after the oil and I use either Nature's Gate products, Aveda products or PhytoOrganics products on my hair. If I blowdry my hair I use Moroccan Oil on it while still damp to protect it from the heat plus since I have really thick hair it also helps my hair dry faster than without the Moroccan Oil. I guess I found someone who could help me bring out the best in my hair and help me stay as healthy as possible! I hope and wish every woman that gets their hair done could find someone that can do that for them too!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Needing suggestions on coloring hair Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page