mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  12:17:47 PM  Show Profile
I have a young doe who is a first freshener this year. She is a Boer/Nubian cross (mostly Boer) In April, she gave birth to twins. Several weeks later, I started to milk her once a day. Everything mostly went fine, but her udder seemed a little oddly lumpy. The whole thing wasn't lumpy, but there were odd little nodules toward the bottom of her udder/top of her teats that were rock hard and seemed to bother her when I milked. At about this same time, one of her knees gradually started to become enlarged. It eventually was at least twice the size of normal. No temp. No limping. Even though she had tested negative for CAE the previous September, I had blood drawn and sent it off to WSU. I had her tested again for CAE and CL. Both tests came back negative. She now has 2 negative tests within a 9 month time-frame, so I am pretty sure she really is negative. After her tests came back negative the second time, I decided to treat it as an infection and gave her a SQ injection of 9cc's of BioMycin. I followed this with another 4 days later. Then I waited the 5 days for it to clear her body and yesterday milked her again for the first time since all this began. She is greatly improved, and seems comfortable and agreeable, but I can still detect some lumpiness to her udder and the one knee is still bigger than the other. Does anyone out there have any ideas?

This is Buttercup, the morning after her kids were born. Her knee still looks normal here.

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  1:13:09 PM  Show Profile
Kristi, my doea, Sandy, had the lumpy udders too. Right around the top of the teats and lower udder. Her twin bucks were born in April. It was them doing it. As soon as the kids left she was back to normal again. So if her kids are still nursing, they could be the culprits. Sandy's boys were rough on her. And your are about the same age. Are they still on her now?

As far as the swollen knee, I don't know. Is it bothering her at all? Does it feel soft or hard? If soft, can you squeeze it to see if anything comes out? It could just be an abcess. A few times Sandy has had places like that and it's like where a piece of hay has gotten into the skin and it's gotten infected.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  1:42:56 PM  Show Profile
The knee has never seemed to bother her. No lameness and no heat in it. It is firm, and I have never been able to squeeze anything out or find a wound opening. While still enlarged, it is somewhat better now. When I saw 2 symptoms that included a hard udder and swollen joints, the first place my mind went was CAE. Now I do NOT believe it is that anymore, but darned if I can figure out what it IS. I do have a problem with Sage Rats digging burrows in the bottom of my pasture. I suppose she could have stepped in one and twisted it.

Yes, Buttercups twins (a buckling and a doeling) are still on her, and they can be pretty rough. Poor girl.

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  07:35:57 AM  Show Profile
hi kristi, i was wondering how she is doing today? she and her baby are so pretty. we are going to be hot here today. hope you have a cool shade spot handy. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  5:26:00 PM  Show Profile
She is actually in the separation pen waiting to be milked this afternoon. There is good shade in there. I had to be at work early, and only had time to milk the Saanens before I left, so I left Buttercup and Elci in the pasture with their kids until around 1. Then my boys separated them for an evening milking. She seems about the same today as yesterday.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Mystery Weirdness Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page