Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 Is there anything growing in your garden?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Is there anything growing in your garden? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Hope Floats
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Texas
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  5:04:15 PM  Show Profile
I have cantaloupe, watermelon, peas, okra, peppers, cucumbers, gourds and giant pumpkins growing right now. It's been so hot here and with the extreme drought we're going through I'm surprised that anything is growing. Has anyone ever had much luck growing the giant pumpkins? This will be our first time, I heard it was best to feed them worm tea, but since I don't currently have any worms, I thought I would feed them rabbit poop tea. I'll let you know how it all works out....
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  9:12:03 PM  Show Profile
We've had so much water here that EVERYTHING is growing twice as large as usual. Cukes, pumpkins,edamame, tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, peppers, chinese lanterns, Mexican sunflowers, false indigo, basil, dill (almost as tall as me), and of course weeds. The weeds are so large they look like they need harvesting, not removing. 5th hottest summer on record and the most wet. We already have 15,000 lakes and lots of flooded stuff. I got new carpeting for my sewing room and the computer room on the main floor because of the flooding. Supposed to cool a bit (not 90's and 100's)soon. After all we have to get ready for snow in October or November. happy gardening!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

CherryHillFarms
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Esther
Churubusco Indiana
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  1:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Send CherryHillFarms a Yahoo! Message
It's just recently rained here after a couple weeks of no rain. We have tomatoes, bell peppers, sweet corn, popcorn, green beans, and pumpkins. The peppers and beans are on the wimpy side, but everything else is growing well.

http://bairfootdays.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  4:48:51 PM  Show Profile

One thing that grows very well in my yard are sunflowers this is actually from a seed from last years flowers.

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  6:05:46 PM  Show Profile
There was until the landlady's goats broke down a fence and ate everything! All that I have left is catmint! Bigger stronger fences next year!!! Blasted goats!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  06:36:13 AM  Show Profile
Woke up to these this morning

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  07:18:10 AM  Show Profile
Wow! and then I said it backwards! Wow! Absolutely beautiful! Why would we need artificial anything? Beautiful photo too! Knock your socks off color! Thanks for sharing!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  10:44:47 AM  Show Profile

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  7:21:28 PM  Show Profile
Such beautiful flowers and all!!!

I was away last week and my corn really shot up while I was gone.
All of my veggies appear healthy and growing.
We're having a good balance of rain and sun here.

I have:
-Sweet Corn
-Carnival Carrots
-Red Beets
-Golden Beets
-Basil

My Rhubarb is finished and a well-meaning helper pulled all my poppies. : (

I haven't harvested anything yet but I will start to pretty soon, I think.

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  04:29:01 AM  Show Profile
I've got tomatoes, basil, dill, cilantro, parsley, pumpkins (Too early!), cucumbers, cabbage (Which I need to take in soon)...my brussel sprouts and broccoli haven't done a darn thing beyond come up a foot, and my beans aren't doing much either.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BusyBeeMary
True Blue Farmgirl

178 Posts

Mary
Nampa Idaho
178 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  3:33:48 PM  Show Profile  Send BusyBeeMary a Yahoo! Message
I just love this topic, I'm a freak with my garden flowers and veges, even though its small now because of limited space. But in containers I have strawberries toooo dieeeee for! I have basil, oregano, thyme, zucchini, tomatoes and flowers everywhere. Can't wait to move to Idaho and grow enough to feed a town.
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  06:46:38 AM  Show Profile
I have mostly tomatoes and onions. I had peas that are done and turnips that I have a few of left. I have a little lettuce, some carrots, loads of dill (it really is a weed), thyme, basil, chamomile, sage, chives, tarragon, peppermint, spearmint, and marigolds. I only wish I could get the hollyhocks to grow. I love hollyhocks but can't seem to get the seeds to take off. Oh, and I have a crazy squash or something that came up in the middle of my onions that has gone crazy. Probably some sort of hybrid now since some of the fruit looks like watermelon and some looks kinda like butternut, and some others look like zuchinni. Who knows? I've debated ripping it out but I kinda want to see what it turns out like. I do have zuchinni and cucumbers that are slowly starting to produce. I've never had much luck with either of them.

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  09:51:48 AM  Show Profile
Katrina- I would let it grow to see if it produces. You never know. If it's tasty, save the seeds and try to grow again next year.

I'm growing some swiss chard, some lettuce is bolting, a couple of okra plants, some kind of vining spinach plant, oregano, cinnamon basil, sweet yellow peppers, sweet potatoes, eggplant, jicama, and a tomato. It's too hot and dry for it to produce. Patiently waiting for some fall weather.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  08:52:08 AM  Show Profile
It's definitely not the tomatoes. I think I shorted them of water early on and this is payback. I have a few tomatoes, but not many on 10 plants. My morning glories have not bloomed yet, but have climbed to the top of the trellis. I hope they bloom before too long. My sunflowers are another story. I have one that must be 9 ft tall. The blooms aren't really large, but will keep the birds happy. The zucchini has outdone itself again. Greenbeans are through for this year. Now the eggplant and green peppers are doing okay. There's always next year!

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

lanikyea
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Lani
Clayton New Mexico
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  8:23:42 PM  Show Profile
This year's garden has had a hard time due to heat and drougth but we are harvesting beans(3 kinds) squash, honeydew melons. The garlic harvest in late June was very good. Both hard necks and soft necks did well and I won blue ribbons in the County Fair with them.

"If you stumble make it part of your dance"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Is there anything growing in your garden? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page