Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Holy Cow!! We've been married a DECADE--gift???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Holy Cow!! We've been married a DECADE--gift??? Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  06:30:28 AM  Show Profile
Next week, Justin and I will celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary (and his 39th birthday)...and I hate to say this, but I am stumped. We're broke (when are we not?) and I'm feeling the added pressue of this being a "milestone" anniversary for giftgiving. Isn't that how men are supposed to react ? We are going to have a weekend away but it's 2 weeks after our actual anniversary because that's the only time we could schedule it.

Anyhoo, here's what I was going to do to sort of "mark" the occasion--and I'm open to many other suggestions, because I just feel sort of...well, blank--can't think of anything that would be good enough!!!
There is a cookie company here in Cincy that uses antique reprod German cookies molds: https://www.queencitycookies.com/index.html

Take a look--gorgeous and I understand they are incredible to eat, too. They have so many different molds (even a Violet, like our daughter) that I wanted to get 10 cookies, one for each year, and one image representing something in our life.

What do you think? The "traditional" gift for 10 years is tin...or diamonds. Since he's not a diamond guy, and I can't think of ANYTHING tin, I'm sort of up a creek!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  06:51:47 AM  Show Profile
First off congrats on the ten years! I know what you mean about not having the money but feeling the pressure to mark the milestone. That was us last year!

Secondly, those cookies are gorgeous! I think that's a great idea. :) I'm wondering though...since they are so pretty...how do you eat them?? ;)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  07:05:47 AM  Show Profile
Find a cool tin to put the cookies in
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  12:51:31 PM  Show Profile
A big happy farmsister congratulations on your 10th anniversary!!! We are pretty much in the same boat financially, so I really understand. The cookies sound lovely!

I think I would take the time (I know, when huh ???) and cook his favorite meal and then go someplace fun a personally special to you =) look in local arty-type papers and see if there is a free or low cost music event or such that you can go to together. We have it easy, because we live withing spitting distance from two universities and there is always something to go watch or listen to. But it might be worth looking into around your town =)

Just some thoughts from a fellow broke sister!

What ever you do, spend some time together and happy, happy Anniversary!!!

HUGS!!!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  2:18:02 PM  Show Profile
Well, congratulations first! That's a big year. And I agree with Lisa. Find a really cool guy sort of tim to put the cookies in. He can use it later for guy stuff, like tools or nails or whatever.

My hubby and I went to a B&B in N. Carolina for our 10th. It was great. I want to go back. Y'all have fun on your get away.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  5:11:45 PM  Show Profile
My Hubby and I were super broke(and still are) for our 10th. We got some family to take the kids and went to our local buffet style restraunt, then spent the evenin with a movie on the couch.

We have always found a day or two of relaxin was the best for us. It's pretty much all we've ever done for our anniversary.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  5:51:11 PM  Show Profile
There's always *that one thing* that he wants to try or enjoys in the boudoir that you're none too fond of... every couple has *that one thing* and it's different for everyone. That's always free, and appreciated. I think showing a man that his wife of 10 years is still one hot mama (hotter even) is a pretty good gift!

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Jul 26 2011 5:52:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  8:34:43 PM  Show Profile
Congrats to you, Jonni! How about a love letter, reminiscing about all the special moments he has given you - the true "diamonds" you treasure about your life together... tell him about all those moments you've noticed and remember, but maybe ones you don't mention enough... and maybe a couple of pictures or tokens to go along with that?

Also, we've always enjoyed a special picnic brunch by the water or at a park - a special basket full of basket goodies (croissants with Nutella or jam, strawberries with pineapple and marshmallows on skewers drizzled with chocolate, eggs, bacon, sausage coffee and sparkling juice - stuff like that; you get the idea!)... spread out a nice old quilt, use your best china and crystal and silver and cloth napkins wrapped in twine or raffia with a flower tucked in for good measure (whatever you've got's fine - it doesn't have to be REAL china and crystal - the point is that it will be special), and just love each other - true wealth is the richness of the love and life you share! ENJOY!!!

Best wishes for a wonderful celebration, Jonni!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  07:17:07 AM  Show Profile
What great ideas! Jen, you're right about that! In fact, I'm blessed that my husband says I'm even more hot after having a baby (at 37)! I'm a lucky woman!

I will try to find a tin for the cookies--I know they come nicely packaged, but maybe I can find one big enough for the packaging. I like the picnic ideas--it's about 800 degrees here, so we might just have to do that in the living room floor!

I actually feel so nervous about this anniversary--so many things that I want to say about how much he means to me, how much our life means to me, our wee little girl and our happy little cottage, but then I feel like it would just fall short in conveying everything I actually DO feel! Sortof like when you first start dating! That worry about how a gift will be received, or the first time you say "I love you".

Anyhoo, I scanned this picture in for next week so I can change my profile pic to this, or put it on my page on our actual anniversary. Thought you guys might like to see the "just married us", 10 years ago, August 4th.

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  07:41:45 AM  Show Profile
If you know how to make a little slide show of pictures when you dated and then young married life, etc. up to now. Or if you know someone who could do that. The bedroom stuff of course. Maybe a favorite dinner or dessert.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  9:12:37 PM  Show Profile
Crud. I'm going to have to do this "10th year stuff" next year...

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  05:53:40 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, it's not any less stressing than when I originally posted, Jen. It's one of those things--trying to find meaning in something that doesn't cost a gazillion dollars, but trying to find ENOUGH meaning so it's special.

The more I thought about the cookies, as lovely as they are, they aren't permanent--and it would be $50 of not permanent, so my money would be better spent on our trip a few weekends from now. I'm going to find a lovely card, maybe make it myself, and then buy some Gerbera daisy's which were the flowers I gave to my husband on his birthday, near our first date, and some of the flowers in our wedding.

Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  07:03:55 AM  Show Profile
Congrats on 10 years! I was also going to suggest making a little movie on the computer--if you are handy, you can put music to it and burn it to a disc so you can play it on the tv, too.

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  07:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Jonni,
At my age..he he...I have come to realize it isn't the amount you spend on a present that seems to matter it is the thought. I truly believe that if you spending some alone quality time (which not many people are able to do in these days) would be one of the best gifts. On my anniversary I made a little coupon book from my hubby...a kiss, a backrub etc. He really loved it. Then I made his favorite breakfast and served him in bed, his favorite desert for later and then his favorite supper. We spent time together holding hands and thinking of all that we have shared...I'm sure what ever you do it will be wonderful....Penny

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

So Keep Smiling!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  08:41:22 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I just wanted to tell you how beautiful you look in your wedding photo. Very classy!
I know that you will find the perfect thing to share with your husband and friend of 10 + years =)
I love Gerberas, you can't go wrong with flowers!

Wishing you, Jus and Violet a fantastic weekend!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  09:02:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone. Still thinking :)
Thank you, Annika. It's one of my favorite pictures, and truly one of the only pictures I've ever loved of myself. In fact, you can tell how truly happy I am on my wedding day by the pictures--some of the best I've ever taken. Thanks so much for the good wishes for the weekend. I'm looking forward to some time with my little family, even if it IS going to be 800 degrees!!!

Here's hoping you have a great weekend, too!

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  12:59:38 PM  Show Profile
What are his hobbies? (Golf/fishing/video games etc?)
You could always make some different cookies. Saucer sized oatmeal and molasses cookies go well in tins and are popular gifts. (The moist kind that melt in your mouth are a rare treasure.)
The video slideshow is a good idea, and they are easy to do with a program called Windows Movie Maker (and it's free from microsoft, may already be on your computer anyway.)

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Jul 29 2011 1:02:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  1:12:27 PM  Show Profile
Is there some where you could either get a REALLY good photo taken for 50 dollars? Like a awesome one? Or maybe a tin type photo taken? They aren't as elegant as a really good photographer, however, fun and involves TIN! lol In Branson, Mo there is tons of these booth things for the tin types. BUT, one lady in one of the flea markets is a real photography artist. And she thinks outside the box and get some really neat poses, that are original but also really well taken. One of my favorites is my husband and I in a old time bathtub. Pretty funny but also pretty sexy, it looks like we don't have clothes on the way she shot it but we did indeed have our clothes on! lol haha But, any way, I keep it in our bedroom only picture even though nothing is really showing, it's still...a hot pic! and she could of put it on tin for us too!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  5:26:12 PM  Show Profile
Congrats! Thank you for posting this as you guys have given me some ideas. I'm at the 10 year mark in August and am lost. Although I think my father-in-law is coming to visit and said they would babysit so we might get to go out to dinner that weekend as just a couple. We love having the kids with us but sometimes it is nice to have it just be us once in awhile.

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  6:48:49 PM  Show Profile
oh just as a btw, the lady I am speaking of is not the kind you LEAVE with the picture. She is a artist like I said, so she takes it and then it takes her a while, she works with the photo a few days tweaking it and getting it just right. I had originally went to that flea market looking for something totally different, but when I had to stand in her booth waiting to use the bathroom while I was there, I noticed her pics on the wall being so much different then most of those types of places-original! Not just the average every day saloon girl type things, she had some really original poses, and ideas, along with very well taken pics. Ones I had never seen any where else like it. You either had to wait and come back in a week, or since it's a touristy type area, she would also mail you the pics when done. I chose the mail, and she packaged things really well in the mail. Did take her a bit longer then had expected, but she explained in a letter her mother had died unexpectedly and all that involved, etc, and why she was so late in mailing it-she worked all by herself no other helpers etc. I wasn't upset about it since it was fullfilled in the end, and can totally understand such a tragic unexpected event-she was VERY young, shouldn't have lost her mother at such a young age!

Oh and another thing I like about this pic, is it's just for us. Most of our pics we always give to our parents, and grandparents, etc. This one we only bought one of, and it's for us only. At the same time when we die and our kids find it or see it it wouldn't be anything to be really embarrassed about, kwim?

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  9:54:13 PM  Show Profile
Tin types are neat but take a really long time, I used to get them when I was civil war reenacting and the one I actually popped to do of myself looked.... not so hot :( It's impossible to hold a smile for 30 minutes while they get it set up <_<

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  11:25:10 PM  Show Profile
Well there is new tin type stuff now. I think now most people use a digital camera and then lazer it on to the tin type at least that's how it looks on ours. I know we didn't have to stand/sit longer then any other photos really.

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  11:04:33 AM  Show Profile
AH new-fangled technology... we did it the old fashioned way using 19th century methods, and in the parlance of *our* times.... it sucked! LOL

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  11:10:14 AM  Show Profile
Yeah cause I know a lot of these booths are at even amusement parks and you leave with them at the end of the day. I know kids wanting to go on the rides aren't going to stand with mom and dad 30 plus minutes for a pic! lol haha So yeah I'm pretty sure it's some new fangaled lazor printer thing or something like that.

Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  08:13:00 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
WE really didnt do much for our 10 year but did go away for the weekend for our 15th year. We are now on our way to our 20th year!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  08:16:08 AM  Show Profile
Well, we celebrated by going to dinner at a new restaurant about a 1/2 hour away, in Warsaw, a pretty little river town down Hwy 42. It was really nice, however, we had our 2 year old with us and she always gets car sick...and this night was no exception. Bummer. But, after she gets sick (and we're all cleaned up) she's usually in a much better humor and has quite the appetite. So, we had a lovely, casual dinner and then came back home to eat the rest of his devil's food with dark chocolate iced birthday cake from the night before :)

We're going to Louisville in a couple of weeks to "officially" celebrate, sans the wee girl, so we're both really looking forward to that!

Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Holy Cow!! We've been married a DECADE--gift??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page